Cultivated Reef

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
19 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

So they’ve basically ruled out a bacterial infection for my eye. They cultured my eye and nothing grew. They have me on antibiotics as a precaution. Basically they think it’s an inflammatory response to the toxins. They’ve increased my steroids and are keeping me on oral and topical antibiotics. 

Nature is nuts, but I guess when you are stuck in one spot you need a really good defense to keep things at bay. Keep us posted for sure and feel better. :flower:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 748S911 said:

How are you doing, feeling better I hope.  

It’s slow progress. I was back at the doctor today, he said the fact that I’ve stopped getting worse is encouraging. Hopefully there will be some noticeable improvement in a week or sometime! 

Im thinking of getting rid of those zoas. I know it’s silly since I’ll absolutely keep all my other (equally toxic) ones, but I just can’t look at those Green Bay packers without thinking about my eye. Also I never really loved them to start with and the oyster they’re on doesn’t fit anywhere nicely in my tank. 

In other news, does anyone know if this is aiptasia? It’s attached to the same rock that my newish rainbow BTA is on. When I poked it, it withdrew back into the rock. Any suggestions on how to deal with it?

0CF16C81-EF1C-480E-BBA5-34FE4E4DC546.jpeg

• Wow 1

Thats awesome that your doing much better, good news! You and @Ratvan where looking like twinsies for a moment there and both of you took one for the NR team lol.....

Bye bye cheese heads, an eye for a zoa 😜 😂....

Get rid of it! its aptasia. If you can cut that whole chunk its on even better, don't let aptasia juice get in your tank water cause it will spread like wildfire.  ☠️

• Haha 3

That's almost certainly aiptasia. If its possible to remove the rock from the water (or at least the part of the rock that the aiptasia is attached to), you can pull it out and smother it with super glue. That's a pretty effective way to kill them.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, billygoat said:

That's almost certainly aiptasia. If its possible to remove the rock from the water (or at least the part of the rock that the aiptasia is attached to), you can pull it out and smother it with super glue. That's a pretty effective way to kill them.

I've actually thrown a whole piece of live rock away cause I couldn't get to the sucker in a deep hole.  Thats how much I hate aptasia, you get a full on outbreak of that stuff and it will make you wanna turn in your reef salt and quit the hobby for good lol. 

11 minutes ago, billygoat said:

12 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Get rid of it! its aptasia. If you can cut that whole chunk its on even better, don't let aptasia juice get in your tank water cause it will spread like wildfire.  ☠️

Ugh I don’t really have a way to cut the rock in two. My BTA is attached to that rock and super happy where it is, so I don’t want to pry him off. I think I’ll pull it out of the water and use tweezers to get as much as possible. Then I’ll put superglue on top and keep my fingers crossed. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Ugh I don’t really have a way to cut the rock in two. My BTA is attached to that rock and super happy where it is, so I don’t want to pry him off. I think I’ll pull it out of the water and use tweezers to get as much as possible. Then I’ll put superglue on top and keep my fingers crossed. 

I would not recommend using tweezers for aiptasia. 

Simple hammer and chisel will do. Barring that, a hammer and large slotted (flathead) screwdriver. Barring that, completely sealing it off with superglue. 

• Like 3

I would recommend the super glue without the tweezers. The anemone should withdraw rapidly when it is pulled out of the water, so you can just fill up its entire hole with glue and that should get it. Trying to rip it up into fragments risks getting pieces of aiptasia into your tank, each of which has the potential to grow into a new anemone.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Thats awesome that your doing much better, good news! You and @Ratvan where looking like twinsies for a moment there and both of you took one for the NR team lol.....

Bye bye cheese heads, an eye for a zoa 😜 😂....

Hey now. Dont insult the girl lumping her in with me

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Lol not an insult at all, I look really rough at the moment 😂 plus at least you got hurt for charity!

5 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

I would not recommend using tweezers for aiptasia. 

Simple hammer and chisel will do. Barring that, a hammer and large slotted (flathead) screwdriver. Barring that, completely sealing it off with superglue. 

4 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I would recommend the super glue without the tweezers. The anemone should withdraw rapidly when it is pulled out of the water, so you can just fill up its entire hole with glue and that should get it. Trying to rip it up into fragments risks getting pieces of aiptasia into your tank, each of which has the potential to grow into a new anemone.

Ok thanks for the advice! I will skip the tweezers and just try to seal it off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Lol, I appreciate both reef lessons.

Safety first, and don't get in the ring. Lmao 

Thank You!

• Like 2

As a Chicagoan all I can say is, of course it was the green bag packers. 

