Pod Your Reef

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

NaturallyKait

Peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia, but some people also find they nibble at corals when they run out of aiptasia so it’s a gamble. 

13 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

Peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia, but some people also find they nibble at corals when they run out of aiptasia so it’s a gamble. 

Hm ok maybe it’s not worth it then. The aiptasia in my tank isn’t really causing any problems, so maybe I’ll just try to manage it rather than fully eradicate it. 

Hi

Personally I've been using Joe's Juice quite successfuly against aiptasia.

What size is your clam? if it's small (less than 3''), do you feed it? 

I use Aiptasia X in my aquarium, but have only had limited success with it so far. It definitely will melt some Aiptasia, but it is difficult to kill them all the way down to the base with it. Usually they survive in some severely mutilated form and end up regenerating some weeks or months later. The best success I've had with Aiptasia X is when I slather it all over the rocks that the Aiptasia are in, and basically plaster over their hole with it. This seems fairly effective, but if the Aiptasia are in a sensitive or weirdly angled spot it is difficult to use the Aiptasia X effectively.

It also kills coralline algae on contact, which drives me nuts because I love that stuff. So far it has not harmed any of my other livestock though (probably because I have been very careful not to get any of it on anything).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

SUPER excited about my new green indo torch! I’ve been on the hunt for one for an empty nook on my live rock, and today I got one head from my LFS! I will post more pics once it extends more. It’s still pretty squished up since I only just added it! 

0310BDD9-4ADD-4882-9DC9-4E59576AA28E.jpeg

A555B2BA-8230-4611-9ADA-7FE0F021BC21.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 3
5 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

SUPER excited about my new green indo torch! I’ve been on the hunt for one for an empty nook on my live rock, and today I got one head from my LFS! I will post more pics once it extends more. It’s still pretty squished up since I only just added it! 

0310BDD9-4ADD-4882-9DC9-4E59576AA28E.jpeg

A555B2BA-8230-4611-9ADA-7FE0F021BC21.jpeg

Hugely jealous now

• Like 1

here’s a video of my tank, you can see the torch near the end! I’m so happy with it! 

What do you guys think about flow? Does it have too much/too little? 

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

here’s a video of my tank, you can see the torch near the end! I’m so happy with it! 

What do you guys think about flow? Does it have too much/too little? 

I think the flow looks pretty good. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I second this. Everything looks happy and healthy and extended, so unless there's a reason to change it up I would just leave it as-is. 😊

Amazing tank Hannah! This system sure has come a long way fast!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Perfect!

2 hours ago, billygoat said:

I second this. Everything looks happy and healthy and extended, so unless there's a reason to change it up I would just leave it as-is. 😊

Amazing tank Hannah! This system sure has come a long way fast!

Thanks so much! I’m really proud of how it’s all turning out!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

Took some more photos today. I finally got a decent full tank shot. 

6B7E5A4A-884F-4871-9DAA-C4BA66269728.jpeg

F0962232-7E95-421C-9A19-02546AC7601E.jpeg

Wow, keep up the awesome work, that tank looks awesome!! 

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I got back from Ireland last night. I was so nervous to go look at my tank that I avoided going in my room for awhile. I knew from my petsitter that none of the fish died, but I had low expectations for the coral. Guess what... NOTHING DIED!!! I’m so happy and relieved!! My non photosynthetic tube coral is the only thing in the tank that is looking at all upset, and I’m not remotely surprised, since no one fed it for two and a half weeks! Even my coco worm is fine! It hid for the first few hours I was back and I was sure it was dead, but once I put in some reef roids it came right out!

B1030345-A446-49D7-A855-6C00BC4E4AC3.jpeg

6644617D-5D20-47AA-AEC1-FB2C26AC478B.jpeg

• Like 7

Does anyone have any advice on saving a dying frogspawn? Mine has retreated back half way and a lot of the polyps have sloughed off. I don’t want it to die!!

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

Does anyone have any advice on saving a dying frogspawn? Mine has retreated back half way and a lot of the polyps have sloughed off. I don’t want it to die!!

Sounds like polyp bail out, but I’m unable to confirm without a picture 

2 hours ago, hmmm2 said:

I was under the impression polyp bailout predominantly starts at the base of the animal without signs of tissue recession as the whole, healthy-head slowly separates from the skeleton and pops off. This sounds more like necrosis from some kind of tissue damage or other unknown happenstance.

You could try to dip it in lugols or seachem iodine dip as a disinfectant, otherwise something may be awry in your chemistry or something physical/a pest may have damaged it.

8 hours ago, hmmm2 said:

I just posted some pics 

10 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Whats your Alk, Temp and Salinity at?

I’ll check when I get home. I’ve been really bad about checking that stuff the last month or so. This week my tank has been pretty neglected... I’m applying to vet school and the deadline is coming up...

5A087C8D-7254-4D69-B53A-2E85B878C79A.jpeg

A969FEDB-8CD7-427B-8CB4-B5732E4F0D1C.jpeg

• Sad 1

That looks like RTN or brown jelly disease, you might want to remove it from the tank to prevent it from spreading or contaminating the water. It looks like it might be too late for the animal, however you could try lugols dips and carefully siphoning out the necrotic brown tissue, you should also definitely check your parameters. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

That looks like RTN or brown jelly disease, you might want to remove it from the tank to prevent it from spreading or contaminating the water. It looks like it might be too late for the animal, however you could try lugols dips and carefully siphoning out the necrotic brown tissue, you should also definitely check your parameters. 

I think I’m gonna pull it to be safe 😞 it was one of my favorite corals but I don’t want to risk it spreading, and it looks like the coral is pretty much gone anyway 

• Like 2

Also I should have mentioned, when I came back from vacation, that coral had flipped upside down and was sitting on the sand. I don’t know how long it was like that. I assume that’s a factor in why it’s dying. 

• Like 4