ReefCleaners.org

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

What fish is that?!?

It’s a brotulid. Sometimes they’re called yellow eel gobies but they aren’t actually eels or gobies. Super cool looking, right?

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

It’s a brotulid. Sometimes they’re called yellow eel gobies but they aren’t actually eels or gobies. Super cool looking, right?

Gorgeous, it's now on my wishlist

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Ratvan said:

He (or she?) is super cute, also suuuuper shy. If my tank was much bigger I would totally loose sight of him for days. His favorite hiding spot is in the back of my tank, but since it’s a little tank I can stand on my tip toes and see his little face poking out 🥰

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 hours ago, Ratvan said:

yeah same here. That fish is so cool looking and I think it'll be the perfect addition to my 75 in a few months.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

yeah same here. That fish is so cool looking and I think it'll be the perfect addition to my 75 in a few months.

If you’re adding one to a 75 gallon tank, I would suggest making a nice hiding place for him that faces the front of the tank. From what I can tell they seem to really like tunnels. Then just add him near that spot and fingers crossed he chooses to live there. Granted, I tried that and when mine does use that spot, he faces the other way so I just get to see his butt. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can anyone reading this give me advice on how to achieve flow like you see in this video from fragbox? Specifically if you swipe left and look at the frogspawn. It’s a nice gentle circular flow and no matter how I position my wave maker and return pumps, I can’t seem to get this. I have an Aqamai kps. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

If you’re adding one to a 75 gallon tank, I would suggest making a nice hiding place for him that faces the front of the tank. From what I can tell they seem to really like tunnels. Then just add him near that spot and fingers crossed he chooses to live there. Granted, I tried that and when mine does use that spot, he faces the other way so I just get to see his butt. 

Thanks for the heads up on that lol. My 75 is going to be only small fish. I want a tank full of 1"-2" fish. Nice small bioloads and the tank will look nice and full of life. It should be awesome :happydance:. I'm gonna start hooking the sump up this weekend, as long as everything goes to plan so fingers crossed.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Can anyone reading this give me advice on how to achieve flow like you see in this video from fragbox? Specifically if you swipe left and look at the frogspawn. It’s a nice gentle circular flow and no matter how I position my wave maker and return pumps, I can’t seem to get this. I have an Aqamai kps. 

I have the kps as well and to get that you might want more of a pulse. Strong pulse might help you get that.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Thanks for the heads up on that lol. My 75 is going to be only small fish. I want a tank full of 1"-2" fish. Nice small bioloads and the tank will look nice and full of life. It should be awesome :happydance:. I'm gonna start hooking the sump up this weekend, as long as everything goes to plan so fingers crossed.

That sounds like an awesome tank! Tons of small fish in a large tank will make the tank look massive! Can’t wait to see what it looks like!

2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I have the kps as well and to get that you might want more of a pulse. Strong pulse might help you get that.

I will try that out!

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Hannahhhh said:

That sounds like an awesome tank! Tons of small fish in a large tank will make the tank look massive! Can’t wait to see what it looks like!

That's the hope.. :smilie: I've always been more impressed with all the smaller fish, gobies and blennys, fish like that. Plus I'm going to have coral as well. Most of the coral that's in the 20g is going to be transferred over to the big tank and my 20 will have just rock flower nems and my clownfish.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hannahhhh said:

In my personal opinion, it needs much more flow. 

To address your question though - do you have more than 1 powerhead? I'm not familiar with the KPS, but assuming its flow pattern is similar to the hydor koralia?

4 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

To address your question though - do you have more than 1 powerhead? I'm not familiar with the KPS, but assuming it's flow pattern is similar to the hydor koralia?

Lol well I’m not familiar with hydor but it has one powerhead. This is mine, it’s sitting below the return pumps. 

My big fear with adding much more flow is killing or massively stressing out my coco worm. 

AC0972CD-A8C2-49BA-BE51-79C532B930F4.jpeg

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
16 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

To address your question though - do you have more than 1 powerhead? I'm not familiar with the KPS, but assuming it's flow pattern is similar to the hydor koralia?

The kps is a wave maker. It's actually a really good little pump and full control. I have mine ramped up and it varies throughout the day.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Lol well I’m not familiar with hydor but it has one powerhead. This is mine, it’s sitting below the return pumps. 

My big fear with adding much more flow is killing or massively stressing out my coco worm. 

AC0972CD-A8C2-49BA-BE51-79C532B930F4.jpeg

Based on this image and what I found on the first page (needed a reference for a FTS), it seems like the biggest issue is that your flow is basically uni-directional. If you can, I would recommend the following:

Capture.thumb.PNG.bc98bb5371e450101e97be20eb5d360b.PNG

Two flow directions against each other will create more random, chaotic flow patterns, which is key to creating swaying movement. Also, personally, I would angle the return higher to achieve more surface agitation. Since the return is a static, constant flow, the powerhead should be programmed for variable intensities, if possible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, pokerdobe said:

Based on this image and what I found on the first page (needed a reference for a FTS), it seems like the biggest issue is that your flow is basically uni-directional. If you can, I would recommend the following:

Two flow directions against each other will create more random, chaotic flow patterns, which is key to creating swaying movement. Also, personally, I would angle the return higher to achieve more surface agitation. Since the return is a static, constant flow, the powerhead should be programmed for variable intensities, if possible. 