I have some in my tank, but I didnt know their designer name at the time I got them. So, now they're gator zoas as far as I'm concerned. It's more fitting anyway since they're not puke green/yellow. 

And your hammer is just what Id call a purple tipped hammer. I have one too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
30 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

As a Chicagoian all I can say is, of course it was the green bag packers. 

I have some in my tank, but I didnt know their designer name at the time I got them. So, now they're gator zoas as far as I'm concerned. It's more fitting anyway since they're not puke green/yellow. 

And your hammer is just what Id call a purple tipped hammer. I have one too. 

Oh huh, mine look way more like gator zoas than Green Bay packers. Mine aren’t nearly as bright as all the pictures of GBP online. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, 748S911 said:

All better? 

I’m on the mend! My eye still looks red, and it hurts if I look too far to the left, but other than that, I’m great! Thanks for asking ☺️

• Like 7
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Hannahhhh said:

I’m on the mend! My eye still looks red, and it hurts if I look too far to the left, but other than that, I’m great! Thanks for asking ☺️

Good to hear!! Glad you still have your eye and vision :happydance:

3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Good to hear!! Glad you still have your eye and vision :happydance:

Me too!!!

I have a question regarding my brotulid. I got him two weeks ago, and I have yet to see him eat. I’m feeding the same thing that he was previously fed (mysis shrimp). I’m still new to this hobby, so I’m not sure if I need to be worried. He’s EXTREMELY shy, and I’m wondering if it’s possible that he’s just foraging later, once I leave. He still looks healthy as far as I can tell, so he must be eating at least a bit, right? I’ve been overfeeding my tank a bit, trying to ensure that there are leftovers for him. What do you guys think? Any suggestions or thoughts?

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Hannahhhh said:

Me too!!!

I have a question regarding my brotulid. I got him two weeks ago, and I have yet to see him eat. I’m feeding the same thing that he was previously fed (mysis shrimp). I’m still new to this hobby, so I’m not sure if I need to be worried. He’s EXTREMELY shy, and I’m wondering if it’s possible that he’s just foraging later, once I leave. He still looks healthy as far as I can tell, so he must be eating at least a bit, right? I’ve been overfeeding my tank a bit, trying to ensure that there are leftovers for him. What do you guys think? Any suggestions or thoughts?

I honestly don't know anything about them. I think just give him some time to come out of his shell and see what happens. If you can get your hands on LRS food he might gobble it up. One of the guys on here recommended it to me for a blenny that wouldn't eat and he started eating like  a pig in only a few days. He unfortunately didn't make it because he went so long without eating, it was heart breaking.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Me too!!!

I read a small amount on them (in a German Forum) http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/tiere/2493_Diancistrus_fuscus.htm 

Loosely translated (Via Google)

"When it comes to attitude, we can only give rough recommendations because we have little experience with this species. For the welfare of the Yellow Bearded Brotulid in the aquarium, a large number of crevices and caves are needed, since the animals in nature predominantly reside in in columnar systems. Since the diet of these animals still as good as nothing is known, however, should first try to get these animals in a darkened aquarium with very little possibilities to keep hiding in order to be able to observe what food they take. The above-mentioned with the Yellow Beard related fish from anchialinen caves are known to eat several small crustaceans. Yellow Beard Brotulids may eat small copepods and Mysis shrimp. Pair or group housing would be recommended so that the very interesting reproductive behavior and the largely unknown social behavior can be observed"

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I read a small amount on them (in a German Forum) http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/tiere/2493_Diancistrus_fuscus.htm 

Loosely translated (Via Google)

"When it comes to attitude, we can only give rough recommendations because we have little experience with this species. For the welfare of the Yellow Bearded Brotulid in the aquarium, a large number of crevices and caves are needed, since the animals in nature predominantly reside in in columnar systems. Since the diet of these animals still as good as nothing is known, however, should first try to get these animals in a darkened aquarium with very little possibilities to keep hiding in order to be able to observe what food they take. The above-mentioned with the Yellow Beard related fish from anchialinen caves are known to eat several small crustaceans. Yellow Beard Brotulids may eat small copepods and Mysis shrimp. Pair or group housing would be recommended so that the very interesting reproductive behavior and the largely unknown social behavior can be observed"

God I’d feel so guilty taking away his hiding spot so that I could observe what he ate. He always seems so scared. I feel like part of that is also his nervous looking little face. I feel like he’s kind of miserable in my tank, I’m worried I don’t have enough hiding places for him. I’ll try to build him some more in the next week or so. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Me too!!!

Not a good sign, any fish that doesn’t eat is not gonna end well. Try garlic infused foods or live brine shrimp.