ReefCleaners.org

Mariaface's Contest Tank?!

Mariaface

10 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

:P Fine! I can share, unlike some people who will not be named...

Basically I chose the lightest rock in the tank and threaded fishing line through it twice, then hung it off the light. In the photo it was hanging off of the heat sink itself, but I've moved it over to the filtration side where it's hanging off of the arm. That should minimize any risk of the nylon hitting 350F or anything close to that melting temperature. If I can put my hands on the light, I should be good!

It's low in the water right now, but I may play with height once I have the rest of the rocks in order :) 

It's like those floating islands in avatar!

• Like 5

I'm not sure how 'smart' a UFO is if no snails will be able to reach it for cleanup, but if I can get something to encrust over it... :ninja:

Or I can move it against the back wall like a real mag rock, or have it hovering a couple of inches away to create space for fish to swim, or hang the barnacle cluster off the underside... This is full of possibilities! :D 

• Like 5

You going to create the hallelujah mountains?  (thr floating mountain range in avatar)

DUDE that would be badass if you got GSP to cover them all!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mariaface said:

:P Fine! I can share, unlike some people who will not be named...

Basically I chose the lightest rock in the tank and threaded fishing line through it twice, then hung it off the light. In the photo it was hanging off of the heat sink itself, but I've moved it over to the filtration side where it's hanging off of the arm. That should minimize any risk of the nylon hitting 350F or anything close to that melting temperature. If I can put my hands on the light, I should be good!

It's low in the water right now, but I may play with height once I have the rest of the rocks in order :) 

I thought it looked like it was floating!  Like a rocky cloud!  Then I got distracted by the video of the live thing lol.

• Like 2

Nothing is more frustrating than coming home at nearly midnight to find this. On everything. I can't even begin to describe the awful smell coming from this tank right now, guys. This stuff is following me, and I can't really compete until it's burned through all the fuel being generated on these rocks. I'm so glad the Fusion 20 is over this problem..

XsaJ6xO.jpg

Hopefully I can clean it up well enough to post a FTS when I get home today! Fingers crossed!

1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

Nothing is more frustrating than coming home at nearly midnight to find this. On everything. I can't even begin to describe the awful smell coming from this tank right now, guys. This stuff is following me, and I can't really compete until it's burned through all the fuel being generated on these rocks. I'm so glad the Fusion 20 is over this problem..

XsaJ6xO.jpg

Hopefully I can clean it up well enough to post a FTS when I get home today! Fingers crossed!

Ugh! I am so sorry :(  How frustrating!

I put my mantis proof lid on last night and was paranood of somehow waking up to something similar even though it doesnt touch the water.

Still no idea what product is causing it?

2 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Ugh! I am so sorry :(  How frustrating!

I put my mantis proof lid on last night and was paranood of somehow waking up to something similar even though it doesnt touch the water.

Still no idea what product is causing it?

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Oh I hope it cleans up for you. Do you have to treat it or scrub it OR both. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Awwwwwwwwwww that sucks!

23 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Oh no!  I hope it goes away quickly. 

It does suck! A lot! I'm decently sure it's being caused by whatever air freshener my brother's been using across the hallway, and I really can't get him to stop. But since the Fusion 20 has been able to find a balance after, I'm hoping this tank will as well. :) Where's my struggle bus medal? @Pjanssen and I can compete for it :P 

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

It does suck! A lot! I'm decently sure it's being caused by whatever air freshener my brother's been using across the hallway, and I really can't get him to stop. But since the Fusion 20 has been able to find a balance after, I'm hoping this tank will as well. :) Where's my struggle bus medal? @Pjanssen and I can compete for it :P 

Maybe you can make up a conversation about how, if it's doing this to your tank, what is it doing to the inside of his lungs? :P

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Maybe you can make up a conversation about how, if it's doing this to your tank, what is it doing to the inside of his lungs? :P

"This is your lung" (show Fusion 20)  "This is your lung with air freshener" (show contest tank) :P

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

He's using it to cover up the smell of the other stuff doing damage to his lungs! :P  

17 minutes ago, holy carp said:

What is that white stuff?  Dead tissue from something, or is the white stuff growing over other things?