You beat me too it lol. I was gonna suggest sticking the wave maker on the other end of the tank.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Hmm ok I guess I will move it over then! Thank you for the advice! 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I would advise against getting one in any tank larger than 10 gallons, essentially all who have don't EVER see the fish again; the net is filled with stories of their accidental discovery upon tearing the tank down years later.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I would advise against getting one in any tank larger than 10 gallons, essentially all who have don't EVER see the fish again; the net is filled with stories of their accidental discovery upon tearing the tank down years later.

That doesn’t surprise me at all. He’s my biggest fish and he’s gone missing in my tank a few times, which shouldn’t even be possible. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

That doesn’t surprise me at all. He’s my biggest fish and he’s gone missing in my tank a few times, which shouldn’t even be possible. 

"Ultra-cryptic" I think was the best description I saw when looking into them before I settled on easy damsels for my own tank lol... I have enough rockwork that even in my 12g I would likely NEVER see the fish even during feeding as they seem to be content scavenging or hunting pods.

• Like 2

Tank update. Added a few new things in the last few weeks. A yellow brotulid, a frogspawn coral, and a maxima clam (all from live aquaria). They’re all awesome! The clam is so beautiful! When I look at it from above it looks turquoise and from the side it looks blue. I included a picture from each view. 

In other news, I’m seriously struggling with Cyanobacteria. At least I think that’s what I think it is. It covers my sand and makes strings. Anytime the strings come loose they get caught in my birdsnests. My phosphate levels are good but I can’t seem to control it. I’m just taking it day by day and trying to manually remove as much as I can. I really hope this is eventually resolved because it is seriously sucking all the joy out of reef keeping for me. 

Lastly, I moved my wave maker to the other side of my tank (thanks for the advice @DSFIRSTSLTWATER and @pokerdobe) I love the way it makes my corals move and my corals seem very happy with it. The only issue is my coco worm doesn’t love the additional flow. I turned it off for a few hours today and spot fed him reef roids. I’m hoping eventually he will adjust to the new flow. 

13E7DA41-56C6-489F-8C23-46DBDE499970.jpeg

1F1D9406-112F-4930-B1CB-80E6578D7782.jpeg

02A18217-4CF3-461A-8756-5B5BFB2D5DA7.jpeg

A04A624F-FB66-4F0D-9067-8375E67CABCB.jpeg

BDF21698-198E-46D7-BFF4-2A371FDA68F8.jpeg

76BFCB1A-0A60-4328-944B-3881304D5174.jpeg

8276A00C-B0E3-4E36-9059-4D9F56D7692D.jpeg

95E0C8E7-EA9D-436D-A3AC-C8375DF3B8F5.jpeg

517BE1A5-54E3-4E2E-A5F6-D9BDAC76A44A.jpeg

C3D8A049-2CE6-4121-B58A-91C3A2ED92D0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Tank update. Added a few new things in the last few weeks. A yellow brotulid, a frogspawn coral, and a maxima clam (all from live aquaria). They’re all awesome! The clam is so beautiful! When I look at it from above it looks turquoise and from the side it looks blue. I included a picture from each view. 

In other news, I’m seriously struggling with Cyanobacteria. At least I think that’s what I think it is. It covers my sand and makes strings. Anytime the strings come loose they get caught in my birdsnests. My phosphate levels are good but I can’t seem to control it. I’m just taking it day by day and trying to manually remove as much as I can. I really hope this is eventually resolved because it is seriously sucking all the joy out of reef keeping for me. 

Lastly, I moved my wave maker to the other side of my tank (thanks for the advice @DSFIRSTSLTWATER and @pokerdobe) I love the way it makes my corals move and my corals seem very happy with it. The only issue is my coco worm doesn’t love the additional flow. I turned it off for a few hours today and spot fed him reef roids. I’m hoping eventually he will adjust to the new flow. 

13E7DA41-56C6-489F-8C23-46DBDE499970.jpeg

1F1D9406-112F-4930-B1CB-80E6578D7782.jpeg

02A18217-4CF3-461A-8756-5B5BFB2D5DA7.jpeg

A04A624F-FB66-4F0D-9067-8375E67CABCB.jpeg

BDF21698-198E-46D7-BFF4-2A371FDA68F8.jpeg

76BFCB1A-0A60-4328-944B-3881304D5174.jpeg

8276A00C-B0E3-4E36-9059-4D9F56D7692D.jpeg

95E0C8E7-EA9D-436D-A3AC-C8375DF3B8F5.jpeg

517BE1A5-54E3-4E2E-A5F6-D9BDAC76A44A.jpeg

C3D8A049-2CE6-4121-B58A-91C3A2ED92D0.jpeg

Looks real good Hannah 👌. I had a hard time with some green hair algae from around Octoberish and it's a real PITA, I still have a little, but it's slowly getting better. The cyano you just have to manually remove. I've never had a cyan(thank god/), but I've read you wanna up the flow and increase water changes.

I'm sure one of these veteran reef keepers can chime in too. Keep up the good work with the tank, sometimes these crazy issues make this hobby frustrating, but I think that is some of the enjoyment.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

You'll probably want to get that Maxima on a rock or some kind of cradle, they don't much care for being on sand, beautiful animal.

I plan on moving it upward in the next week, but I wanted to give it time to adjust to the tank. Is it ok to be next to palys or will it get stung?

Long as it isn't touching it should be fine, no guarantees though, some have their maximas surrounded by and touching euphyllia, others get stung by zoas or other softies /shrug. I actually meant put it on a piece of rubble, you don't want it to attach directly to your rockwork in case you ever need to brush, dip, etc.

• Like 2