Pod Your Reef

748S911's "Undercover Janky" 2.5 pico reef OSPRC...

748S911

"Undercover Janky" 2.5 Pico Reef a quest to clean up the jank.

Here is my official entry to the Old School Pico Reef Contest.

So I was kicking the idea around to enter in the contest but wasn't sure until today. I was in Georgetown shopping and walked in to a store and found my Janks Top and bottom to give it a super sleek and clean look.  At that moment about 5 hrs ago I unofficially entered into the contest.  I will do my best to make this Janky tank look super clean and amazing.  My goal is to take this little janky and make it not janky peninsula style. 

The Tank

Aqueon 2.5 gal- Petco special 

Lighting- Fluval Evo 13.5 stock strip led  AI Prime HD

flow-tbd  Aqamai KPS

filtration- tbd  Aquaclear 20

stand and canopy- SS tank tray from CB2 

coral list tbd

IMG_4079.jpeg

• Like 6

So this is how it all started today......After making the decision  that the line was hella long a Georgetown Cupcake,  I walked into CB2 few stores down to check some home goods out.  Thats when I came across the SS tank tray for 19.95 and it looked like it would totally fit a small 2.5 gallon. So I jumped on my phone to get the dimensions of the tray and tank and determined it was gonna be a perfect fit. So I did the next natural thing, I bought 2 and bee lined it to the nearest Petco to get a 2.5 gallon janky.  My original intent was to get the UNS 12x7.48x7.48 but that didn't happen.  Anyways Im very happy I went with the Janky tank as it fits this tank tray perfectly. The lights im using are the original lights I don't use on my Fluval EVOreef.  I will most likely take out my micro pumps from my rear chambers and use those for my circulation.  I will also throw in some bio balls and some chaeto to season and prep my tank asap for inhabitants.  All the water and water changes will be from my Fluval EVOreef and I do those every week.  So my pico will get a 50 percent water change weekly from my more mature and stable reef.  It should all work out in theory lol.  Cant wait to see what this thing turns out to be in 7 months.  

IMG_4047.jpeg

IMG_4050.jpeg

IMG_4052.jpeg

IMG_4053.jpeg

IMG_4054.jpeg

IMG_4079.jpeg

IMG_4076.jpeg

IMG_4081.png

• Like 5

Oh forgot to mention that huge maze coral is from Cozumel 2006 I took it from the southern most tip where there was a ton of dead coral skeletons on the side of road in sand, that's just half of it. I broke in two for whatever reason and this is the only piece I have left. I weighs like 10 lbs its super dense and heavy. So that piece has some old school mojo on it too!

• Like 1

Wow.  Amazing that the CB2 tray happened to fit.  It actually makes that tank look retro AF (in a good way).  

Glad you are able to join in.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Wow.  Amazing that the CB2 tray happened to fit.  It actually makes that tank look retro AF (in a good way).  

Glad you are able to join in.

I know.... its flush like it was meant for the pico 2.5, the rear of the tray I just bent in to give me clearance for my ac20hob-or 30 if it fits. Then maybe get a small tiny computer fan slap it to the hob filter. Then im goin to clean the back up with abs plastic and seal the back area to give it that all in one look. Its truly the undercover janky.

IMG_4084.thumb.jpeg.995e410aee3a77951c627fce7c2e3915.jpeg

• Like 3

Don't blame me if it comes out ugly lol

I was thinking of trying to paint while holding the rock upside down so then it wouldn't soak into the rock as much

5 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

thanks, its about to be purple thanks to  @yoshii  omgomgomg

I wanna try that Purple Helix brand coraline in a bottle to purple up my rox.  Seems to have good reviews.  Never thought I'd see the day that Amazon would be selling coraline in a bottle.  

2 minutes ago, yoshii said:

I was thinking of trying to paint while holding the rock upside down so then it wouldn't soak into the rock as much

if its bad, I'll send you back to Cozumel to get me another one lol... jk its all good I have another piece to sacrifice 👹

2 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I wanna try that Purple Helix brand coraline in a bottle to purple up my rox.  Seems to have good reviews.  Never thought I'd see the day that Amazon would be selling coraline in a bottle.  

we are going Giant food crab meat at the salad bar bro, all fake purple

I wonder what reef rocks or the other Petco rock that comes purple uses??? hmmmm

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Maybe dabbing the paint with a sponge or paper towel might prevent the paint from soaking in too much.

• Like 1
Just now, Clown79 said:

Maybe dabbing the paint with a sponge or paper towel might prevent the paint from soaking in too much.

Hmm maybe, although the "paint" (pvc primer) is very watery. Guess we won't know until 748S911 tries it out! go guinea pig, go!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, yoshii said:

Hmm maybe, although the "paint" (pvc primer) is very watery. Guess we won't know until 748S911 tries it out! go guinea pig, go!

image.png.93573c80169b7a302b7ea898001c4d35.png

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

if its bad, I'll send you back to Cozumel to get me another one lol... jk its all good I have another piece to sacrifice 👹

Free trip to Cozumel? Don't mind if I do

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Had to look this up, sounds like an interesting product! But I wonder how they collect the spores? I just grind up coralline pieces and sprinkle it around

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, yoshii said:

I've used the technique with watery acrylic.

You can test it out on the bottom side that won't be seen.

3 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Had to look this up, sounds like an interesting product! But I wonder how they collect the spores? I just grind up coralline pieces and sprinkle it around

@Tigahboy I was looking at that stuff too, but then thought to my self... its coming anyways, why worry.  Although I was scraping a turbo snail shell last night lmao!!!! hahahahahhahaha

• Like 1

Did a water change on the EVOreef, and decided my pico needed to get wet!  Threw in some bio balls and chaeto in there.   The little Micro pumps are powerful and perfect size for this little tank. 

IMG_4099.jpeg

IMG_4100.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, thats, uh, different.

Are you going for a frag setup, or just getting it going with that stuff for biological starter?

Lol, just getting the abs plastic on bottom seeded for my bare bottom.  Hoping that pods, stars, and other little reef bugs make themselves at home. Hopefully I get some Coraline algae going too. Once I figure out my aquascape, I will take all that bio stuff out throw a ball or two in my aqua clear filter, and some chaeto hopefully if I have enough room for everything.

It just got real!!

Updates!

Added felt circles to bottom to be able to move tank around with out scratching wood desk.  

Went with deep sand bed, I love sugar sized sand. I won't have crazy flow so not worried about it blowing around.

Home Depot run and saw free sample tiles for flooring and had to get six of them lol!!!! Also picked up a lid for it to help with evaporation, its not clear so acts like a diffuser too.

Really kicking it old school with my live rock from 2003 and part of the reason I went with a deep sand bed.  

IMG_4120.jpeg

IMG_4153.jpeg

IMG_4143.jpeg

IMG_4136.jpeg

IMG_4146.jpeg

IMG_4129.jpeg

IMG_4123.jpeg

IMG_4160.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1