inTank Media Baskets

Mariaface's Contest Tank?!

Mariaface

1 hour ago, Mariaface said:

I hope so! I can probably also get creative with epoxy around it and let coral take that over..

Floating GSP island? :lol:

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Water's clear! Which means I need to find a better method of hanging that rock, huh? :P 

HUUZvYZ.jpg

On the other hand, algae growth is rampant. The diatoms have died back and now there are cute macros and not-so-cute hair/cyano algae. 

Cute red macro:

YB6adzT.jpg

Sargassum? Maybe?

nA9XjJR.jpg

The bivalve from my video, this time covered in algae:

tDwEiBA.jpg

And this is an awful potato picture, but these adorable little nubby polyps have started to come out of the rockwork. White and grey-ish striped, with the inside of the mouth looking like a burnt sienna color. I count four so far, one of which is tucked into a hole in the rock. It's off center (towards the top right).

obYofLlm.jpg?1

Wonderful update, and I think that IS Sargassum!!!

• Like 2

Apparently the fishies I'm aiming for are pretty difficult to come by. >:(  

But I may do a thing on Thursday... :happydance:

(Also I see that LC summer sale banner and I wish I weren't thinking of buying a new laptop..)

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Apparently the fishies I'm aiming for are pretty difficult to come by. >:(  

But I may do a thing on Thursday... :happydance:

(Also I see that LC summer sale banner and I wish I weren't thinking of buying a new laptop..)

Wait, LC summer sale?!?!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Wait, LC summer sale?!?!

It's on the front page :) And their website says it's this Saturday, along with the time I can't remember. Actually at this point the front page might say it too; I only saw the header last night :P 

Coral_chef
20 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

So uh...

I'm at $140 in the livestock budget. :blush:

Pictures later? Pictures later! :D 

I'm at like 320$ ?

• Like 6
On 6/7/2017 at 7:09 AM, Mariaface said:

It's on the front page :) And their website says it's this Saturday, along with the time I can't remember. Actually at this point the front page might say it too; I only saw the header last night :P 

Haha yeah I went to the website and it's there on the front page.  Best part is I'd placed an order from them and asked them to hold it till next week, and I emailed them and they said I can add sale stuff to the order!

• Like 2

They're just so cute!!

The porcelain crab even ate while acclimating!

I got these cutie pies at Manhattan Aquariums - Hellie was awesome, and Justyna was her usual awesome self :P 

Plus I met the competition

I'm gonna lose

• Like 9

These are the nubby anemone-like things I can't quite figure out :P I've found about six so far, I think? Just poking out of the rock work, half shaded.

vmPawI0.jpg

The tank at week 5:

jqaFTHG.jpg

• Like 10

Great videos!  Valerie, my porcelain crab, was all up in the front of the tank today when I fed lol.  She does pretty well despite only one claw!

• Like 2
Just now, spectra said:

Hairy rock ? maybe get an algae blenny ;)

I think my hitchhiking limpet is eating a path through the hair algae, so I'm keeping an eye out for now! I may consider it. Though I did have fish in mind - and even my backup choice was considered rare!

2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Great videos!  Valerie, my porcelain crab, was all up in the front of the tank today when I fed lol.  She does pretty well despite only one claw!

Cute!! I've never owned a porcelain crab before, but I imagine this tank will need to be fed pretty frequently if it filter feeds :P  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I think my hitchhiking limpet is eating a path through the hair algae, so I'm keeping an eye out for now! I may consider it. Though I did have fish in mind - and even my backup choice was considered rare!

Cute!! I've never owned a porcelain crab before, but I imagine this tank will need to be fed pretty frequently if it filter feeds :P  

Your alien limpet is making crop circles? :huh::lol:

I am pretty bad about feeding but am trying to do it more frequently for the macros...I don't think you necessarily HAVE to feed them if the tank has enough for them but it doesn't hurt. :happy:  Valerie also likes mysis lol.

• Like 1
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Your alien limpet is making crop circles? :huh::lol:

I am pretty bad about feeding but am trying to do it more frequently for the macros...I don't think you necessarily HAVE to feed them if the tank has enough for them but it doesn't hurt. :happy:  Valerie also likes mysis lol.

It is!

I'm honestly convinced a good portion of my problems stemmed from not feeding consistently/frequently enough, and not feeding the right particle sizes. So far the fish are fat and happy and the few corals that survived my crazy bacteria have stopped receding. I'm feeding more now, so a bit of algae comes up in the Fusion 20 (recedes when I lower phosphates or dose nitrates so the bacteria bring phosphates down instead). I just replace the carbon and the snails/limpets raze it down again. :) 

Now to keep feeding! And maybe split it up into two feedings a day - once before I leave the house, once when I get back 12 hours later.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, holy carp said:

Um, Fluconazole.  All's I'm sayin'...

Otherwise you have this

s-l300.jpg

Is that even reef-safe?! :unsure:

• Like 4
8 hours ago, holy carp said:

Um, Fluconazole.  All's I'm sayin'...

Otherwise you have this

s-l300.jpg

I'm gonna have to tear through my aquarium 'storage closet' (a whole IKEA wardrobe) to find the sleeve of capsules again :P I'm thinking this weekend will be a good time. The ATS stand came in so I get to unpack it, set it up, and somehow move the tank over without harming anything. ...Including myself.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Is that even reef-safe?! :unsure:

Yehp! I used it for bryopsis in the Fusion 20; I still have most of the medication I purchased sitting somewhere. Magic.

pincushion urchin? I think they eat it.  I am hoping to pick up a tuxedo urchin this weekend for the mantis tank to control the gha in there.  I have always wanted one and supposedly mantis do well with them.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

pincushion urchin? I think they eat it.  I am hoping to pick up a tuxedo urchin this weekend for the mantis tank to control the gha in there.  I have always wanted one and supposedly mantis do well with them.  

I thought urchins would go for macros? I've never had an urchin before. Hmmm...

17 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I thought urchins would go for macros? I've never had an urchin before. Hmmm...

Well, there are also money cowries.   They will leave macros alone and only the gha according to @stellablue.  I have never kept them with macros, but I can confirm they are GHA eating beasts.