Cultivated Reef

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

1 hour ago, Astinus said:

They look awesome Dawn!:wub:

Ahh thanks Astinus, they are looking pretty good.  I can't wait until I get back from San Fran (the first week of April) to order 2 more.  Stay tuned!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

I cannot believe how absolutely beautiful this is. 

Really. 

How do you keep it so clean?

Seahorse tanks are usually MORE difficult to keep clean!!

I worked for lfs doing aquarium maintenance and tech so I was taught to be a little anal anyway about keeping the glass super clean and unscratched.  This tank is my first bb which helps because my powerhead blasts the floor which helps with detritus.  Also its much easier because I can use the magnet scrapper in between doing a thorough job on the sides and back of the tank.   I imagine the 20-25% WCs every week along with a honkin' skimmer help keep nutrients down along with all the macros in the DT and the sump.

• Like 4

Not much to report on the seahorse garden.  Eve and Ruth are doing great.  The tank looks reasonably clean even though its been a week since I did anything with the glass.  I guess between the WCs, the skimmer, and the macro algaes most of the nutrients are being taken up so there is not much to fuel film algae.  That and my lights are usually pushed back from the front glass.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, vlangel said:

My little girls enjoying a meal together!

The larger one looks disinterested in the food. Is she on a weight loss kick?

Tank still looks gorgeous. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Glad to hear everyone is healthy! Think you'll get more ponies soon?

Ruth's white spot at her anal fin is shrinking.  That leads me to believe that it was a skin wound but that it is healing.  Whew!  I guess I dodge a bullet because I did not even treat her.  With her being a pinto, knowing what is skin irregularities is tougher to determine.  

I will order the 2 new ponies as soon as I get back from visiting my other son and family in San Franscisco.

• Like 4
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

The larger one looks disinterested in the food. Is she on a weight loss kick?

Tank still looks gorgeous. 

Ha ha, this was her 2nd meal today and she cleaned up the first time.  She is a little chunk but I like seeing her plump.  Seahorses can get so skinny fast that I figure she can have a few extra (whatever the measurement seahorses weigh in on!).

• Like 3
13 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Chubby seahorses. :wub:

Chubby seahorses are the best.

After I did my WC this morning I decided to see if my amphipod culture still had pods.  Shame on me but I have neglected it terribly lately and haven't even been feeding them.  Much to my surprise it looks pretty good.  So I did a WC and fed them plus harvested 10-15 for the seahorse display.  Poor pods don't have a prayer in the white bb display but it makes the ponies happy.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Chubby seahorses are the best.

After I did my WC this morning I decided to see if my amphipod culture still had pods.  Shame on me but I have neglected it terribly lately and haven't even been feeding them.  Much to my surprise it looks pretty good.  So I did a WC and fed them plus harvested 10-15 for the seahorse display.  Poor pods don't have a prayer in the white bb display but it makes the ponies happy.

That's great!!! 

What is your amphipod culture setup?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

That's great!!! 

What is your amphipod culture setup?

All it is, is a 5.5 gallon tank with a cheap HOB filter, extra LR, and macro algaes, mostly cheato, gracilaria and a little feather caulerpa and a cheap LED with only blue.

When I want to harvest, I grab a handful of macros and shake in a bucket with 1 and half inch of saltwater.  Then I use a turkey baster and suck each pod up individually and when finished pour the saltwater back into culture tank.

My culture tank sits below my sump in the basement so when I am doing a WC on the seahorses I can use some of that for the pod culture.  Recycling, ha ha!

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

All it is, is a 5.5 gallon tank with a cheap HOB filter, extra LR, and macro algaes, mostly cheato, gracilaria and a little feather caulerpa and a cheap LED with only blue.

When I want to harvest, I grab a handful of macros and shake in a bucket with 1 and half inch of saltwater.  Then I use a turkey baster and suck each pod up individually and when finished pour the saltwater back into culture tank.

My culture tank sits below my sump in the basement so when I am doing a WC on the seahorses I can use some of that for the pod culture.  Recycling, ha ha!

Is it the same tank the ghost shrimp are in? Also, how are the pipefish doing?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Is it the same tank the ghost shrimp are in? Also, how are the pipefish doing?

No, I have two 5.5 gallon tanks.  The pod culture is in the basement and the feeder shrimp tank is in the cabinet of the SH tank.

Sadly when I added my previous shipment of shrimp I had insuffient gas exchange and everything died, pipefish included.  I have since remedied that.

Nano sapiens
On 3/13/2017 at 3:27 PM, vlangel said:

My little girls enjoying a meal together!

Very nice!  They are so dang slow, though :)  It's like, "Yum, there's a tasty morsel...oh, shucks it got away...oh well..."

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

No, I have two 5.5 gallon tanks.  The pod culture is in the basement and the feeder shrimp tank is in the cabinet of the SH tank.

Sadly when I added my previous shipment of shrimp I had insuffient gas exchange and everything died, pipefish included.  I have since remedied that.

Oh my! Sorry to hear that. The little gobies are doing well. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nano sapiens said:

Very nice!  They are so dang slow, though :)  It's like, "Yum, there's a tasty morsel...oh, shucks it got away...oh well..."

Oh you have no idea!  It can be so frustrating watching them as their head goes up and their eyes fix on a nice fat mysis and they stretch out but just too slow to snick it.  Uhgggg!  The bioload is bad enough when they eat mysis but then they just let it drift away.  Ha ha, it's just the way ponies are.  Ya gotta love em!

43 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Oh my! Sorry to hear that. The little gobies are doing well. :)

I am so glad that you have the gobies and are giving them a good home. :-)

Well I am pondering and contemplating on making my WCs even easier.  A cold water line runs right above my basement sump.  If I used a saddle valve to run a small pressurized line to my RO/DI unit, then I could fill my brute cans in my fishroom at the sump.  The problem is the line going into my RO/DI unit is ID 3/16th and all the saddle valve kits seem to be for 1/4th.  Anybody know where to get one with ID 3/16th?

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

I looked around the interwebs and can't seem to find one. I'd go to Pfeifer Hardware in downtown Mars (close to where I live). Family-run business and they've got a bunch of stuff there. Ed will probably have an idea about what to do. Here's the address:

300 Marshall Way, Mars, PA 16046

• Like 1
6 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

I looked around the interwebs and can't seem to find one. I'd go to Pfeifer Hardware in downtown Mars (close to where I live). Family-run business and they've got a bunch of stuff there. Ed will probably have an idea about what to do. Here's the address:

300 Marshall Way, Mars, PA 16046

Thats an idea Nick, I may stop in there.