Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

7 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Not a good sign, any fish that doesn’t eat is not gonna end well. Try garlic infused foods or live brine shrimp. 

Do you think it’s possible that he is eating, he’s just scavenging later? He seems to get scared when I feed and goes into hiding. I’m just hoping he eats later. I tried garlic infused food, I can try live brine shrimp next. 

5 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

Do you think it’s possible that he is eating, he’s just scavenging later? He seems to get scared when I feed and goes into hiding. I’m just hoping he eats later. I tried garlic infused food, I can try live brine shrimp next. 

I think it's likely he is eating some form of pods in your tank. I'd do my best to keep the pod population up and spot feed mysis, bbs etc

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Did you see him eating at lfs? 

No, I ordered him from live aquaria (divers den). They said he was eating frozen mysis though, and I’ve found them to be quite trustworthy so far. 

2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I think it's likely he is eating some form of pods in your tank. I'd do my best to keep the pod population up and spot feed music, bbs etc

Ok I can do that, my LFS sells copepods, I’ll restock the tank a few times and hopefully he’ll come around to eating mysis. 

• Like 2

I wasn't kidding before when I said most people put those in their tanks and only see them again during tank-moves or rockwork changes, they eat just about anything and hate eating or existing where they can be seen, at least from what I've read I don't think anyone who owns one really gets to see them eat and they certainly don't seem to be interested in coming out to be fed. Maybe shoot LA an email and see what/how/when they were feeding it and how they knew it was eating.

• Like 3

Hey friends. Two questions. 

1. How challenging are gonioporas to keep? I’ve had a lot of success with softies, clams, and some LPS corals. My frogspawn and hammer are very happy. There is a goni that I desperately want to get, but it’s expensive and would be my first one. If they tend to be tricky, maybe I shouldn’t start out with a pricy one. 

2. Has anyone ordered a clownfish from ars clownfish? They have a baby clown that I want, but he’s not ready to be shipped yet. I’m contemplating putting down a deposit to hold him, and I’d feel a lot better about it if I knew someone else who had good dealings with them. 

mitten_reef
8 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

1. How challenging are gonioporas to keep? I’ve had a lot of success with softies, clams, and some LPS corals. My frogspawn and hammer are very happy. There is a goni that I desperately want to get, but it’s expensive and would be my first one. If they tend to be tricky, maybe I shouldn’t start out with a pricy one. 

They're not as challenging as some internet feedbacks would suggest.  IME, they prefer regular feeding (direct and/or indirect) and stable alkalinity to thrive.  It is believed that they enjoy water with a little more N and P in it.  So if you keep your tank extremely clean, it will not be a good candidate for your tank (I don't measure either N or P in my tank, so I can't say that with experience).  As with any "first coral" of any type, it'd be advisable not to purchase a pricey/expensive one.  

• Like 4

On 6/21/2019 at 12:03 PM, Hannahhhh said:

@Snow_Phoenix had a brotulid maybe she can offer some advice. 

Snow_Phoenix

I had a brotulid but I never saw him truly eat anything. Yet he never lost any weight, so I presume he was snacking on some pods and microfauna in the tank. He was nocturnal and very cryptic though - only saw him a handful of times when I had him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I had a brotulid but I never saw him truly eat anything. Yet he never lost any weight, so I presume he was snacking on some pods and microfauna in the tank. He was nocturnal and very cryptic though - only saw him a handful of times when I had him. 

Ok, well hopefully my guy is eating too. Mine is so shy, but my tank is little so I see him around a bunch. 

Quick video tour of my tank! It’s about three months old! So glad I finally decided to try out reef keeping! I love it so much, I’m never going back!

• Like 4
On 5/20/2019 at 1:06 PM, pricewayne said:

Serious envy for that feather duster. It's so nice!

& your goby peeking out of its rock cave is adorable.

