inTank Media Baskets

Mariaface's Contest Tank?!

Mariaface

4 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Come to think of it, my QT had a white slime out break.  I think it was plastics in the hidey holes that caused it.  But I never was able to figure out what caused it :-/  No aerosols in my house either.  You have me nervous about the badge since I don't have an ammonia test kit except the badge. lol  But my badges have always worked... and so far everything's still alive. so... I guess its working for me.  I figure if it isn't, the porcelain crabs and Mr Cling would be dead by now...

Oh I should clarify - the badge is showing nothing because the slime is more than happily taking advantage of any free ammonia in the tank :P I've got prime in there, and the halimedia is starting to bud new sections, so it should start to turn around, right? Plus some BA Phosphate-E while I'm at it, and polyfilter floss..

2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Whats on top of the tank?

Uhhh. Oops. :blush: Needlework plastic. I used it on my betta tank at work so the little guy wouldn't jump out, and I have it on here because I was checking to make sure it would sit on top - just in case I got my planned fish any time soon and didn't have time to go to home depot for a window screen frame kit :P The thin mesh is sitting in my closet 

8 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

That's your view from the bed?  Niiiiiiiice.  Nice nano planted too.

Thanks!! :) 

15 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Oh I should clarify - the badge is showing nothing because the slime is more than happily taking advantage of any free ammonia in the tank :P I've got prime in there, and the halimedia is starting to bud new sections, so it should start to turn around, right? Plus some BA Phosphate-E while I'm at it, and polyfilter floss..

Well, if it makes you feel better, I'm googling for you. lol  So far all I hear is "crappy new tank cycle, too much nutrients, yada yada yada"   and I'm going through your old threads, so forgive me if I say anything you've already tried.

Have you tried Purigen?

Also, I had thought when this happened to me, the culprit could've been my mixing bucket.  But I don't know, because I always used the same bucket.  I couldn't figure it out and eventually it passed once I was able to stop copper treatment and run purigen and carbon.

Edit to add: One RC thread says the salt may be the culprit.  Have you changed salts at all since this has happened in both your tanks?

5 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Well, if it makes you feel better, I'm googling for you. lol  So far all I hear is "crappy new tank cycle, too much nutrients, yada yada yada"   and I'm going through your old threads, so forgive me if I say anything you've already tried.

Have you tried Purigen?

Also, I had thought when this happened to me, the culprit could've been my mixing bucket.  But I don't know, because I always used the same bucket.  I couldn't figure it out and eventually it passed once I was able to stop copper treatment and run purigen and carbon.

Edit to add: One RC thread says the salt may be the culprit.  Have you changed salts at all since this has happened in both your tanks?

It's a bacteria that comes in with the VOCs in aerosols, household cleaners, etc. It basically takes advantage of the excess carbon/organics, creates a layer/mat over an organism, and creates an acidic environment inside the mat that melts the organism and uses it for more nutrients. The fusion 20 is over it (pavona coral frag is growing back in the crevices that STNed, iron man coral at least isn't STNing anymore, coralline is going strong, a couple of straggler zoas are fluorescing). And I had to constantly replace carbon, replace marine pure with the alkaline-buffered BA biological export plate (or a piece) to offset some of the acidity, strong skimming (PLS-50), constantly adding Dr Tim's Waste Away and microbacter, basting, replacing filter floss, etc.

I was using Aquavitro salinity when it started (towards the end of the bucket), and switched over to Red Sea blue bucket when I moved the tank - though it didn't immediately stop, or even immediately get better, when I switched.

1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

It's a bacteria that comes in with the VOCs in aerosols, household cleaners, etc. It basically takes advantage of the excess carbon/organics, creates a layer/mat over an organism, and creates an acidic environment inside the mat that melts the organism and uses it for more nutrients. The fusion 20 is over it (pavona coral frag is growing back in the crevices that STNed, iron man coral at least isn't STNing anymore, coralline is going strong, a couple of straggler zoas are fluorescing). And I had to constantly replace carbon, replace marine pure with the alkaline-buffered BA biological export plate (or a piece) to offset some of the acidity, strong skimming (PLS-50), constantly adding Dr Tim's Waste Away and microbacter, basting, replacing filter floss, etc.

I was using Aquavitro salinity when it started (towards the end of the bucket), and switched over to Red Sea blue bucket when I moved the tank - though it didn't immediately stop, or even immediately get better, when I switched.

Is it the snotty mucousy stuff?  Whatever was in mine grew back within hours of cleaning.  I would take everything apart and it would look like I hadn't touch the tank in years...

5 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

It's a bacteria that comes in with the VOCs in aerosols, household cleaners, etc.

Well guess I am lucky then :lol: house is a disaster.............

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Is it the snotty mucousy stuff?  Whatever was in mine grew back within hours of cleaning.  I would take everything apart and it would look like I hadn't touch the tank in years...

It's not even that mucousy - it looks like a solid white mat wherever it manages to get a grip, but then it blows apart into white 'snot' looking stuff when basted. Doesn't wave in the current like some people's photos..

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

It's not even that mucousy - it looks like a solid white mat wherever it manages to get a grip, but then it blows apart into white 'snot' looking stuff when basted. Doesn't wave in the current like some people's photos..

that doesn't sound like what mine was. You couldn't budge it with basting. only physical removal and it would clog up my pumps.

17 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

that doesn't sound like what mine was. You couldn't budge it with basting. only physical removal and it would clog up my pumps.

Freaky! I have to baste pretty hard for mine, but it does lift off and get caught in mechanical filtration.

• Like 1
Just now, Mariaface said:

Freaky! I have to baste pretty hard for mine, but it does lift off and get caught in mechanical filtration.

well thats good at least.  I missed a day of cleaning it off (I had to clean every day) and it clogged the intake for the HOB. o.O  It was horrible.  I hated all things reef so much.

Ahem.

It's not a mag rock. :blush:

9 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

woah! i want an oyster!

And the mag rock.  howd you make the mag rock?

29 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

love the mag rock.

57 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Cool! I like the mag rock too! 

6 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Then you MUST divulge more information!

:P Fine! I can share, unlike some people who will not be named...

Basically I chose the lightest rock in the tank and threaded fishing line through it twice, then hung it off the light. In the photo it was hanging off of the heat sink itself, but I've moved it over to the filtration side where it's hanging off of the arm. That should minimize any risk of the nylon hitting 350F or anything close to that melting temperature. If I can put my hands on the light, I should be good!

It's low in the water right now, but I may play with height once I have the rest of the rocks in order :) 

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Basically I chose the lightest rock in the tank and threaded fishing line through it twice, then hung it off the light.

Going back and looking at it again... it does look like it's floating in the tank like  UFO. :lol:

But fishing line... that's kinda smart. Surely more affordable than a mag rock! 

• Like 5