Cultivated Reef

My fish got a new home!

Tigahboy

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have those same rics! :)

i paid $8 per head for mine when liveaquaria had their special on blue florida rics :) nice grab from blowfishaquatics :)

i paid $8 per head for mine when liveaquaria had their special on blue florida rics

Funny. I actually bought the blue rics when they had em for $8 on liveaquaria too...and while yours do look awesome and the same as mine (both deep blue w/ purple undertones), the stuff I got from liveaquaria was like 1/4th the size of the rics I got in today and were extremely pale blue w/ green undertones...nothing too spectacular. unfair, man. unfair.

After months and months of failed attempts, I've finally taken at least a quasi-decent picture of my hi fin banded goby and his pistol shrimp homie.

buddy1.jpg

buddy2.jpg

Got them from LFS in Culver City awhile ago...didnt seem like anything special when I first bought em, but they've grown to be one of my favorites.

Those rics look awesome. THey look like they are about quarter size, right?

Actually most are bigger...in the pic showing the blue rics, the 3 polyp cluster surrounding the highest point on the rock (ignore the single polyp on the lower right of them) is actually 1 big polyp w/ many mouths. When it fully opens, it looks GIGANTIC!

Are you gonna try any sps peices?

I'm trying out this tiny turquoise acro frag...so far still brown with only the tip starting to color up now...this guy is my tester...if he doesn't do well, I probably won't get into SPS...not the nice high light ones at least.

Do you like the silver MH fixture to match the wall, or a black fixture to match the aquarium stand?

I would definitely stick to the silver. I think black hanging from my ceiling would be too much of a contrast and could distract ppl when first looking at my tank. The silver just blends into the background quite nicely. And silver is a tight color all around, so I'm a little biased. :

I'm new to all this and was thinking of getting a tank like yours. I was wondering if you liked it? Have any problems with scratching and does it come with a hood and lights? I like the clear top on yours and was hoping that it came with your order. Thanks!!

hey do hi-fin gobies jump? i know gobies in general are jumpers but i've always wanted to try one of those guys out... they look so cool :P

hey do hi-fin gobies jump?

Can't speak for all hi fin gobies, but mine has never even gone close to the surface to jump. I don't think they are especially high risk jumpers like some other fish.

Tigahboy, you are never going to believe this but they ran out of the Aqua Medic hoods everywhere. I was trying to get one and was told by everyone that they wouldn't be in till late December. So when I ordered mine from my LFS they decided to substitute the Aqua space light in for the same price. I can't wait till it gets here. I get a free upgrade to an electronic ballast, and less electricity use...My LFS is freaking awesome.

seashellshelly

Tigahboy-

How about a current full shot of your tank? I'm a huge fan. I think I'm wanting something similiar when I upgrade from my nano cube.

I was wondering, how are your starfish and flame scallop doing?? I'm asking because they are both so cool. What are the requirements for the flame scallop?? I recently saw one at my LFS and wondered if that is something I could keep. My daughter wants a starfish really bad but I've heard they are difficult.

Thanks

Shelly

Thanks for the kind words! Makes me feel better for spending all this money I shouldn't be spending. =/

Flame scallop and starfish are both doing well. I wish I knew what the starfish was called...but I don't...My LFS said that it was an "easier" starfish and that it stays small (no more than 1.5"). It just moves around all day looking for diatoms on the rock or glass.

Oh, and scallop does mover around a lot...and he kept bumping into things. =/ And I hear their lifespan is very short, so he probably won't last long.

Flame scallop requires target feedings via turkey baster with DT's phytoplankton...I usually supplement the DT's w/ Marine Snow or Liquid Life's BioPlankton. And I feed him while I'm feeding my clams...I feed both of them around 3 times a week...kinda of sucks though b/c it leads to algae bloom, so I have to spend more time cleaning my acrylic walls w/ algae scraper.

As to full tank shot, I've been delaying that since I've fragged a lot and sold a bunch of stuff recently (basically cuz I saw other things I wanted). And my tank looks like a mess now w/ new frags scattered around the tank floor while they get adjusted to my tank for the week or two I give them before I move them to a higher location. Second, after taking pics w/ my friends 4 megapixel, I feel like my 2 megapixel sucks. So I wanted to wait til I could borrow his camera again. But I will have full tank shot up this weekend after I move around things.

Stay tuned!

(I got another 9 for 99 ric pack from blowfish...includes an AMAZING rainbow ricordea rock that auctioned on ebay for $108 for 5 polyps, but I got 3 big polyps $11 each since it was part of a 9 for 99 pack. And I got awesome electric green rics, and a crazy powder blue w/ greenish yellow STRIPES)

I'm new to all this and was thinking of getting a tank like yours. I was wondering if you liked it? Have any problems with scratching and does it come with a hood and lights? I like the clear top on yours and was hoping that it came with your order. Thanks!!

Oops...for some reason I totally missed this question. My bad, bower23.

1. I love my acrylic! I know it scratches easily and stuff, but the clarity is amazing! I know many say that they don't see a difference, but I saw a clear difference between my acrylic and my old glass. And my friends who know nothing about tanks, the first thing they ask when they see my new tanks is: is your water cleaner or somethin? It seems crystal clear.

That's the difference in acrylic. And it's also way lighter than glass, which is a factor considering I live on 2nd floor in apt. Any extra weight makes me more paranoid.

2. Yes, the acrylic top comes w/ the tank. Well, at least it did for me. Mine is a Clear-for-Life from exoticfish.com.

3. Unfortunately, the lights do not. I think I had an option to get a Normal Output Fluorescent fixture, but I wanted metal halides, so I didn't want to pay the extra $10 or something.

4. You know, no matter what, acrylic will likely scratch. In my haste, I have accidentally put some scratches. And i had to experiment w/ different algae cleaners...I realize that just cuz it says "acrylic safe" doesnt mean it wont scratch. But I have great success w/ Kent Algae Scraper (the one w/ extended handle). It's amazing. I get all that hard to scrape algae off w/o scratches.

But, you will put some micro-scratches using some magnets and algae pads. But you will only notice the scratches if you dont have water in your tank. w/ water, you don't even notice it. unless of course, I put my face 1" away from the acrylic and look for them carefully.

Scratches are overrated. They don't take away from my viewing pleasure at all. And in the end, if you want to put in the work, you could get them out w/ the scratch removal kits they sell for acrylic.

seashellshelly

This is why I have to get a bigger tank. So many cool things I want and I don't have enough room/bioload capacity for everything!! Maybe it's better that way because I'd prob. be broke too.;)

Archived