Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

Generally most corals can stay out of water for long periods of time, you should be good at no longer than 10-20 min to be safe.  Zoas are sometimes shipped dry with just a damp papertowel in a ziplock bag, being out of water won't kill clam. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 748S911 said:

Generally most corals can stay out of water for long periods of time, you should be good at no longer than 10-20 min to be safe.  Zoas are sometimes shipped dry with just a damp papertowel in a ziplock bag, being out of water won't kill clam. 

Thank you! 🙂 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

@billygoat @748S911 @Amphrites @Ratvan or anyone else, does anyone know how long an oyster/clam/bivalve can be out of the water? Im all set up for fragging the zoas and then I went to pull the clam out and realized I have no idea if exposure to the air will kill the clam!

It's hard to say for sure without knowing exactly what species you're dealing with, but most clamlike bivalves are generally pretty hardy when it comes to being out of the water. Mussels and oysters are routinely exposed to air for hours at a time when the tide goes out, for example. Some similar clams that came in on my live rock spent three days in a box with nothing but wet paper towels over them during shipping, and those made it just fine. I'd say that you can remove it from your tank for as long as you need to, provided you don't allow it to dry out completely.

• Like 2

Didn't see the next page lol

Looks like you're having fun!

orig post--They usually just close up to protect themselves until they're in an environment that it likes - just keep dipping it in temperature appropriate water throughout the process.

Sooooo....

After all the good advice I was given, one of the zoas squirted into my eye. I just spent the last 15 minutes flushing it, fingers crossed I’m not gonna die/loose the eye. I had a face mask on, as well as gloves, and eye goggles in the beginning. They kept fogging up though so I took off the goggles... very dumb in hindsight. 

• Wow 3

With tridacnids as long as they're closed up you're usually fine, but most seem to recommend you put a bowl into the tank to just transfer the animal into a smaller container and do your best to keep it submerged, otherwise bubbles can be a problem. But I have no idea for your particular animal and only the bit of reading I've done for my own clam lol.

24 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Sooooo....

After all the good advice I was given, one of the zoas squirted into my eye. I just spent the last 15 minutes flushing it, fingers crossed I’m not gonna die/loose the eye. I had a face mask on, as well as gloves, and eye goggles in the beginning. They kept fogging up though so I took off the goggles... very dumb in hindsight. 

😂, you'll be alright... I went years and years and years messing with my reef, zoas,palys,elegance, anemones, pretty much all the corals lol. Reefing with cuts, stung, juices in my eyes too... and nothing, not to say it wouldn't happen just try to be careful next time.  Did you manage to free your clam and get some frags out?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Sooooo....

There's a lot of variance in danger levels between different types of zoas and palys, and many people handle them for years without any protection and don't have any problems. I think the main reason that protective gear is recommended is that determining the exact species of zoanthids is almost impossible, so you're never a hundred percent sure if the zoas you're dealing with are dangerous or benign. Chances are you will be just fine, though! 

• Like 2

Palytoxin is nasty but weird, the corals seem to be able to control exactly when and why they excrete it and many choose not to or seem to be incapable of producing it even when threatened. That said it's a misconception that only palyothoa and zoanthus produce the toxin, here's a list I found from a study on NIH (or was it ncbi?) a while back.

Patterns of General Toxicity in some soft corals - Borneman, 2009

Regularly highly toxic
Sarcophyton spp.Lobophytum spp., Lemnalia spp.

Variably highly toxic
Cladiella spp., Paralemanalia spp., Sinularia spp.Heteroxenia spp., Nephthea spp., Efflatounaria spp., Cespitularia spp.

Occasionally highly toxic
Xenia spp., Briareum spp., Dendronephthya spp. 

Rarely highly toxic
Anthelia spp., Capnella spp. 

"Even with the list above there are some exceptions. There are some Lemnalia and Sarcophyton species that are consistently very high in toxicity and some Cladiella, Capnella, Anthelia species being consistently low. Lobophytum and Sinularia, along with many other corals, have representatives that are both highly toxic and barely toxic. At least half of the soft corals produce toxic compounds. Furthermore, some soft corals seem to maintain high levels in their tissues, while others release them into the surrounding waters"

Edited by Amphrites
I format, so you can read easy... Hopefully... Someone help I can't stop...
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Lets see your frags!

They look really bad, the zoa got in my eye so I quit halfway and just flushed my eye!

• Like 1

No idea. I peel off and frag in tank water in a separate container. That way Palytoxin is contained if released and less likely to be able to squirt you in the eyes. Also keeps that nasty out the main tank

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Didn't see the next page lol

Looks like you're having fun!

orig post--They usually just close up to protect themselves until they're in an environment that it likes - just keep dipping it in temperature appropriate water throughout the process.

You and me both

@Hannahhhh hope you're okay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

zoa juice could get through those glasses

What kind of alien acid spitting zoanthids have you encountered??

• Haha 5
6 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

LOL @748S911  I dunno, some zoa juice could get through those glasses.  May need a full face snorkel mask.

Hope your eye is OK @Hannahhhh.  I'm sure you'll be fine.  

😂 😂 😂 😂 

Imo, toothpaste was more painful than zoa juice! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

I dread to ask

First time for everything I guess, I was loading up my toothbrush with paste and as I was almost done the last bristle flung a wad of paste in my eyeball lmao!!!! All that advanced white junk and minty goodness stings!! 😜

• Haha 1

I had Lasik done and text my best friend (he works for them) if I was gonna be ok, cause it was still stinging!! He text me the middle finger emoji (can't believe they got rid of that) and asked me how many fingers did I see!!!! 😂 😆 🤣 🤦‍♂️ 

• Haha 1

Well I decided to go to the ER, since I woke up with some extreme eye pain this morning. I’m hoping it’s nothing too serious. It’s also possible that the pain could be from when I aggressively flushed my eye. 

• Wow 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
22 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Well I decided to go to the ER, since I woke up with some extreme eye pain this morning. I’m hoping it’s nothing too serious. It’s also possible that the pain could be from when I aggressively flushed my eye. 

Oh no! Hope you feel better. Keep us posted and what's going on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Awww that sucks, get better soon! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1