Innovative Marine Aquariums

My fish got a new home!

Tigahboy

Tigah do you ever notice pods coming from your sump. I was wondering if getting a bigger sump and filling it with LR would make a mandarin goby a possiblity.

I have TONS of pods...mostly amphipods. It's kind of ridiculous. Since I have nothing to keep the population in check, some have grown to gigantic proportions.

I get really wary tho since I see them on my zoo's. Recently, I bought some zoo's w/ dead polyps on it, and they did a SUPER fast job of eating the dead polyps CLEAN to the rock...like almost overnight. But they then started to nibble at the base of my healthy live polyps as well. I got really nervous that they would eat those guys too by accident. I'm not positive if they have, since that frag had a lot of polyps and growing fast, but still suspicious.

I've never kept a Mandarin, but I've heard that they need TONS of pods constantly. I don't know exactly what constitutes sufficient pods for mandarins...all I know is my refugium is teaming with them and my main display as a result has tons as well.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you say you have tons... if you look at the bottom of your front glass right now do you see pods crawling around everywhere. I'm just trying to compare my pod pop to others, not quite sure how large mine is in comparison, hahahaha. seriously though...

I think I need to add some more LR to my tank to up my pod production. I don't think any of the fish I have right now eat a lot of pods.

pair clowns

yellow clown goby

blue chromis

purple firefish

Haha...bottom front glass right...as in on my sand? I usually don't see them running around my sand a lot. Mostly on my rocks. I just checked with my flashlight at the bottom front right rock at a square area of 2inches, and I saw at least 4 enormous pods scurrying away and I couldn't see clearly the small ones. Since my lights are off.

How many more fish you going to add? You have 5 already, rite? I'm always paranoid about overstocking...I sometimes give away my fish to LFS since I'm worried that I'm over the limit. I now have 1 tiny perc and a hi fin red banded goby.

Dude...you just read my mind. before I read your post, I was posting this thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=43016

Both my firefish are in fishy heaven. =/

The first firefish, I simply can't find him. Has been missing for 2-3 weeks now.

Last one, I found him wedged between my return pipe and baffle box (just a ghetto guppy breeder)...he was sufficiently squished and didn't make it.

I was thinking one more. I wouldn't be worried about putting 5 small reef fish in your tank wither. We have the same tank basically(hahaha I have 10 more gallons) and same sump(20 g right?) As long as the fish you choose occupy different areas you'll be fine. 5 fish isn't a large bioload on an essentially 50 galllon tank.

Blue chromis stay on top level

gobys at bottom

firefish middle level

and the clowns go no where, and I mean no where besides their anemone.

Not sure about this but look up info on 1 red and 1 purple in the same tank.

I have to go with purple. I had a red one in my last tank but my bicolor pseudo made a meal of him. Anyways, maybe it's b/c up here the purple ones are 2x price, but i really like the purple a lot more.

They are absolutely beautiful fish.

I got a very small one a week or so ago for 18.99 good deal round these parts. Ill post a pic of him so hang tight Tigah

Some say 6 and 4-line are fine so long as you add them last...but others also say they are semi-aggressive, but I don't know whether they put them in last or earlier. I definitely want to add him last tho in any case. and if he's punking everybody around, I may have to do another fish giveaway. But if you want a mandarin, better not get a wrasse since they will eat your pods too...DUDE, this is like IM, but much slower and forces everyone else to read this convo..haha...PM me your IM sn, dude.

Originally posted by Cesar

Nah tigahboy dont change it. I guess you could add some more LR like to fill the corners, but it looks great. Man this makes me want to set up my 60 Gallon already.

Hehe...so set it up already!

Updated full tank shot...the new aquascaping is starting to slowly grow on me...but still not fully satisfied.

1101full.jpg

I'm sure things will be better when I add more LR to the left. I hope.

What the hell are you doing up at 2 in the morning! J/k Anyway, love the progression on the tank bro. Looking good. See ya on the Fragpacks site.:D

Originally posted by bowfront26

post a close up pic of that candy cane

I need to take an updated pic of the trumpet/candy cane... But for now, i'll just post this pic again taken over a month ago.

It has grown a lot since and many of the heads have split into 2 and are starting to branch.

mtrumpet.jpg

I'm starting to like my new rockwork now...just took some time to grow on me. I like this little cove, and it especially helps that my tiny blue shrooms are growing fast now and coloring up quite nicely.

The nice brown SPS you see at the top is finally starting to color up after moving it closer to top and leaving the top open. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Also added a purple monti w/ blue polyps (still brown) and a Cali Blue Tort frag...mostly green right now with blue at tips...hope he colors up nice too.

1103a.jpg

Got my SCWD in the mail yesterday evening...won it on ebay for $29.50. At least I saved a little on it.

Just gotta find time to get extra plumbing parts and install this baby. Can't wait to see what she can do.

scwd.jpg

Hey Tigah how's it going. By the way dude you didn't chop up any of your LR did you? Im thinking of doing that myself. I have pretty big rocks in my tank and I need to spread them out a bit.

Tigah, I think I saw a clam in your tank. If I did, how is it going. How do you keep the calcium up, a 2 part solution or what?

Archived