Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

B's Mini Reef Bro Utopia

jbb

2 minutes ago, shaner014 said:

Barebottom? 

I say for it, any more/larger and you start to loose the sense of scale

There will be a small layer of sand 

18 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

@NanoRox sent some updated pics , and I would like some feedback please. 

I really like it and my gut says go with it , but curious as to what others think.

Front View

pico2.jpg.5e4dce9f4d6caeeafb2f73b40f77bbe7.jpg

Angled View

pico1.jpg.27f02fe5bf210bf84c074b88160b6d26.jpg

Overhead

1626523650_pico3ovhd.jpg.1333efa6270d27d5fcdc980e44fc9a30.jpg

Bring this to the new page 

• Like 8
22 minutes ago, Wingy said:

With the pieces in the corners like that.  

Ohhhhhh ok, yeah there is adequate space behind the scape for water flow. The pieces were positioned with proper flow in mind .

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Looks good!

An additional small rock in the center towards the front pane of the tank would give the scape more depth in my opinion.

I had the same idea at first, but instead of a permanent structure I can achieve the same thing with strategic coral placement. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Looks badass.  I dig the scape.

Is this stuff porous like actual rock - or do you depend on mechanical filtration? 

It's not as porous as real rock.  One thing I do to help is 1. make sure it has a lot of "man made" pores and indentations as I sculpt it AND 2. when I cure the final piece (this is weird) it is sprinkled with confectioners sugar which leaves microscopic indentations on the surface which increases the surface area for bacteria,  The sugar is then washed off when everything is cured.  I learned that trick from the company that makes the materials for use in public aquaria.  

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
47 minutes ago, NanoRox said:

It's not as porous as real rock.  One think I do to help is 1. make sure it has a lot of "man made" pores and indentations as I sculpt it AND 2. when I cure the final piece (this is weird) it is sprinkled with confectioners sugar which leaves microscopic indentations on the surface which increases the surface area for bacteria,  The sugar is then washed off when everything is cured.  I learned that trick from the company that makes the materials for use in public aquaria.  

I ordered one of your magnetic frag rocks for the Secret Santa ...... it looked impressive..... almost didnt give it to Patback, lol.

....looking forward to seeing how this turns out! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

@NanoRox sent some updated pics , and I would like some feedback please. 

I really like it and my gut says go with it , but curious as to what others think.

Front View

pico2.jpg.5e4dce9f4d6caeeafb2f73b40f77bbe7.jpg

Angled View

pico1.jpg.27f02fe5bf210bf84c074b88160b6d26.jpg

Overhead

1626523650_pico3ovhd.jpg.1333efa6270d27d5fcdc980e44fc9a30.jpg

I really like it, but vertical surfaces generally have little use in a tank. I can’t tell if the left column is vertical, but if it is, perhaps a bit more of a slant would make it easier to add corals. 

2 hours ago, shaner014 said:

Will these be magnetized to the tank to allow for removal if needed for maintenance? Or just held by weight alone? Or glued in place? 

This will just stay in place by weight alone

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

I really like it, but vertical surfaces generally have little use in a tank. I can’t tell if the left column is vertical, but if it is, perhaps a bit more of a slant would make it easier to add corals. 

great observation.  Its hard to tell in the pic but the left structure actually leans back a bit (meant to allow water flow around the rock) so it has some angle to it.  I also have some small ledges to help with placement.  The thing is so small it kind of a balancing act in making it functional as well as pretty.  Personally for purposes of scale I would just load this up with zoas and or palys 

• Like 3

If you were going with the stock light my observations for the tank I've had running is that the edges don't have that great of a part value and hence agreement with others that you'll want a good center rock piece. However you'll probably be okay because you got a customer light set up.

The modifications you made to your outflow may also make a good flow area at the center.

8 minutes ago, Arquisto said:

If you were going with the stock light my observations for the tank I've had running is that the edges don't have that great of a part value and hence agreement with others that you'll want a good center rock piece. However you'll probably be okay because you got a customer light set up.

The modifications you made to your outflow may also make a good flow area at the center.

The flow mod made a major difference throughout the entire tank. If I stay with the tide , I actually wanted to avoid center placement for fears of frying anything I place there. The lighting is still a spot where I am not 100% decided on though so we will see.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

The flow mod made a major difference throughout the entire tank. If I stay with the tide , I actually wanted to avoid center placement for fears of frying anything I place there. The lighting is still a spot where I am not 100% decided on though so we will see.

Could you add a diffuser to help with that? Or just raise it up and make a “snoot” to limit light spill? 

2 hours ago, shaner014 said:

Could you add a diffuser to help with that? Or just raise it up and make a “snoot” to limit light spill? 

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Couldn't you just turn the Tide down to like 10-15% ? I agree with the diffuser,that would help a ton.  

Low intensity, and diffuser is the plan if using the tide . I actually spoke with Dave earlier today about the proper material for a diffuser. 

9 minutes ago, smiz said:

Have you had any issue with your flow mod? I noticed that I am getting salt creep on the right side and that water is actually coming out of sump somehow??

I was only able to freshwater test prior to sending my tank to NanoRox. I know that the heating / evap causes water to bead up on the bottom of the tank, I wonder if the salt creep is wicking up at the connection of tank / sump some how 

• Like 1