Pod Your Reef

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

HookedOnAquariums
40 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

(thinking of getting rid of the BN... thoughts?)

You should, and give it to me... But your tanks looking great. I cant wait till the acros are trying to shove their stubby little arms out of the water.

• Like 1
On 10/29/2018 at 6:57 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Mmmmm that OP is looking goooood !!! Blast it with light and get them colors to pop !!! 

Haha, don’t worry, it’s currently being blasted! The real trick it to eliminate human error (see, me), and keep parameters stable for a month or so, so I can get an explosion in growth!

Also at least with the OP I’m beginning to think maturity may take a toll in being able to get those crazy orange polyps, either that or photoshop. 

Btw, I’m super excited to watch your new build come together! 

8 hours ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

You should, and give it to me... But your tanks looking great. I cant wait till the acros are trying to shove their stubby little arms out of the water.

If shipping wasn’t so expensive or the frags were at least worth the cost I would gladly send you one of the large chunks sitting in the frag tank. Unfortunately, BN really isn’t worth the cost and doesn’t tend to ship too well. 

9 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Welp, you know what today is? That's right, November 1st, which obviously means it time for the October tank update! Only a solid two weeks late... Not I big deal if this statement is referring to a tank update, another deal if this is a text message from your college girlfriend. Anyways, on to the show!

October, by-and-large, was a boring month.

Wait, that doesn't seem right, probably should check my notes.... (*pretends to checks notes*) Okay, disregard previous statement, a lot happened in October. I was hoping it was boring, because that takes a lot less energy to write about, and I'm lazy all about efficiency! Ergonomics is my middle name! Yup, Stanley Ergonomics Murdonkh, at your servce! Let's do a quick run down of what happened, in true crappy law school bullet point outline form:

• Added three acros: BradB's Drawjopper, Z's Prize, & TGC Cherry Bomb
    • Discussion topic for another day: Top Three Must Have Acros. My list would include the Cali Tort & the Cherry Bomb (still figuring out the third).
  • Because of the potent combination of a lack of restraint (see stock list), the aforementioned additions, and a shortage of LR real estate (but...there is always room for one more, eh, @teenyreef?!), I had to do some pretty drastic frag rearrangment: 
    •  I moved the unnamed bali acro, WWC Slimeball, and the RR Pink Floyd (in addition to gluing the cherry bomb in the middle of the monti)
      • In other news, this the unnamed bali acro is kinda turning into the story of the ugly duckling: started off as a brown turn, grew fast & remained a brown turd, became even a browner after August's monthly alk spike, but now... now it's transitioning into a nice tri-color swan-ish beauty! If I was a snobbish wine-bro I would likely describe it as having a subtle green base with delicate hints of sage, a purplish body that reminds one of twilight on the prairie, and blue tips, not unlike a soft robin's egg... 
  • Went chasing waterfalls in Brazil, and keeping in character, forgot to fill the dosing containers, as a result, alk dropped 3.0+ dkh, which was less than ideal. As a result, the Hawkin's Blue Echinata and the WWC Plum Passion started to RTN and the WWC After Party browned out hard. I was pretty convinced I was going to lose all three, but miraculously all have started to recover. 
    • This really demonstrates why the most smart reefers advise against having an acro dominate nano tank: currently, the tank is consuming between any where between 6.5 and 7.5 ml of alk a day (about 2.0- 2.5 DKH a day), which means the tank is constantly living on the edge, any hiccup in dosing really can send this thing into a tailspin. 
  • Set-up a frag tank to handle over spill.
    • Finally, got rid of unloved zoa island (which in reality, had become aptaisa and bubble algae island)  from the DT.
    • Trimmed back the monti and birdsnest alot. (thinking of getting rid of the BN... thoughts?)
    • I have to give a huge shout out to @micoastreefing who hooked me up with not only some tasty brews, but also a Aqamai KPS for the frag tank! I owe you!

I'm probably missing somethings, but honestly, I got tired of writing. So there you have it, October! On to the shoddy monthly progress pics!

8022693A-7BA7-47B6-ACD7-D1975FEAD481.jpeg

5D872A01-8B3A-4775-83DC-61F1F00264CD.jpeg

DA710EFB-18A9-4353-94B5-B3786110C1F3.jpeg

7FEE95D5-86A3-4988-B0DF-FD2156FB6BEA.jpeg

ED6C77D6-40C6-4BA9-9956-CB98C91C1EA3.jpeg

One year ago (Blen-Daddy is still chonky)! 

4E33D7C4-191E-4FCB-9252-6D7C21E75047.jpeg

I just wanted to say, the one year comparison is amazing! Glad to be following along. 

Ps, can’t wait to see that frag tank gets its own journal. 

