SaltCritters.com

748S911's "Undercover Janky" 2.5 pico reef OSPRC...

748S911

I only carry 2 margaritas and one hermit crab.  I usually throw a turbo in there for a day to clean up but this time I threw everyone in there to clean house lol. 

• Like 1

So you can’t just put a bunch of margaritas together without causing chaos!! Can anyone tell me what’s going on? There is one margarita spewing out a milky fluid and completely filled the whole pico in this milky mess. Is it dying? Should I be concerned? 

67768E18-6A44-47E9-8AEB-71EEBF2053C6.jpeg

E4BD28BC-DDC4-4A95-BDD1-8CCB67018EA7.jpeg

• Wow 1

Don't have experience with those snails; maybe it's spawning - it doesn't look like it's dying (strong hold of glass), but I would vote that a water change should be what's going on. Doesn't seems like the coral care  :]   Good lookin pico!

• Thanks 1

I keep both systems separate and really don’t want to add more problems to what was a problem free pico lol. Hopefully it’s just spawning and my corals are eating good tonight, micro escargot 😂

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

Wow! That is a glass full of snails.  Your tank is looking great I hope it survives the milk bath.😁

Thanks, tank is clearing up now. I can see some of my coral now lol. 

Lesson learned, don’t throw a bunch of margaritas In a pico without things getting outta control lol! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Found this post about snails and releasing gametes when water quality changes.  Makes sense cause I transferred from tank to tank and they r prolly diff in parameters.  I know for sure my EVOreef is higher in everything cause my rate of evap dumps a lot of kalk in my system.  

Says I will have baby margaritas, actually excited about that cause I need a larger clean up crew in my new 40G. Win win!!! 

I know this thread is old, but if I found it doing search others may. This is from Live Aquaria . I have the same thing happening to Trochus snails after a water change 

"Perhaps what many aquarists appreciate the most is the ease with which Banded Trochus Snails seem to breed in the home aquarium. It reproduces sexually by releasing gametes into the water column. The gametes appear as a cloudy, white substance. Breeding activity is usually sparked by changes in lighting or water conditions. After the gametes join, they develop into free-swimming larvae that eventually settle into your aquarium substrate and develop into mature snails over a period of a few months."

So woke up this morning to a crystal clear tank!   Clean up crew did fantastic work all around rock, glass, trim, inside aqua clear too lol.  

Then I noticed my flatworm issue is outta hand and on everything, everywhere.  Reason why my corals are looking stressed.  I just ordered bayer complete insect killer today and will dip everything I can dip tomorrow. 

Any suggestions about how to completely get rid of them in tank? 

Did a fresh water dip to my zoas, managed to kill a bunch of flatworms.  Happy to have given them some sort of temp relief until tomorrow’s coral dip. 

• Like 1

that snail army! lol 🙂

When I had green banded gobies, they would eat every type of bug and anything that moved, even things bigger than them. Maybe a little hungry fish?

Just be careful with the margaritas, they seem to not last as long in our warmer tanks (tried them a few times, they do eat a ton of algae though). I would hate for them to die and foul the water in such a small tank. Reef-cleaners recommends them for tanks that don't go above 70.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

that snail army! lol 🙂

When I had green banded gobies, they would eat every type of bug and anything that moved, even things bigger than them. Maybe a little hungry fish?

Just be careful with the margaritas, they seem to not last as long in our warmer tanks (tried them a few times, they do eat a ton of algae though). I would hate for them to die and foul the water in such a small tank. Reef-cleaners recommends them for tanks that don't go above 70.  

Lol, they got the job done last night in more ways than one lol.  I was reading up on trochus snail spawning and it was word for word on what my margaritas did.  First was full moon, there was a full moon last night. Water quality change, I moved my margaritas to another tank. Then it said they will all go to shallow water or stay close to waterline, they were all up top. Lastly it said they will do this for an hour. It was almost one hour of spawning pretty cool. 

As as for flatworms I’m thinking of dipping entire live rock in bayer tomorrow along with all other corals.  I’ll dump all sand and clean it with rodi water to kill of all flatworms in sandbed. Rinse it with fresh salt water to keep it from completely dying off. Then clean all my equipment with vinegar/tap mix.  Full water change, and I should be bug free, if stuff starts to go south I’ll throw corals in my EVOreef until params settle in my pico.  I’m sure it’s not gonna be an issue.  

While dipping my zoas in freshwater, I broke the piece in half accidentally.  So I fragged it, after @Hannahhhh frightening experience fragging zoanthinds or anything really.  I’m gonna be way more careful handling these toxic beauties.   I have 5 nice sized frags now of my 24k gold and pink zoa’s. 

6BBB2646-5424-4AEC-9A1D-310395098EFA.jpeg

41D63564-EC41-49BB-9ED8-F2C89F40A56E.jpeg