Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

Yesterday was my birthday and Dave wants to buy me 2 more ponies.  I would love to have them right away but with the whole QT process taking 2 weeks or so with seahorses and me going to my granddaughter's meet and greet shower on March 4th, I need to hold off.  Now we are going to visit our other son's family in San Francisco at the end of March, which is very cool but do I hold off until April for my ponies?  Decisions, decisions!

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

Tough choice! It sounds like you'd be worried about them if you don't wait until April. We're nearly though February though, it'll be April in no time :D 

Plus, by April the weather should be a bit more mild, less stress during transport?

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Tough choice! It sounds like you'd be worried about them if you don't wait until April. We're nearly though February though, it'll be April in no time :D 

Plus, by April the weather should be a bit more mild, less stress during transport?

I agree w/ Chris.  I know u would worry about them.  April is a better idea, as Warmer weather is certainly on the rise :)

Think SPRING!!!! :wub:

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Yesterday was my birthday and Dave wants to buy me 2 more ponies.  I would love to have them right away but with the whole QT process taking 2 weeks or so with seahorses and me going to my granddaughter's meet and greet shower on March 4th, I need to hold off.  Now we are going to visit our other son's family in San Francisco at the end of March, which is very cool but do I hold off until April for my ponies?  Decisions, decisions!

Keep us posted, please!

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

You are absolutely right Chris.  I was feeling bad for Dave because he has been wanting me to order these ponies for a month.  I talked with him today about it and I said, " you know hon, I need to wait until we get back from San Fran before I order my ponies!"  He said, "I know."  I will order the day after I get home if its not blizzarding."

• Like 1

I can not be sure but I noticed yesterday that Ruth had a white patch near her anal fin.  I was afraid she might have a wound that was infected.  It was not tender at all because she pressed it against her food bowl while eating. Today I looked at the white patch with a magnifying glass and I think Ruth may be developing a pouch!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I can not be sure but I noticed yesterday that Ruth had a white patch near her anal fin.  I was afraid she might have a wound that was infected.  It was not tender at all because she pressed it against her food bowl while eating. Today I looked at the white patch with a magnifying glass and I think Ruth may be developing a pouch!

:huh: ?

Hope she is/will be okay! :blink:

Its very windy here in western PA today.  The electricity has flickered on and off a couple of times.  I worry that the surges could fry the aquarium equipment, especially the aqualifter which primes the overflow.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Its very windy here in western PA today.  The electricity has flickered on and off a couple of times.  I worry that the surges could fry the aquarium equipment, especially the aqualifter which primes the overflow.

Good luck! The good news is the aqualifter is a solid-state device with old school magnets and coils. Anything that would fry that will probably take out your entire house :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Good luck! The good news is the aqualifter is a solid-state device with old school magnets and coils. Anything that would fry that will probably take out your entire house :)

I had an aqualifter get fried years ago by a power surge.  Now I replace them every other year because they are cheap.

Christopher Marks

Yikes! You probably have everything plugged into a good surge protector though, right? One thing I never realized was that surge protectors need to be replaced every year or two or they may stop offering protection, especially if your house experiences small surges frequently. Interesting article about it: https://www.howtogeek.com/212375/why-and-when-you-need-to-replace-your-surge-protector/ 

• Like 3
jedimasterben
16 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Yikes! You probably have everything plugged into a good surge protector though, right? One thing I never realized was that surge protectors need to be replaced every year or two or they may stop offering protection, especially if your house experiences small surges frequently. Interesting article about it: https://www.howtogeek.com/212375/why-and-when-you-need-to-replace-your-surge-protector/ 

SO MUCH THIS. I have tried drilling this home at work, some of our computer labs are daisy chained together using 8-10 year old power strips.... but when it hits the fan, I'll be able to tell them I warned them :)

• Like 2
On 2/18/2017 at 6:20 PM, vlangel said:

You are absolutely right Chris.  I was feeling bad for Dave because he has been wanting me to order these ponies for a month.  I talked with him today about it and I said, " you know hon, I need to wait until we get back from San Fran before I order my ponies!"  He said, "I know."  I will order the day after I get home if its not blizzarding."

1st lesson I ever learned about reef tanks....nothing good ever happens fast.  

Of course, having a kalkwasser reactor malfunction and shoot your pH through the roof...that DOES happen fast! :)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I do have pretty good surge protectors, although I did not know that they had such a short time period of being effective.

Things have quieted down this evening so the worst is over for now.

2 hours ago, cloakerpoked said:

1st lesson I ever learned about reef tanks....nothing good ever happens fast.  

Of course, having a kalkwasser reactor malfunction and shoot your pH through the roof...that DOES happen fast! :)

Yes, I remember the 'fast' kalkwasser reactor malfunction!  

RIP Sebastian

Dawn, I know this is weird, but I had a dream the other night that you got two new ponies. :wacko: Weird, huh? The dream, not you getting more ponies.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Dawn, I know this is weird, but I had a dream the other night that you got two new ponies. :wacko: Weird, huh? The dream, not you getting more ponies.

Anyway, Nick, I bet ponies are silently and secretly taking over your mind and heart!  Someday you are doomed to have ponies, ha ha! JK

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Anyway, Nick, I bet ponies are silently and secretly taking over your mind and heart!  Someday you are doomed to have ponies, ha ha! JK

I wouldn't be surprised!:P

• Like 1

The ponies were pretty active tonight swimming around.  Ruth is definitely not injured.  The jury is still out on whether she is turning into a Reuben or Rudy!

• Like 4