On 10/26/2018 at 7:47 AM, Cannedfish said:

Thanks... This chicken pressure is getting intense, may have to sharpen the pencil this weekend!

I wouldn't trust these cluckers as far as I could throw them. Turn your back for a second, and they will steal your lunch money...

I have been documenting this tasty beer swapping and drinking experience. I really need to open a thread so we can "crow" about how cool we are. 

100%

Lucky it was only his house... 

——

Sun coral (had them for a week, time to frag? jk😞

A5018E43-E126-4A41-8272-71F01666BBCC.jpeg

Glo, beer quality control:

CD345C2E-4319-481D-BC99-06D1FF3CD332.jpeg

Feed that sun coral and that yard piranha is going to shit in your house :lol:

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Ps, can’t wait to see that frag tank gets its own journal. 

:lol: like he has time for that................you see all the crap he has top add to the tank..............hell he hardly has time to drink a beer :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, spectra said:

Feed that sun coral and that yard piranha is going to shit in your house :lol:

45 minutes ago, spectra said:

:lol: like he has time for that................you see all the crap he has top add to the tank..............hell he hardly has time to drink a beer :rolleyes:

This may be the first time I don’t have a snarky response... Touché salesman, touché! 

Ps: I haven’t even mentioned that we had one of our “fancier” chickens stuffed...

8A2BD8AC-52B7-4FD8-A122-64909C41979E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
27 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

This may be the first time I don’t have a snarky response... Touché salesman, touché! 

Ps: I haven’t even mentioned that we had one of our “fancier” chickens stuffed...

Salesman.............

10 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Is that a stuffed frizzle?

21 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Is that a stuffed frizzle?

Yup, that was football (the chicken), she was an absolute sweetheart and really unique looking. Unfortunately, we lost her to what we have been told was was West Nile, so we had her stuffed (I guess this is giving away part of the chicken saga part 3...)! Fun fact, the guy who stuffed her does a lot of the avian taxidermy work for the Smithsonian, and is arguably one of the best avian taxidermists in the world. He actually hand carved and painted her (new) head. And weirdly, she goes with kinda eclectic interior decoration scheme of the sitting area in our dinning room (which also includes a fully stuffed piebald peacock... I swear its not creepy). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
38 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Yup, that was football (the chicken), she was an absolute sweetheart and really unique looking. Unfortunately, we lost her to what we have been told was was West Nile, so we had her stuffed (I guess this is giving away part of the chicken saga part 3...)! Fun fact, the guy who stuffed her does a lot of the avian taxidermy work for the Smithsonian, and is arguably one of the best avian taxidermists in the world. He actually hand carved and painted her (new) head. And weirdly, she goes with kinda eclectic interior decoration scheme of the sitting area in our dinning room (which also includes a fully stuffed piebald peacock... I swear its not creepy). 

I love the way frizzles and silkies look. Weird feathers ftw!

10 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

I swear its not creepy :lol: stuffed animals are creepy period.............I wanted to stuff our bulldog but the wife said no..........he had a little mississippi leg hound in him and well I figured wtf why not get him in that pose :rolleyes:

I grew up next to a big game hunter who had all sorts of trophies in his house talk about weird.........he even had a giraffe from the base of the neck up :blink: I couldnt even imagin what it would cost today to have the stuff done he did 40 years ago.........hell he had at least 6 full size bears.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
On 11/2/2018 at 8:26 AM, Lula_Mae said:

I love the way frizzles and silkies look. Weird feathers ftw!

Love silkies! We had a silkie that might have been the sweetest chicken ever born, but man was she dumb. We joked that she didn’t get enough oxygen while hatching, because, I swear to god, more than once, she got stuck in a corner. Nothing around or blocking her, she for the life of her, just could not figure out how to turn around. Unfortunately, she was lost to a opossum... which prompted us getting a New Jersey Giant (not the easiest chicken to get a hold of). Nothing messes with big Glo. We haven’t seen the opossum in a while... and I wouldn’t be shocked if she got revenge, Jersey style. “Ya know

what I mean...”Also

opposed to Fluff Nugget, who was, aforementioned, dumb as rocks, Glo is smart. Too smart...

21 hours ago, spectra said:

I swear its not creepy :lol: stuffed animals are creepy period.............I wanted to stuff our bulldog but the wife said no..........he had a little mississippi leg hound in him and well I figured wtf why not get him in that pose :rolleyes:

I grew up next to a big game hunter who had all sorts of trophies in his house talk about weird.........he even had a giraffe from the base of the neck up :blink: I couldnt even imagin what it would cost today to have the stuff done he did 40 years ago.........hell he had at least 6 full size bears.

