Innovative Marine Aquariums

748S911's "Undercover Janky" 2.5 pico reef OSPRC...

748S911

6 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

I’m gonna be way more careful handling these toxic beauties.

That's good.  However, the levels of palytoxin varies by species.  Most are relatively safe to handle and frag with some common sense precautions.  I'd hate to generalize too much, as certain palythoas are especially dangerous.

• Like 1

I hear ya, better to be safe than sorry.  I’ve never used gloves, glasses reefing, but first time for everything.  I felt safer, with my frag gear on. 🙂

• Like 1

Father's day FTS 6/16/19

A little flatworm issue, and the candies on floor...but all is good in the reef!  Happy Father's Day NR!

20190616_194004.jpg

• Like 7

If you get the chance would you mind taking a pic of how you have the candy canes on the right side mounted.  Mine came as just a large stalk that looks it broke off the colony.  I need to so something with it but I'm not sure what.  

Awesome thanks.  My stem it about 2/5 inches long and dark brown and all the ones I have seen online have had had a short base.   It is good to know that I don't have to cut it down.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 748S911 said:

While dipping my zoas in freshwater, I broke the piece in half accidentally.  So I fragged it, after @Hannahhhh frightening experience fragging zoanthinds or anything really.  I’m gonna be way more careful handling these toxic beauties.   I have 5 nice sized frags now of my 24k gold and pink zoa’s. 

6BBB2646-5424-4AEC-9A1D-310395098EFA.jpeg

41D63564-EC41-49BB-9ED8-F2C89F40A56E.jpeg

Those orange zoas are beautiful! Glad to hear you’re being careful, lol I wish I had been more careful!

• Like 1

Lol, you’ll be fine...I’ll send you some when I frag them, they are neon orange/neon red under blues. Best thing was I bought them at petco for 19.99 what a find.

• Like 1

Apparently all their stuff is ora stuff, but I would recommend get anything the day they bring it in lol. Cause they end up slowly dying in there crappy tanks.

• Like 1

Flatworm kill is HERE!  

Getting cold feet about the whole dip thing.  

Gonna dip individual corals and buy some small airline hose and suck out the flat worms as I see them.  

If that doesn't work in the next couple of weeks I will nuke it lmao!

20190617_132159.jpg

14 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Lol, you’ll be fine...I’ll send you some when I frag them, they are neon orange/neon red under blues. Best thing was I bought them at petco for 19.99 what a find.

Woah none of my local petcos have any coral. I wish they did! Lol be careful fragging them!  

• Haha 1

Operation flatworm complete...

I couldn't take many pics cause I was going as fast as I could to get back system online. 

Dipped everything for 15 min in Bayer including live rock. 

Flushed sand with rodi water and let sit for 15 min

Vinegar bath for aqua clear and Aqamai along with heater and stuff. (Needed to do it anyways)

Marine pure fw dip for 15 min too. 

2.5 Pico 1, Flatworm 0 

Corals.... a lil salty

20190617_161139.jpg

20190617_160952.jpg

20190617_160848.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

You let the live rock soak in the dip for 15 minutes? How good of a rinse did you do on everything? 

• Like 1

Oh... oh boy, be really cautious adding any inverts into that tank, carbon isn't likely to pull out bayer and the stuff is known to kill all inverts in even large tanks after not properly rinsing a few dipped frags....

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

You let the live rock soak in the dip for 15 minutes? How good of a rinse did you do on everything? 

4 dips, gonna do water changes daily all week to make sure no more bayer. 

28 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Oh... oh boy, be really cautious adding any inverts into that tank, carbon isn't likely to pull out bayer and the stuff is known to kill all inverts in even large tanks after not properly rinsing a few dipped frags....

Yeah my 2 margaritas and pico hermit crab are in my EVOreef on vacation lol.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Did you soak the rock when you washed it during the 4 clean water dips? Or just dip and swish?

• Like 1
Just now, 748S911 said:

I rinsed our a ton of flat worms, copepods and bristle worms. That stuff is no joke, and strong.  

Yeah it’s no joke all right, I hope it all works out for the best, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the situation

• Like 2

Soaked it for about 5 min and swished for 5 min x 4 

I had coral laying in sun for that time and threw fresh salt water on them from time to time.  Then soaked and swished them too.

• Like 2