Hey I know you posted this awhile back, but I just saw that live aquaria has a nice coco worm for sale! It seems pretty similar to mine (and even prettier colored). If I wasn’t broke I’d go for it! You should check it out! 

https://m.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/468196/magnificent-hard-tube-coco-worm-pink

Took some pics tonight. I love when the tube coral is extended, it’s probably my favorite coral in the tank! I also added a picture of my new(ish) rainbow bubble tip anemone. I’ve been really lucky with it so far, it hasn’t moved once. I think it helped that it came attached to a piece of rock, so I was able to position it exactly where I wanted. 

A8D78470-138F-4807-8F9F-80426BE712FB.jpeg

A38D3CB8-C6EF-4E72-8239-4CC63860BBA6.jpeg

F3613D11-C66B-4EBE-AA61-218D3836CA60.jpeg

26926B4F-CAF1-4AED-9633-40F868712723.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2

Hey Hannah, I found a coco worm and just added it to the tank after seeing yours. Didn't even know these things existed until I saw yours. How is yours doing? Do you feed yours or anything special I need to know? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 3:28 PM, msummerf said:

Hey Hannah, I found a coco worm and just added it to the tank after seeing yours. Didn't even know these things existed until I saw yours. How is yours doing? Do you feed yours or anything special I need to know? 

Hey @msummerf so sorry for never replying, I only just saw your post! I’m glad you got a coco worm, I love mine. I feed mine reef roids 2-3 times a week, sometimes less often. I also turkey baste the rocks fairly regularly. The other important thing is to make sure it’s not under too much current. Post pictures of your worm!

Hey guys. So two updates. My rainbow bubble tip anemone died today. It was coming apart when I fed my fish this evening so I removed as much of it as possible. Then the rest fell out and so I got all of it out. I’m not sure what happened to it, it never tried moving locations. 

Secondly, my little maxima clam seems very unhappy. It looks like it’s mantle is receding and I can kind of see through part of its hinge 😞 I think it might have been really upset with it’s location since I had him on the sand. I tried moving him upwards and onto the rock work. Does anyone have any other suggestions for him? 

• Sad 1

Damn that sucks about the nem and the clam.  I’ve got three clams... ive been feeding them live phytoplankton i got from amazon.  

My gold maxima isnt extending much either, but the squasmosa is loving life and dersa seems ok.  

Clams are very sensitive to everything, hope ur clam pulls thru. 

The only real advice I've heard is to run carbon, change it frequently, keep cal+alk up, and make sure it's getting allot of light. Otherwise you might want to ensure there isn't allot of pest algae on or near it which may be irritating the animal. But my experience is narrow and limited lol, just tips I've read and things I've tried.

2 hours ago, Amphrites said:

The only real advice I've heard is to run carbon, change it frequently, keep cal+alk up, and make sure it's getting allot of light. Otherwise you might want to ensure there isn't allot of pest algae on or near it which may be irritating the animal. But my experience is narrow and limited lol, just tips I've read and things I've tried.

There are definitely some aptasia growing on the clam, but I thought it might stress him out more to pull him out and scrub him. He seems so close to death that I figure any additional stress will put him over the edge. Also when you say run carbon do you just mean keep changing out the carbon in my filter? Or should I be running more carbon in some additional way?

• Like 1

Just change the activated carbon in your filter once a week, and the aptasia need to go for sure, try injecting them with some hot water mixed with lemon juice, vinegar, and a touch of salt (if you have a needle or thin metal-tipped syringe laying about you won't need to take the clam out of the water)

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Just change the activated carbon in your filter once a week, and the aptasia need to go for sure, try injecting them with some hot water mixed with lemon juice, vinegar, and a touch of salt (if you have a needle or thin metal-tipped syringe laying about you won't need to take the clam out of the water)

Do you know of anything that eats aiptasia? I’ve tried putting super glue over them with no luck. I’m nervous about squiring them with water mixtures since it’s a small tank and I don’t want to mess anything up. Also I checked the clam again, I’m pretty sure he’s dead 😞 I still need to deal with the aiptasia in the tank though.