inTank Media Baskets

748S911's "Undercover Janky" 2.5 pico reef OSPRC...

748S911

9 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Huge strom, lost power 2 hours ago.  Hopefully power comes on tonight or tomorrow, it’s pretty serious tho being that there is a huge tree in middle of road and downed power lines. Don’t want to lose all my corals 😞 but don’t think this neighborhood is getting power anytime soon.  

I don’t have a battery power air pump either.  Anyone have any suggestions?

1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

Sorry to hear!  That really sucks.  @MetaTank may have some tips since he went through the same thing.  

My biggest worry was temperature. You can fill water bottles with warm or hot water and float them, and use your turkey baster to blow the water around every once in a while. Blowing bubbles that break the surface area of the water will keep some dissolved oxygen in there. But they should be fine as long as you keep them from getting too cold. Hopefully the power comes back in the next 24 hours. 

I also covered the tanks with an insulated bag to keep the temp up 

• Like 2

Also, go get a battery pump if you can. They sometimes have them at Petco, they’re usually open till 9

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Sorry to hear!  That really sucks.  @MetaTank may have some tips since he went through the same thing.  

Thanks! Sucks a lot!

6 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

My biggest worry was temperature. You can fill water bottles with warm or hot water and float them, and use your turkey baster to blow the water around every once in a while. Blowing bubbles that break the surface area of the water will keep some dissolved oxygen in there. But they should be fine as long as you keep them from getting too cold. Hopefully the power comes back in the next 24 hours. 

I also covered the tanks with an insulated bag to keep the temp up 

Thanks @MetaTank

It’s like 85 hot and muggy and climbing in the house, so thank goodness temperature won’t be an issue. I’m gonna turkey baste away thanks for the pro tip.  Kickin myself for not buying a cheap 300 dollar generator from Home Depot.  I’m sure they are sold out by now.  Well looks like I’m gonna have to make a beer and ice run to keep occupied tonight! Lmao!

I guess it could be worse people that live on other side of street can't get home cause of the huge tree that being chopped in pieces right now. 😞

Can you get to a Walmart?  They should have a battery powered air pump.

Or maybe you can teach your dog to do this.

husky.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

New reef stuff!!

The replacement power pole just got here.... along with 10 other power company trucks.  

Hopefully we get power in the next 10 hrs or soo.  I’m sure installing that power thing is not gonna be a 2 hr job..

meanwhile l’m basting away.....

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

For the future I highly suggest investing in a power inverter and a heavy duty extension cord.  Inverters aren't expensive and plug into the power port (cigarette lighter) of your vehicle.  From that you can run an air pump or hob filter, use some small appliances like a coffee maker/fan/box heater or charge up your cell phone. Depending on your vehicles electrical load you will need to let your vehicle run while using it.  It isn't a long term solution for a power outage that lasts more than a few days but it is an inexpensive option that is compact.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Wingy said:

For the future I highly suggest investing in a power inverter and a heavy duty extension cord.  Inverters aren't expensive and plug into the power port (cigarette lighter) of your vehicle.  From that you can run an air pump or hob filter, use some small appliances like a coffee maker/fan/box heater or charge up your cell phone. Depending on your vehicles electrical load you will need to let your vehicle run while using it.  It isn't a long term solution for a power outage that lasts more than a few days but it is an inexpensive option that is compact.  

That's an interesting idea.  I have one of those inverters, but didn't think about using it for this purpose.  Though I will need to buy a loooooooong extension cord to reach my car.  

I did end up buying those battery operated air pumps tho on Amazon as soon as I saw @748S911's initial post about the outage.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Everything is great! No losses or damage done. I’m really looking all different types of power options now.  Inverter to a car battery might work well. Or just get a generator..... 🤔🤔

• Like 4

That would be too easy.

You want him to remove the alternator from an old car, hook it to a stationary bicycle, and then rig that up to a 12v battery with an inverter attached? Pedal if you want your reef to survive... PEDAL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Just now, MetaTank said:

You want him to remove the alternator from an old car, hook it to a stationary bicycle, and then rig that up to a 12v battery with an inverter attached? Pedal if you want your reef to survive... PEDAL!

LOL.  Actually yes.  Then post a vid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Actually, now that I typed it out and re-read it...I think I wanna see it in action as well 😂 

• Haha 5
53 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

That would be too easy.

49 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

47 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

45 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Actually, now that I typed it out and re-read it...I think I wanna see it in action as well 😂 

😂.....

It’s gotta work well for sometime and PICOsized

• Like 3

So after extensive research, Im down to two different power options.  

This two battery awesome set up to not only power my reefs, It will also power whatever I want.  Cool power set up. 

Pico sized reef battery back up.  love this little set up. 

• Like 1