Pod Your Reef

Blenwood's Reef - 1st attempts at focus stacking

Cannedfish

HookedOnAquariums
3 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Whoa! Slow down! Never say you’ll “give anything...” that’s how I lost my pinky finger at a roadside circus. Unfortunately, barring an unforeseen miracle, the kind that gets long dead European priests canonized, there will never be a tank thread for the frag tank. Not because I’m too lazy (I am), not because it’s already difficult for my coonass to string enough words together to make a semi-coherent post (it is), not because the frag tank at this point isn’t interesting (it isn’t). Rather it is because every person has a shame. For some it’s the fact that when no one is looking they like to stuff their face with gas station hotdogs, for others it’s the fact they often clip their toe nails in bed, still for others it’s the fact they have three nipples. For me my shame is all of the above... but it’s also the frag tank. See, the frag tank is basically ten gallons of hair algae, poor maintenance, and a yellow goby. It’s so beautiful that the ladyfriend calls it the dumpster. So it seems unlikely to get its own thread and it’s certainly not worth losing a pinky finger over.  

Look as a teenager I feel it is time I need to give up some of my fingers for a cause I deem just. You see, even if the idea of a frag tank thread is better than an actual frag tank thread it will still provide me gratification. And if you think your “dumpster” is bad. It does not compare to (my mother’s words) that algae pool upstairs. I’m not kidding it is quite literally growing algae the experts on r2r can’t identify. And it still has a thread. Why? It’s for the masses. (Even though there is one active participant) and for me. It is a record of my failures. While my acans still have color and my zoas are open it still sucks. And I know that and love that. I wish to feel that way about another tank. 

Edit: during that speil I really wanted to bring up the patron saint of Poland. But never got the chance to. getting cannedfish to start a new tank thread could probably get me sainthood. Some idiot managed to get a whole following and a country ordained to him just because he didn’t ejaculate his entire life. So please get the pope to notice me.

• Like 2

Honestly though,there is nothing wrong with the dosers at all. Not everyone has $220+ for a Bubble Magus,ATI,Vertex or AquaMedic systems. There is nothing wrong with running a budget doser. If it gets the job done the eff it in the a !!! 

I have heard they are very slow growers until they start to stretch thrir legs and then it can take off. I am trying to select a few varients that I want for my tank. I have about 5-6 good spots I can place Acro's at the moment.. I'm thinking:

Acro's:

PC Rainbow (Maybe)

Red Planet (Maybe)

Red Dragon (Maybe) 

WD (Maybe)

Tenuis (Maybe)

Millepora (Maybe) 

I'm really leaning towards Monti HEAVY,and locally I can find about every varient of them 😄

• Like 1
9 hours ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Look as a teenager I feel it is time I need to give up some of my fingers for a cause I deem just. You see, even if the idea of a frag tank thread is better than an actual frag tank thread it will still provide me gratification. And if you think your “dumpster” is bad. It does not compare to (my mother’s words) that algae pool upstairs. I’m not kidding it is quite literally growing algae the experts on r2r can’t identify. And it still has a thread. Why? It’s for the masses. (Even though there is one active participant) and for me. It is a record of my failures. While my acans still have color and my zoas are open it still sucks. And I know that and love that. I wish to feel that way about another tank. 

Edit: during that speil I really wanted to bring up the patron saint of Poland. But never got the chance to. getting cannedfish to start a new tank thread could probably get me sainthood. Some idiot managed to get a whole following and a country ordained to him just because he didn’t ejaculate his entire life. So please get the pope to notice me.

Haha, while I support most of your statements above—teenage extremity loss, sexual frustration, unusual facts about Poland, tank populism—I'm not sure if I can bring myself to document more of my failures publicly. Not because of embarrassment or an similar negative self-emotions, but because I feel like that between this thread and the police records that this a pretty saturated market. Currently, the plan is the frag tank will make an occasional "celebrity guest appearance" every now and again. If, however, the sky starts falling and I do manage to start a separate thread I will personally right a letter to His Holiness aka the Supreme Pontiff. 

5 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Honestly though,there is nothing wrong with the dosers at all. Not everyone has $220+ for a Bubble Magus,ATI,Vertex or AquaMedic systems. There is nothing wrong with running a budget doser. If it gets the job done the eff it in the a !!! 