It's white and growing over other things. It basically makes a mat over an organism or decaying matter (the rocks didn't ship in water OR overnight so there's likely lots), then creates an acidic environment within the mat, the organism dies/decays, and it gets food. It's.. not fun.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

"This is your lung" (show Fusion 20)  "This is your lung with air freshener" (show contest tank) :P

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

He's using it to cover up the smell of the other stuff doing damage to his lungs! :P  

It's white and growing over other things. It basically makes a mat over an organism or decaying matter (the rocks didn't ship in water OR overnight so there's likely lots), then creates an acidic environment within the mat, the organism dies/decays, and it gets food. It's.. not fun.

Oh, lawd lol.  Well he should be aware that certain activities can affect your ability to get a job lol.

Somewhat related, but I recently saw something where someone was wondering if it was ok to smoke pot while handling their hedgehog, and would it get the hedgie high. :unsure:  :mellow:

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, holy carp said:

Yuck.  Put the rock in a bucket of tank water and blast that crap off.  

Oh I have. Multiple times. :( It's basically going to pass when it passes..

12 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh, lawd lol.  Well he should be aware that certain activities can affect your ability to get a job lol.

Somewhat related, but I recently saw something where someone was wondering if it was ok to smoke pot while handling their hedgehog, and would it get the hedgie high. :unsure:  :mellow:

He's aware! He's still in college, so I don't think he's too concerned about it at the moment.. 

Also, that's awful. :unsure: Poor unsuspecting pets.. Especially the ones with strong allergic reactions to that sort of stuff..

• Like 3

What about running tons of carbon to help try to deplete the chemicals causing the fungus? I think you'll have to change it out frequently though - like once a week. Or what about running an air purifier in your room? 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, stellablue said:

What about running tons of carbon to help try to deplete the chemicals causing the fungus? I think you'll have to change it out frequently though - like once a week. Or what about running an air purifier in your room? 

Don't judge me: there are two Chemi-Pure Blue Nano packets in there, along with what may actually be a quadruple dose of ROX .8 carbon. I didn't add all of it at once - ramped it up over the past week. When they were in the buckets, there were two CP Blue nano packets inside (refreshed when I did the bucket transfer for a 100% water change).

It almost stalled growth for about a day, along with my adding phosphate-E, but it's back to rampant. Last night I could still see worms moving about and what might be a tiny sea cucumber slowly poking out of a rock, so some things are still alive. Just like mobile creatures were fine in the 20 while sessile animals were SOL if they didn't have some really strong defenses. Cactus coral frag is almost done healing over the STN spots, actually.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Oh I have. Multiple times. :( It's basically going to pass when it passes..

He's aware! He's still in college, so I don't think he's too concerned about it at the moment.. 

Also, that's awful. :unsure: Poor unsuspecting pets.. Especially the ones with strong allergic reactions to that sort of stuff..

:rolleyes: Crazy kid lol.  I'm on a professional forum for my field of work and there are people who pour blood sweat and tears into training for several years...only to blow it with a positive drug screen from a pastime they weren't willing to give up.  Such a shame.

And yeah, that post made me side-eye big time.  You wanna smoke?  Smoke where it doesn't risk affecting innocent parties.  I'd say if you wouldn't do it around a baby, don't do it around a pet but I know some people would have no problem with either so...

All that to say, I'm sorry he's being inconsiderate and costing you livestock.  Maybe you should send him a bill. :lol:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

:rolleyes: Crazy kid lol.  I'm on a professional forum for my field of work and there are people who pour blood sweat and tears into training for several years...only to blow it with a positive drug screen from a pastime they weren't willing to give up.  Such a shame.

And yeah, that post made me side-eye big time.  You wanna smoke?  Smoke where it doesn't risk affecting innocent parties.  I'd say if you wouldn't do it around a baby, don't do it around a pet but I know some people would have no problem with either so...

All that to say, I'm sorry he's being inconsiderate and costing you livestock.  Maybe you should send him a bill. :lol:

Who knows, maybe I'll have two Super Tanks once it's all said and done! :P But yeah, in the meantime it's pretty darn frustrating. Still not giving up!

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Who knows, maybe I'll have two Super Tanks once it's all said and done! :P But yeah, in the meantime it's pretty darn frustrating. Still not giving up!

That's the spirit!  It'll be easier once he moves out or you get your own place (whichever comes first), for sure.

• Like 1