inTank Media Baskets

Mariaface's Contest Tank?!

Mariaface

29 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Well, there are also money cowries.   They will leave macros alone and only the gha according to @stellablue.  I have never kept them with macros, but I can confirm they are GHA eating beasts. 

Hmm.. I'll see how much progress the limpet and snails make. Maybe a tail spot blenny will get along with a handful of trimma gobies :) 

13 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

It is! best stuff ever. got rid of my bryopsis.

7 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Yehp! I used it for bryopsis in the Fusion 20; I still have most of the medication I purchased sitting somewhere. Magic.

Oh, sorry, I was referring to the troll! :lol:  I know flucon's pretty awesome, though I haven't had to try it myself.

6 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Well, there are also money cowries.   They will leave macros alone and only the gha according to @stellablue.  I have never kept them with macros, but I can confirm they are GHA eating beasts. 

How big do the cowries get? I'd be interested in trying one but don't want to get one in a tank that's too small for it.

So like I posted in the FTS thread just now, the macro in the tank is slowly gaining mass while the hair algae is slowly halting/declining. I'll admit I stuck tweezers in the tank to remove some of the places where dying halimeda was feeding hair algae.

5KuXQhK.jpg

The little limpet that could is eating a path through the hair algae on one of the rocks. It's also my favorite rock just because of the different macros growing on it :P 

pqvcsRw.jpg

I haven't dosed bacteria in the past week (maybe?), so a few spots of cyano are popping up. The sandbed looks like a mess; I'll need more research into stirrers..

2mYfA8t.jpg

This fluffy macro. I just identified it for @stellablue and promptly forgot the name, didn't I?

HIQIdcp.jpg

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

So like I posted in the FTS thread just now, the macro in the tank is slowly gaining mass while the hair algae is slowly halting/declining. I'll admit I stuck tweezers in the tank to remove some of the places where dying halimeda was feeding hair algae.

5KuXQhK.jpg

The little limpet that could is eating a path through the hair algae on one of the rocks. It's also my favorite rock just because of the different macros growing on it :P 

pqvcsRw.jpg

I haven't dosed bacteria in the past week (maybe?), so a few spots of cyano are popping up. The sandbed looks like a mess; I'll need more research into stirrers..

2mYfA8t.jpg

This fluffy macro. I just identified it for @stellablue and promptly forgot the name, didn't I?

HIQIdcp.jpg

Oh crap! You did! Oh wait! I remember verticulata or something 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I mean, I'm not proud of how I don't update?! 

igfvytv.jpg

But after that molt, my porcelain crab didn't really have energy, and seemed to slow down until he just wasn't moving anymore? Then the RFA began to walk, landed upside down, and managed to become susceptible to the crazy bacteria. Had to throw it out :( 

On the other hand, I found these two cuties on Diver's Den. 

9CJZe8G.jpg

And they came with a helpful friend:

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I mean, I'm not proud of how I don't update?! 

igfvytv.jpg

But after that molt, my porcelain crab didn't really have energy, and seemed to slow down until he just wasn't moving anymore? Then the RFA began to walk, landed upside down, and managed to become susceptible to the crazy bacteria. Had to throw it out :( 

On the other hand, I found these two cuties on Diver's Den. 

9CJZe8G.jpg

And they came with a helpful friend:

That video brought a smile to my face, I like your new additions!!!

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

:wub: Are they Wheeler's gobies?

Yes they are!

I was terrified they were going to hide from me and die, especially after the larger one jumped out of the tank on the very first day. I must've spooked him, and then I didn't see him for two days after.

But as of yesterday they're sitting outside their tunnel when I'm not too close, and gobbling up NLS .5mm pellets, Rod's Original frozen food, and Brightwell's Zooplantos-M or Reef Blizzard-L (the larger particles in these, of course).

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

The tank isn't nearly as messy, and certain events have made me think that this tank is just now starting to stabilize...

For example: 

For twenty minutes.

During  feeding time.

I happened to see this when I looked up in the middle of it:

D0sOnT5.jpg

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

The tank isn't nearly as messy, and certain events have made me think that this tank is just now starting to stabilize...

For example: 

I wish to know more about these "certain events"!! omgomgomg

Wait, I just saw it, that's cool!!!

• Like 1

Plus, the coralline is kind of amazing on these rocks? I should probably thank the tuxedos for getting rid of so much pest algae for me, but they also destroyed my awesome macros just like they're supposed to <_<

bOi1sXd.jpg

This one likes to keep its algae as a snack for later:

VP0L0jU.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
13 hours ago, Mariaface said:

For example: 

For twenty minutes.

During  feeding time.

I happened to see this when I looked up in the middle of it:

D0sOnT5.jpg

We need time lapse on that video. That would be cool!B)

Just now, Pjanssen said:

We need time lapse on that video. That would be cool!B)

I didn't catch the full twenty minutes! I just know there was a lot of haze in the water :P 

• Like 2

Hi there

Almost time for the contest end in FOUR DAYS!!

Please post some pictures and a final FTS whenever you get a chance along with your challenges and observations.

Any equipment feedback would be great too.