I have heard they are very slow growers until they start to stretch thrir legs and then it can take off. I am trying to select a few varients that I want for my tank. I have about 5-6 good spots I can place Acro's at the moment.. I'm thinking:

Acro's:

PC Rainbow (Maybe)

Red Planet (Maybe)

Red Dragon (Maybe) 

WD (Maybe)

Tenuis (Maybe)

Millepora (Maybe) 

I'm really leaning towards Monti HEAVY,and locally I can find about every varient of them 😄

That's a pretty solid list, I would suggest adding a Cali tort to that list (color contrast), but other than that I think you're good!! I have been considering dipping my feet into the high-end monti market, the Crazy T monti really looks insane!!

As always bad photo time!! NPS macro edition!

Probably my favorite coral: Fathead Dendros

20EBD0AC-209F-4B12-9536-20B8078A2C59.jpeg\

Balanophyllia looking creepy per usual:

EC2ECD59-6C85-46B7-9817-4C8B9871AA1D.jpeg

Pink and yellow suns:

110E7425-ED53-4EAE-80AC-4CC2C42F7C9B.jpeg

Black suns:

FBB5A07E-BC03-4D38-9FBD-B91CC888F027.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I want tons of acro's but space is pretty limited as to where I can put things. My list is 400 miles long lol. 

BSA has some out of this world Monti's and even better Acan's. They have some amazing Japanese Acan's for standard red prices !!! https://www.bsacorals.com/product-category/lps/acanthastrea/?orderby=price

I've never heard of that site...they have some amazing looking corals

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Oh yeah they have been out for awhile they have a crazy crazy selection at stupidly good prices. 

I was checking out the blastos :smilie:

7 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I was checking out the blastos :smilie:

I’ve ordered from Ben several times. He gave me some free blastos that are super pretty and an awesome acan too.  

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I’ve ordered from Ben several times. He gave me some free blastos that are super pretty and an awesome acan too.  

Love choices...will have to fill the 75 once that happens :happydance:

• Like 1
HookedOnAquariums

I call dibs not a blasto frag. Those are spectacular. Better than any blasto I’ve even dreamed of.

can also relate. Went to the lfs to pick up some Fluconazole and ended up with a Montipora.

1 hour ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

I call dibs not a blasto frag. Those are spectacular. Better than any blasto I’ve even dreamed of.

can also relate. Went to the lfs to pick up some Fluconazole and ended up with a Montipora.

Welp, whether you like it or not your second in line for a frag!!! Honestly if these live they will be spectacular...

21 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

What happenes to the poor guy ?! 

I got these from a localism LFS ( which is legit). These are from the owners personal collection. He purchased them wholesale for an outrageous sum, but they were dying and sold them to me me at basically a gambler bargain... he did the same thing with a 30 head colony of dendros... hopefully i

can go two for two.  Even with my acro tastes what he paid per polyp for

these blastos is scary. 

24 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Canned, just out of curiosity, have you ever taken par readings in your tank? 

Nope. But I’m guessing it’s not as extreme as you would think. My guess is the top is slightly less than 300. What’s crazy is what happens when I accidentally switch off one of the Primes (when drunkenly trying to turn off the pumps for feeding)... with only one light it seems like I was trying to grow things in cave. But then again acros kinda look like stalagmites... or stalactites... I can never remember which is which....

• Thanks 1

You have them pretty high and spread out though right? 

Based on my current settings at 9 inches or so I'm pushing 470 at the surface, center based on the measurements a fellow member took for me. 

Oh, and stalagmites = up, stalactites = down. I looked it up. 

I'm just patiently waiting for the Acro pics :happydance:

EDIT: Those do look like they will be pretty insane when they recover and start to grow. I have personally been a Blasto fan,but I do appreciate a nice coral when I see one. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, MrObscura said:

You have them pretty high and spread out though right? 

Based on my current settings at 9 inches or so I'm pushing 470 at the surface, center based on the measurements a fellow member took for me. 

Awesome! Is above or below the water? Did you get a read 3 & 6” below the surface?

14 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

But then again acros kinda look like stalagmites... or stalactites... I can never remember which is which....

14 hours ago, MrObscura said:

In school I was taught that stalactites hang down because they have to hold on "tite" to the ceiling or they'll fall... that's the only way I remember which is which. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4