The ladyfriend’s family has several of their best bird dogs cast as a bronze statues after they died, which is alright I guess. And we have had official pet portraits of our dogs painted (full oil paint). But I have to agree that having a dog stuffed would be full on creepy. Plus you would have to dust it, which would seem unpleasant.

Tenuously related story: when we went to Iceland, we brought back a traditional Icelandic sheep’s hide stool, which if

you walk into the living room quickly looks like our old dog (that died this summer) curled and sleeping, and that is unsettling. So a full stuffed dog, pass. Fun fact about Iceland, they are the undisputed king of the world for gross food. While, I admit horse ribeye is delicious, fermented shark or pickled whale blubber is simply the stuff of nightmares! Plus a cheap beer cost like $16! Outrage!

Similarly, I had a couple friends growing up who’s father or grandfather had a trophy room of exotic stuffed animals or hides. While I admit to being an avid (maybe exuberant, even) duck hunter, and have no qualms with most other hunting. I’ve, sadly, become soft in my old age to some of the big game hunting. Giraffes are magnificent creatures, do we really need to hunt them in order to stuff their heads and stick them in the corner, or make an umbrella stand out of an elephant leg? If you want to shoot that possum hunting my chickens, great. Just don’t shoot all the rhinos so you can make tea to make your dong bigger (I’m looking at you China)!

——

Enough  non-sequitur ranting! On to the terrible pictures!! Nobody reads words anyways!

Sexy Shrimp!

78945D93-7048-4EF9-8714-F89627B345DB.jpeg

Right side view:

02408B98-7EF3-45A5-8545-1B5902F5EC1D.jpeg

White Zombie:

8D9B6A4B-1E42-4312-8ECA-12BD7988C037.jpeg

Big Glo Falling asleep to some bad TV:

C425A6B4-89D0-4E43-A27B-14E0BAC5FF4C.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Love silkies! We had a silkie that might have been the sweetest chicken ever born, but man was she dumb. We joked that she didn’t get enough oxygen while hatching, because, I swear to god, more than once, she got stuck in a corner. Nothing around or blocking her, she for the life of her, just could not figure out how to turn around. Unfortunately, she was lost to a opossum... which prompted us getting a New Jersey Giant (not the easiest chicken to get a hold of). Nothing messes with big Glo. We haven’t seen the opossum in a while... and I wouldn’t be shocked if she got revenge, Jersey style. “Ya know

what I mean...”Also

opposed to Fluff Nugget, who was, aforementioned, dumb as rocks, Glo is smart. Too smart...

The ladyfriend’s family has several of their best bird dogs cast as a bronze statues after they died, which is alright I guess. And we have had official pet portraits of our dogs painted (full oil paint). But I have to agree that having a dog stuffed would be full on creepy. Plus you would have to dust it, which would seem unpleasant.

Tenuously related story: when we went to Iceland, we brought back a traditional Icelandic sheep’s hide stool, which if

you walk into the living room quickly looks like our old dog (that died this summer) curled and sleeping, and that is unsettling. So a full stuffed dog, pass. Fun fact about Iceland, they are the undisputed king of the world for gross food. While, I admit horse ribeye is delicious, fermented shark or pickled whale blubber is simply the stuff of nightmares! Plus a cheap beer cost like $16! Outrage!

Similarly, I had a couple friends growing up who’s father or grandfather had a trophy room of exotic stuffed animals or hides. While I admit to being an avid (maybe exuberant, even) duck hunter, and have no qualms with most other hunting. I’ve, sadly, become soft in my old age to some of the big game hunting. Giraffes are magnificent creatures, do we really need to hunt them in order to stuff their heads and stick them in the corner, or make an umbrella stand out of an elephant leg? If you want to shoot that possum hunting my chickens, great. Just don’t shoot all the rhinos so you can make tea to make your dong bigger (I’m looking at you China)!

——

Enough  non-sequitur ranting! On to the terrible pictures!! Nobody reads words anyways!

Sexy Shrimp!

78945D93-7048-4EF9-8714-F89627B345DB.jpeg

Right side view:

02408B98-7EF3-45A5-8545-1B5902F5EC1D.jpeg

White Zombie:

8D9B6A4B-1E42-4312-8ECA-12BD7988C037.jpeg

Big Glo Falling asleep to some bad TV:

C425A6B4-89D0-4E43-A27B-14E0BAC5FF4C.jpeg

Then it's true what Gaston said to Belle in the animated Beauty and the Beast? "How can you read this? There's no pictures!"

Fun fact: saw that in theaters for my 7th (?) birthday. My best friend's mom took her, me and her sister. After, I came home and spent what seemed like hours recounting every detail of the movie to my very patient dad. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Are you having a post election high? Are you having a post election low? Don’t care either way, but you hate Wednesdays? Welp, here’s an interesting and quasi-relevant fish article, and a photo dump of some crappy pictures! Next stop... the weekend!!

