Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My fish got a new home!

Tigahboy

after seeing your setup im almost thinking about changing my plans from a 30 cube to an acrylic tank like yours for my room whenever i move (hopefully two weeks) along with the constant decision of 75 or 125 for a little room divider. i really dig your setup because its very clean and not clustered (no powerheads all over the place) and seems to be working perfectly

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah....fresh and clean is how i like it. The diamond goby is to thank for the clean sand tho; it was covered in brown algae w/o him.

Yeah, man. A huge tank as a room divider is my dream. Unfortunately, I move from apt to apt. every year so I can't go too big w/ the tank until I settle down somewhere. So my next upgrade will most likely only be a 45-55g, super long...

I just want to do a better job w/ the plumbing this time around.

Dropped by LFS yesterday to pick up some supplies. Noticed they had a tank full of yellow clown gobies (around 15-20) and about 6 green clown gobies. The greens were only $8.99 so I felt "compelled" to buy one...actually I ended up buying two and here's a pice of one of them chilling among the heads of my trumpet coral...

92211113c.jpg

Here's my other green clown goby chilling in the elegance...my ocellaris clown pair didn't seem to mind (or have a choice)...

1115b.jpg

1115a.jpg

Ocellaris clown pair just minding their own business...

1115d.jpg

My clean-up crew consists of a Diamond Goby and my trusty kent algae scraper.

The Diamond Goby is amazing. He just gulps mouthfuls of sand non-stop and sifts them thru his gills. I had brown algae cover my entire sand bottom before adding him, and he cleared it up w/in 24 hours. Never slacks on his job.

For my tank walls, w/ my trusty Kent Algae Scraper in hand, I hunt for any tiny speck of algae on the acrylic (yes, even purple coralline) at least 3-4 times a week. Algae doesnt get out of control on the tank walls, so these scraping sessions do not take very long.

Actually I don't have much more in terms of a clean-up crew... I used to have 5 scarlet hermit crabs when I first started this tank, but I quickly ditched them after they kept knocking over my zoo frags and were very lazy.

I do have stomatella snails that came w/ my LR and reproduced...and I JUST bought a 6 snail pack from fragpacks last week and a lettuce nudi, but they don't seem to be helping me too much and are in there for primarily aesthetic reasons.

My diamond goby and I have managed to keep the tank pretty clean, so I haven't felt the need for a real clean-up crew yet... I don't think they would be as effective as my kent scraper and weekly siphoning anyway.

Oh...but I did have some bubble algae problems...and I just had to pick those off manually...I still have hair algae too even after adding lettuce nudi...not sure how I'm going to approach getting rid of that stuff yet.

Undertheradar

You still got that scallop? You know that isnt 'electric'...but they have a slim flap of skin with a white line behind it...they flash it back and forth and make that "electric flash line"...but it's just a moving flap.

Thanks for the input. I figured they weren't electric because when you turn off the lights...nothing.

I actually gave that guy away, along w/ the other 2 clams. I had a hard time keeping up with the DT's feedings...and I hated the algae bloom as a result....I'm looking for larger more light dependent clams now.

i'm trying to sell one of my clams Tiga... let me know if you'd want to buy this crocea ($40)... i'll be up LA this weekend, just PM me if you're interested :P

Finally! After months of staying at 20-40ppm, my nitrates are now down to 5ppm...Chaeto is my best friend! hahah...I can't believe I'm so excited about this...round of beers on me!

By the way tigahboy, you think I can remove my nitrates a bit if I add Chaeto in my powerfilter? See I have the penguin filter and it's a PITA to do into a fuge. Im seriously thinking of leaving that penguin in there and adding an AC300 filter and do it into a fuge.

Put the 250w 20K Ocean Light MH Pendant up today...

Boy these suckers are bright...My eyes will have to learn to handle the intensity. Here's a pic w/ the lights on for about 5 minutes.

1118a.jpg

Archived