And a summary of livestock with prices

Thanks

Alright, @metrokat! Here's my Loser Speech! :D  

Final FTS: :tears:

SzGNIMs.jpg

I swear to god those fish are still alive, guys. And the pistol shrimp just snapped, too! I'm not crazy! They just don't like me!

Challenges

1. Bacteria from Hell. We all know my stint with a mat-forming, acid-creating, vinegar-foot-smelling bacteria that murdered my vulnerable hitchhikers. Unknown air fresheners are the enemy, you guys. Especially in a tank with any die-off or ridiculous phosphate/carbon/nutrient levels. The good news is that I was able to fend it off using bacterial supplements, carbon, polyfilter (to adsorb organics), filter floss, and routine basting. Plus I still have surviving hitchhikers that are just a little impossible to get photos of when your cousin took your SD card hostage. The bad news is that my rose coral died, god damn it. :(

2. Freaky algae. Pictured below is caulerpa verticillata that grew through the rock and is now sprouting underneath it. Honestly, I ain't even mad. It's running away from whatever chemicals the GSP is releasing, and desperately in search of nutrients now that my issues have gotten under control. And when it weakens, the tuxedos aren't afraid to munch on it. They've certainly demolished the cool macros I had going in the beginning... :angry:

nspBXzF.jpg

Observations

1. Things take time. We all know it, but it's still easier said than done. I feel like my ride on the struggle bus shoved me back a few paces, but the tank is just now feeling mature and robust enough to handle anything more.

2. I'm a lazy mofo.

2a. Two water changes this entire time.

2b. Stand? What stand? I didn't even put that thing together until the beginning of the month, and now it'll probably never hold a saltwater tank...

3. Live rock is awesome! Dan at Gulf Live Rock sends some amazing stuff. I've already rambled about this in the past, but I feel like I should mention it again :P I think if I'd started with dry rock and run into my bacterial issues, I'd still be fighting it and I'd have torn my hair out. The diversity in the live rock, along with the supplements, gave me something to fight back with.

4. I can't handle four aquariums. I leave at 7, I get home at 7 or 8, and it's not enough time to take care of two saltwater tanks. The freshwater tanks basically take care of themselves, so I may redo this contest tank as freshwater. Betta jungle!

Livestock, with Prices: $354

-RFA: $20

-Porcelain Crab: $10

-Seven Sexy Shrimp: $84 (Guys, I have one left)

-GSP Colony: $50

-Two tuxedos: $40

-Wheeler Goby bonded pair with red banded pistol shrimp: $70

-Suffering GSP, monti, monti, spongodes frags from RAP: $40 ($10 each)

-Snail, limpet, and hermit bomb from Reefcleaners: $40

Equipment Feedback

1. Amazing glass box. Other than a slight scratch out of the box (on the outside, near the rear chambers, almost hard to notice), this thing is pretty amazing. It's sleek, modern, seems like quality.

2. Not so amazing stock pump. Anywhere in the house that I went (on this floor and the floor below), I could hear the stock return pump going. I was getting complaints the entire time it was in. The replacement pump that IM sent came without an impeller at all, so I gave up and switched it out for the Sicce Syncra. Now I can't hear the tank when I'm standing right next to it.

3. Light is nice! The singled out red LEDs are obvious on the surface, less obvious on the sandbed. I didn't try to challenge the PAR levels with light-hungry corals, though.

Future Plans

1. Merge this stuff into the Fusion 20, convert this tank to freshwater betta tank. I can't take care of a second saltwater tank, but I don't want to say goodbye to my bivalves (there's a handful), my barnacles, my teeny patch of remaining hitchhiker coral, my hair worms, anything. Much less the cute fishies! And shrimpies! So they'll be transitioned into the Fusion 20, where everyone will get along (or else). The only things I'm hesitant on keeping at the tuxedo urchins. The Fusion 20 straight up doesn't grow algae, guys. They're gonna have to be rehomed.

More Pictures?

gV3DMNE.jpg

TdsHN0i.jpg

SSH5LKe.jpg

eE5co8T.jpg

Back wall of shame: 

yMU8As2.jpg

Back chambers of shame:

YMWjMhe.jpg

Ta-ta for now!

dH92sPG.jpg

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Alright, @metrokat! Here's my Loser Speech! :D  

Final FTS: :tears:

SzGNIMs.jpg

I swear to god those fish are still alive, guys. And the pistol shrimp just snapped, too! I'm not crazy! They just don't like me!

Challenges

1. Bacteria from Hell. We all know my stint with a mat-forming, acid-creating, vinegar-foot-smelling bacteria that murdered my vulnerable hitchhikers. Unknown air fresheners are the enemy, you guys. Especially in a tank with any die-off or ridiculous phosphate/carbon/nutrient levels. The good news is that I was able to fend it off using bacterial supplements, carbon, polyfilter (to adsorb organics), filter floss, and routine basting. Plus I still have surviving hitchhikers that are just a little impossible to get photos of when your cousin took your SD card hostage. The bad news is that my rose coral died, god damn it. :(

2. Freaky algae. Pictured below is caulerpa verticillata that grew through the rock and is now sprouting underneath it. Honestly, I ain't even mad. It's running away from whatever chemicals the GSP is releasing, and desperately in search of nutrients now that my issues have gotten under control. And when it weakens, the tuxedos aren't afraid to munch on it. They've certainly demolished the cool macros I had going in the beginning... :angry:

nspBXzF.jpg

Observations

1. Things take time. We all know it, but it's still easier said than done. I feel like my ride on the struggle bus shoved me back a few paces, but the tank is just now feeling mature and robust enough to handle anything more.