Git outta da pump!

641CA1F1-5F87-4CD7-A3AA-4E33F1642A1E.jpeg

New acan garden locale:

F8B50568-BBEB-47AC-8638-E4C2D9839121.jpeg

WWC Slimeball:

DED5CA20-DE16-4BD6-A856-EFF909F8B7EF.jpeg

Green slimer:

85DF7841-2085-4D4E-A12A-F4B1DE1232C9.jpeg

WWC Peppermint Cyphastrea:

F896F775-A98E-4932-AFD0-64432182EDD1.jpeg

Bane of the tank:

E8596BAD-7DC9-4D5D-A416-D82F6669D5B9.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Looks ridiculous as usual. 🙄😁

Hopefully, the tank will color up a bit more and achieve its childhood dream of looking like “an I’ll advised cross between an Elton John jacket and Ken Kesey’s bus.” When I made the the comment that that was a weirdly specific and slightly obtuse childhood dream, it responded “microwaves don’t grow on trees.” I don’t know what that means, so let it go. Either way, thank you!!

• Haha 1
HookedOnAquariums
3 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Hopefully, the tank will color up a bit more and achieve its childhood dream of looking like “an I’ll advised cross between an Elton John jacket and Ken Kesey’s bus.” When I made the the comment that that was a weirdly specific and slightly obtuse childhood dream, it responded “microwaves don’t grow on trees.” I don’t know what that means, so let it go. Either way, thank you!!

I think at this point your about a "repeatedly spinning a prize wheel while a brothel of clowns block your peripheral vision" on the e-moh color scale

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
39 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Let it go... like Elsa? :lol: @kimberbee

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/7/2018 at 5:58 PM, HookedOnAquariums said:

I think at this point your about a "repeatedly spinning a prize wheel while a brothel of clowns block your peripheral vision" on the e-moh color scale

I'm not going to lie, the idea of a "brothel of clowns" is going to haunt the darker corners of my mind for a while. There are a lot of strange things in the world, (most of which are sexual fetishes secretly googled by men in Utah), but a circus themed pleasure house (which I imagine is patronized mainly by 40 year old's that work an unfulfilling IT jobs and live with their parents... and unattractive swingers) is up there... along with a pantsuit made of live gerbils...

On 11/7/2018 at 6:18 PM, spectra said:

Looks better than my tank :lol: looks good!

That, good sir, is fake news. Even though we rarely get glimpses of it, we all know what your tank looks like and how awesome it is... Nice try!

On 11/7/2018 at 6:33 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Let it go... like Elsa? :lol: @kimberbee

That stupid song has been in my head since I read your response three days ago! Bad!

——

Anyway its the weekend, which means I'm about to stuff my face with strange sausage and wash that down with hooch... and with that... crappy picture time!

Cherry Bomb:

D1FB3CD1-320F-4C8E-85A7-551944548D94.jpeg

Plague:

6178BA0F-3CBA-444D-8F8A-F1FBDC0BE14C.jpeg

Color contrasts (and one browned out WWC After Party)

261E933D-BC00-4342-8F88-8684FDEE0BE4.jpeg

Z's Prize:

18C8F5DF-615B-4B9F-BA23-9300ED25C1FE.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

That, good sir, is fake news. Even though we rarely get glimpses of it, we all know what your tank looks like and how awesome it is... Nice try!

——

Anyway its the weekend, which means I'm about to stuff my face with strange sausage and wash that down with hooch... and with that... crappy picture time!

Cherry Bomb:

D1FB3CD1-320F-4C8E-85A7-551944548D94.jpeg

Plague:

6178BA0F-3CBA-444D-8F8A-F1FBDC0BE14C.jpeg

Color contrasts (and one browned out WWC After Party)

261E933D-BC00-4342-8F88-8684FDEE0BE4.jpeg

Z's Prize:

18C8F5DF-615B-4B9F-BA23-9300ED25C1FE.jpeg

:lol: no seriously yours looks better..........hell I messed with the sand and stired up satans dust or something........cyano is now growing and a few xoas are pissed but there the ones I hate :lol:

• Like 1

I don’t know what you guys are gushing and admiring, this tank is full of bubble algae 🤣

btw, I was down in NOLA a few years ago for work. Ate at Emeril’s joint by the convention center daily, great food. Oh, and that other awesome local chef, Donald Links.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

I don’t know what you guys are gushing and admiring, this tank is full of bubble algae 🤣

btw, I was down in NOLA a few years ago for work. Ate at Emeril’s joint by the convention center daily, great food. Oh, and that other awesome local chef, Donald Links.

Whats wrong with bubble algae :lol: you should see my IM14 I have..................its infested...............I need a small foxface really bad............

• Like 1