inTank Media Baskets

B's Mini Reef Bro Utopia

jbb

5 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Sounds good. I think with that light will grow anything you put in there lol. 

If not I have a 250w mh I could use , that should do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
48 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

I was only able to freshwater test prior to sending my tank to NanoRox. I know that the heating / evap causes water to bead up on the bottom of the tank, I wonder if the salt creep is wicking up at the connection of tank / sump some how 

Ahhhh this sounds like it might be the issue! Im getting a decent amount of salt creep on the right side.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, smiz said:

Ahhhh this sounds like it might be the issue! Im getting a decent amount of salt creep on the right side.

If it's the back right corner, then it is from where the pump feeds into the tank. There is a small seepage back down into the sump. It's wicking from there. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

If it's the back right corner, then it is from where the pump feeds into the tank. There is a small seepage back down into the sump. It's wicking from there. 

so is this a design flaw?  If they want more of the saltwater market (they are much more popular in fresh water) I wonder if they should know? 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, NanoRox said:

so is this a design flaw?  If they want more of the saltwater market (they are much more popular in fresh water) I wonder if they should know? 

the fitting that connects the tank to the pump isnt a water tight fit, and causes a small drip at the connection. I am sure they are aware of it, but am unsure as to how they would correct it with how it all has to come apart just for basic maintenance. I think with it being marketed to the FW group they didn't look at it as a problem. Us reef folks seem to always be the after thought. lol

• Like 1
3 hours ago, smiz said:

Have you had any issue with your flow mod? I noticed that I am getting salt creep on the right side and that water is actually coming out of sump somehow??

Salt is creeping for me at both the right and left sides and also where the sump and tank connect at the base.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Arquisto said:

Salt is creeping for me at both the right and left sides and also where the sump and tank connect at the base.

I know when working with my flow mod design, I had to play with the angle of the output quite a bit. If it were angled too high, the water would hit the lid and I could see how that would cause creep issues. Also you have to keep in mind that as water evapoates it is going to build up as condensation on the lid and bottom of the tank. At that point, anywhere you have a seem you will develop salt creep, and periodic cleaning will be required. The same thing happens on larger systems that have glass tops, salt creep ends up all around the glass if not cleaned regularly. The new thing with this tank is the evap situation in the sump. Think of it as the lid of a hang on back filter, as water evaporates you do sometimes end up with creep around the seam of the lid. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Two weeks and it is still in Malaysia... not that I am ready to set it up anyways. 

Weird, mine shipped from Jersey according to the return address on the label but was in a DHL shipping bag. 🤷

• Like 1

Mine came from Malaysia too, but it only took a week from ordering to arrive to Australia.

jbb, is your auto top off done? Could I see some photos if it is or give me some more info on how it's set up? I'm just worried with an ATO all the pumps will pump too much water in as their minimum on time is too long.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, flitty said:

Mine came from Malaysia too, but it only took a week from ordering to arrive to Australia.

jbb, is your auto top off done? Could I see some photos if it is or give me some more info on how it's set up? I'm just worried with an ATO all the pumps will pump too much water in as their minimum on time is too long.

Could you bifurcate the ATO line and have some amount of the water closed loop back into the reservoir and just a smaller Air line allow some water to get to the Mini?

it makes sense in my head, which means nothing. 

38 minutes ago, shaner014 said:

Could you bifurcate the ATO line and have some amount of the water closed loop back into the reservoir and just a smaller Air line allow some water to get to the Mini?

l.jpg.49c0e7c38773fabfd64a4a958111d1fc.jpg

• Haha 5

So... the line out of the pump for the ATO... it pushes water through one line. Split a smaller line off that main to fill the tank with, and have the main fill back into the ATO res. That way the minimum on time of the pump won’t overfill the tank. 

52 minutes ago, shaner014 said:

i mean i don't see why that wouldn't work, maybe even just put some sort of valve on the line back into the reservoir to adjust the flow back in. might even be able to use one of the better ato's if i do this.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, shaner014 said:

So... the line out of the pump for the ATO... it pushes water through one line. Split a smaller line off that main to fill the tank with, and have the main fill back into the ATO res. That way the minimum on time of the pump won’t overfill the tank. 

mine is just a relay for on/off so there is no minimum run time

• Like 1
1 hour ago, flitty said:

It's this kit (nano version) , with a 90* float switch added due to size and angle needed. I will have an aqualifter as the pump.

• Like 2