2. I'm a lazy mofo.

2a. Two water changes this entire time.

2b. Stand? What stand? I didn't even put that thing together until the beginning of the month, and now it'll probably never hold a saltwater tank...

3. Live rock is awesome! Dan at Gulf Live Rock sends some amazing stuff. I've already rambled about this in the past, but I feel like I should mention it again :P I think if I'd started with dry rock and run into my bacterial issues, I'd still be fighting it and I'd have torn my hair out. The diversity in the live rock, along with the supplements, gave me something to fight back with.

4. I can't handle four aquariums. I leave at 7, I get home at 7 or 8, and it's not enough time to take care of two saltwater tanks. The freshwater tanks basically take care of themselves, so I may redo this contest tank as freshwater. Betta jungle!

Livestock, with Prices: $354

-RFA: $20

-Porcelain Crab: $10

-Seven Sexy Shrimp: $84 (Guys, I have one left)

-GSP Colony: $50

-Two tuxedos: $40

-Wheeler Goby bonded pair with red banded pistol shrimp: $70

-Suffering GSP, monti, monti, spongodes frags from RAP: $40 ($10 each)

-Snail, limpet, and hermit bomb from Reefcleaners: $40

Equipment Feedback

1. Amazing glass box. Other than a slight scratch out of the box (on the outside, near the rear chambers, almost hard to notice), this thing is pretty amazing. It's sleek, modern, seems like quality.

2. Not so amazing stock pump. Anywhere in the house that I went (on this floor and the floor below), I could hear the stock return pump going. I was getting complaints the entire time it was in. The replacement pump that IM sent came without an impeller at all, so I gave up and switched it out for the Sicce Syncra. Now I can't hear the tank when I'm standing right next to it.

3. Light is nice! The singled out red LEDs are obvious on the surface, less obvious on the sandbed. I didn't try to challenge the PAR levels with light-hungry corals, though.

Future Plans

1. Merge this stuff into the Fusion 20, convert this tank to freshwater betta tank. I can't take care of a second saltwater tank, but I don't want to say goodbye to my bivalves (there's a handful), my barnacles, my teeny patch of remaining hitchhiker coral, my hair worms, anything. Much less the cute fishies! And shrimpies! So they'll be transitioned into the Fusion 20, where everyone will get along (or else). The only things I'm hesitant on keeping at the tuxedo urchins. The Fusion 20 straight up doesn't grow algae, guys. They're gonna have to be rehomed.

More Pictures?

gV3DMNE.jpg

TdsHN0i.jpg

SSH5LKe.jpg

eE5co8T.jpg

Back wall of shame: 

yMU8As2.jpg

Back chambers of shame:

YMWjMhe.jpg

Ta-ta for now!

dH92sPG.jpg

Love the write-up!  Totally understand the time issue.  This would make a gorgeous betta tank!  The two ADF's I bought for my betta did not make it, found them dead when I came home. :(

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Love the write-up!  Totally understand the time issue.  This would make a gorgeous betta tank!  The two ADF's I bought for my betta did not make it, found them dead when I came home. :(

Oh, no!! I'm terrified to keep frogs, for some reason. Probably the jumping. xD For this as a betta tank, I'm thinking Vallisneria everywhere. Just a jungle of vines. May need to grow that out before adding the fish

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

Oh, no!! I'm terrified to keep frogs, for some reason. Probably the jumping. xD For this as a betta tank, I'm thinking Vallisneria everywhere. Just a jungle of vines. May need to grow that out before adding the fish

I bet that'd be gorgeous!

I've had bad luck with ADF's, only one ever lived more than a few weeks for me, and he did it in a tiny betta cube, and all the ones I put in filtered tanks died.  Go figure. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I bet that'd be gorgeous!

I've had bad luck with ADF's, only one ever lived more than a few weeks for me, and he did it in a tiny betta cube, and all the ones I put in filtered tanks died.  Go figure. :rolleyes:

Maybe the current is stressful? Not that it could be too strong in a betta tank... hm. :( 

1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

Maybe the current is stressful? Not that it could be too strong in a betta tank... hm. :( 

I dunno, there's no filter on this little tank, it's basically a betta bowl with plants.  Wondering if it was acclimation issue or what.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I dunno, there's no filter on this little tank, it's basically a betta bowl with plants.  Wondering if it was acclimation issue or what.

I mean, I'm the kind of person that puts an AC20 (with a Cobalt Neotherm 50W inside) on an 8" cube and makes it a planted betta tank :P I'd say test the betta fish water, and make sure it fits african dwarf frog parameters (including tropical temperature).