Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mariaface's Contest Tank?!

Mariaface

Just now, Lula_Mae said:

That's the spirit!  It'll be easier once he moves out or you get your own place (whichever comes first), for sure.

Yehp! Student Loans > Funds for Red Sea Reefer > Move out! Priorities :P 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Yehp! Student Loans > Funds for Red Sea Reefer > Move out! Priorities :P 

:lol:

Student loans...can't wait to be employed so I can pay them again... (well, I'm technically employed but don't start till June so...)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Mariaface said:

It does suck! A lot! I'm decently sure it's being caused by whatever air freshener my brother's been using across the hallway, and I really can't get him to stop. But since the Fusion 20 has been able to find a balance after, I'm hoping this tank will as well. :) Where's my struggle bus medal? @Pjanssen and I can compete for it :P 

I'm sorry. If I could send you my tank I would. So frustrating to feel like I can't do anything.

If you think it's a fungus, what about Fluconozol? We use it for algae, but I believe it's actually a fungicide.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm sorry. If I could send you my tank I would. So frustrating to feel like I can't do anything.

If you think it's a fungus, what about Fluconozol? We use it for algae, but I believe it's actually a fungicide.

Tell you as soon as I figure out where I stashed the rest of the meds after bryopsis...

though this did persevere even even after the algae was gone. 

I'm sorry you are going through this again.

Maria, is the air freshener coming in through the vents or from around the doorframe? If the door frame: an easy solution is to install back draft fire protectors. They are basically rubber strips that come on an aluminum channel that are screwed on the door. 

If it is coming in through the vents, is it possible to block the vents - maybe get a window airconditioner?

Maybe a hepa filter might help? What if the brother put those window fans in his room to blow the air freshener and the other smells out of his room rather than try to cover it up?

• Like 2
On 5/18/2017 at 9:10 PM, metrokat said:

I'm sorry you are going through this again.

Maria, is the air freshener coming in through the vents or from around the doorframe? If the door frame: an easy solution is to install back draft fire protectors. They are basically rubber strips that come on an aluminum channel that are screwed on the door. 

If it is coming in through the vents, is it possible to block the vents - maybe get a window airconditioner?

Maybe a hepa filter might help? What if the brother put those window fans in his room to blow the air freshener and the other smells out of his room rather than try to cover it up?

I'll live! :D 

The house has vents in every room, and my door is about 1" or 1.5" off the floor. I have a window AC unit for when the rest of the house isn't running the AC, but I also have two vents in my room for the central air. I can close the incoming one so house air doesn't push into my room, but I can't close the vacuum one - it'll pull air from my room, and house air will come in from whatever nook or cranny it can. The attic connects to my closet, so that may happen if I block the door.

I'm going to look into an air filter, but I'm confident that this'll run its course (like a biblical plague, but still) and the tank will stabilize after. Right now I'm using Dr Tim's Waste Away, Microbe Lift, Microbacter. Considering a few Prodibio vials as well, but who knows. Did more basting this morning and replaced the filter floss twice (yikes), I have Purigen in there after last night along with the ROX 0.8 carbon. I still see worms (including a hair worm living in the skeleton of the rose coral that didn't survive shipping and a feather duster next to a cucumber), and the algae are still doing their thing, so we'll see.

And I'll see what I can do about getting the brother to change up his routine, but I'm much less confident in that :P  

So this is the ugly close-up. There's a teeny feather duster towards the center, let me know if you can spot the cucumber who's still responsive but whose end is covered in this slime, etc:

jzBLws1.jpg

• Like 1

This tiny patch of red macro? I love that @lkoechle and @skoechle don't have to look nearly as hard for signs of life :P  

And yes, that's sargassum in the foreground! 

ibmF0Oi.png

Just now, holy carp said:

It looks like something from aliens.  Soon they'll be hatching out of there...:scarry:

I saw the private premier of Covenent in Regal on Wednesday.. Terrifying.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, William said:

I think it is bacterial, have you tried increasing the pO2 of the water? 

Hmm.. Are you thinking anaerobic?

3 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Hmm.. Are you thinking anaerobic?

It's possible, I would throw an air stone in the back Ans see what effect it has 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, William said:

It's possible, I would throw an air stone in the back Ans see what effect it has 

Well, gonna try that out as soon as I'm home! The bacteria did hang on even with a PLS-50 running in the Fusion 20, but.. who knows!

30 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

This tiny patch of red macro? I love that @lkoechle and @skoechle don't have to look nearly as hard for signs of life :P  

ibmF0Oi.png

lol 

The alien movies are my FAVE. So it was really good? Because I dont want to waste a date night on it if it wasnt.

1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

lol 

The alien movies are my FAVE. So it was really good? Because I dont want to waste a date night on it if it wasnt.

It was good! I think if you enjoyed Prometheus it should be good. But I haven't seen any of the other movies.. :P  

• Like 1

Dang sorry to see the tank that way.

I don't feel so bad now about diatoms :lol: that snot looking stuff looks even worse.........

• Like 1
Just now, spectra said:

Dang sorry to see the tank that way.

I don't feel so bad now about diatoms :lol: that snot looking stuff looks even worse.........

This is why I'm asking for a Struggle Bus category for prizes :P  

I hope it's over before the hundred days are up, though, sheesh

Good luck with diatoms!

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

This is why I'm asking for a Struggle Bus category for prizes :P  

I hope it's over before the hundred days are up, though, sheesh

Good luck with diatoms!

Yep its that new tank syndrome.........wish I had a little more fully cured rock but oh well its part of the hobby I guess.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mariaface said:

Well, gonna try that out as soon as I'm home! The bacteria did hang on even with a PLS-50 running in the Fusion 20, but.. who knows!

I'm getting so many micro bubbles in my tank. Are you not getting them? 

8 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

From the skimmer? I was, but I put filter floss between the skimmer and the side of the chamber that empties into the return section. Extra mechanical filtration, yay!

Oh ok. That's a good idea. 

So if you removed it for a short period of time you'd get more O2 in the  tank to see if that helps with your situation. Or just throw an air stone in like you planned. 

Just remember - this too shall pass. Hang in there! 

2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Oh ok. That's a good idea. 

So if you removed it for a short period of time you'd get more O2 in the  tank to see if that helps with your situation. Or just throw an air stone in like you planned. 

Just remember - this too shall pass. Hang in there! 

Oh these are two separate tanks! The PLS-50 is in the Fusion 20. This is the 14p, no skimmer. I was just commenting that the skimmer was running in the Fusion 20 when the bacterial issues were happening. That tank has gotten over it now :) 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mariaface said:

It was good! I think if you enjoyed Prometheus it should be good. But I haven't seen any of the other movies.. :P  

I actually hate prometheus. lol  I refuse to believe its a prequel so hard I forgot it existed until you reminded me...

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Mariaface said:

ibmF0Oi.png

Yay sargassum! :lol:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Your skimmer should stop putting out microbubbles once it is broken in. 

coralcousins
1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

I actually hate prometheus. lol  I refuse to believe its a prequel so hard I forgot it existed until you reminded me...

What ?! Prometheus was really good. I kinda like what Ridley Scott is doing. But I think it's time to retire the Alien and keep the robot/Android thing going.

• Like 1