Pod Your Reef

My fish got a new home!

Tigahboy

Originally posted by Shaz

Tigah---

the dimensions of the 50 breeder is 36 x 18 x 18 I know its not really much differance from the 40g breeder, but i felt like the 40g was a tad too "Short" for my taste, and the 2" extra height on the 50g breeder would help with that.

Hey now! who you calling "short?" I have 16" tall! haha. Naw, man. The 2" difference makes a difference. I like shorter longer tanks, just my personal preference. But practically speaking, you do want to get as big as you can afford/handle. So go w/ the 50 breeder!

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude...that sucks....on top of it? hmmm...it shouldn't be a problem if its just for a short while, rite? None of the stinging tentacles are actually touching the monti, rite? Blah...the moving thing irks me about keeping anemones. Mine is in a PERFECT spot now...and has been there since late last night....hopefully he'll stay...but unlikely. =/

Hmmm....a few of RBTA's tentacles are touching my blue stripe mushroom rock...is this going to be a serious problem? Do blue striped mushrooms have a potent sting? If I tried to move the blue striped shrooms now...there's a potential for avalanche and my RBTA may get squished...so I'm very hesitant of doing that at the moment. =/

For some reason my clowns don't like to host in elegance anymore...so I thought maybe they'd go to RBTA...but...still no sign of even recognizing it ever since it crawled into a cave and recently resurfaced to the location you see in the pic above. And now my clowns look like they are going to take over the frogspawn....

They host like everything and its mamas, why cant they just host the RBTA?? hahaha. oh well. I know it's hit or miss, so I won't expect much.

Originally posted by bowfront26

i want to get a top off system with a float switch... i keep putting it off b/c it isn't too bad right now.  I only lose about 3 cups of H2O/ day.  what is your rate of evap.?  i also keep my lights 10 " from the tank.

Hey man. Do you have a fuge/sump on your tank? I ask b/c I realized today that I lose in fact 4 times H20 as you within a 24 hour period. Maybe a little more. ??? I'm assuming b/c I have a sump/fuge tank that I just have more surface area for evaporation and the lights in the fuge are on 24-7 so this could contribute to this disparity... I dunno. What do you think?

Hey Tigah... lol! I didnt in any way mean your tank is too short for my taste I meant that the 40g breeder is, b/c it is so wide, and it seems like with how wide it is, it would be taller.

Yeah I have a 20 g sump/fuge. I don't know why but I have very little evap. Dude... my anemone decided to sit on the intake of my seio820. Yea i got f'd up. I thought it was a gonner but it looks like it will make it. I'm running a bunch of carbon to clean up the water, I believe anemones can release some toxins if they get sucked into powerheads.

My lights on the fuge are on for about 18 hrs /day

bowfront26 u better start running carbon or a canister filter just in case ur anemone decides to die on ya... i've heard very very horrible things happen when they die :P

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Tank Looks Great!!! veriety is the key to having an interesting tank... I've had the experience of having 2 bta's die in a tank one right after the other... nothing else suffered and i left the anemones in the tank for over 4 months hoping that target feeding would bring them back... but to my dismay they remaind small and white... still alive aparently they moved all over the place ... they just never regained their color or ever fully expanded... crazy ... they were like that for 4 months...!!! i think the carbon helped after they released their zoo-algea's ...

Damn...that sucks. Hope it pulls thru.

And sorry to hear about your anemone probs, Mr. Barbe and/or Hatten. haha. Thanks for the compliment! :)

RBTA status:

1. RBTA seems to have chosen its position (for now). He hasn't moved for 3-4 days now. I hope that this will be his primary location b/c it is in full view and nicely complements the rockwork in that spot.

A little worried because its tentacles are brushing against 1/2 polyps of my blue striped mushroom. =/

2. Before addition of RBTA, both ocellaris were hostin in the Elegance coral; even bringing back particles of food (which I removed since they seemed too big for the elegance)...now, black ocellaris is now just hovering above elegance, but no longer outright hostin it...my green clown goby has taken over. My orange ocellaris for some reason is now hosting hardcore the green frogspawn. Neither has paid any attention to the RBTA since it found its new spot on the rockwork.

Discouraging...but I still have hope...

I was inspired by Uchiha and FISHHEAD's Target store-bought moon lights, so I went and bought some myself. They were only $9.99 in the automotive accessories section of Target. The packaging labeled them as "Mood Lights" w/ "Bright LED Lights" and it has 3 lunar LED spotlights attached to a dashboard mounting piece. Lunar light position can be adjusted for more flexibility w/ placement.

I suck at DIY projects and don't have the motivation or time to take on such endeavors. So these very inexpensive and easy-to-install LED lights are a godsend to folks like me. =)

9221led2.jpg

I just used the adhesive tape it came w/ and stuck them directly onto my pendant. The lights are meant to be plugged into 12V lighter socket, so I just plugged into AC/DC Converter to plug into wall socket, just like Uchiha's.

Full tank shot of the lunar light's spread. Couldn't get a clear enough shot in total darkness, so here they are in semi-darkness...

9221led1.jpg

Thanks, smokez01! The credit should really go to uchiha for giving me the info on those lights! heheh. And sorry I haven't been respondin lately...I've been away from my computer everytime you IM. Any new updates on your 10g project?

nothing besides me stressing over keeping the temperature stable, i relaly should update my diary, but im feeling lazy to take shots with the camera and my goby still dosnt want to come out

Just have to say that I love your tank. Have any good fish stores that you frequent? I'm an hour's drive from most everywhere -_- but oh well... I need to pick a couple fish for this bloody 20L that sits in my room and taunts me... I have no money, but the family wants to know what I want for X-Mas... I'd love to be able to just show them the fish and coral in person... Nice job w/ all the improvements on the tank.

wow... that is one great lookin tank! I am soon starting a small experiment minibow 5 nd ur tank was inspiration! Ferget the minibow im gonna convert my 20g long cichlid tank! Im in Arcadia, CA (nex to pasadena) what are some good LFS you go to?

Kogut - thanks for the compliment! Yes, I did not purchase that frag you mentioned in the other thread. heheh.

I agree...cash is the best. I actually do most of my coral shopping online. fragpacks, blowfishaquatics, coralsandbar, aquadesignz, just to name a few. I'm too lazy to drive too far and I don't have the time. Also, I haven't seen too many LFS's in my area that carry really nice corals. But if they did, I would much rather shop at LFS than online of course so I can see them in person up close. Oh, and I got some stuff from nano-reefers/RC members/frags.org members who posted in classified/traders sections. Usually quality stuff.

g0tfish - thanks! Hearing that folks get "inspired" actually makes it all worth it!!! hehe.

I think I've noticed ppl either really dig the Long tanks like mine or dig the tall tanks...so I'm glad you 2 are in the Long-camp! *draws a line in the dirt w/ a stick* Everyone on my side of the line - long-camp...anyone who digs tall, go to other side w/ Uchiha. hahaaha. j/p, uchiha! B)

g0tfish - I used to live in Pasadena! I miss that area a lot. Lot's of great chinese food.

As for LFS's around that area, I hear ppl mention time and time again the following:

Bob's Tropical Fish - on Atlantic Blvd. off the 60 freeway.

Hacienda Aquatics - on Hacienda Blvd. in La Puente

Rare Fish - not sure where, but someplace close to Rowland/Diamond Bar area I'm assuming

99 Fish - near La Habra?? haha..just do a yp.yahoo.com search for those names and you'll find em.

Out of those 4, I've only been to Hacienda Aquatics...a huge fish selection...but honestly, I'm not positive that I'd go back. I saw 2 really cute/tiny 6-line wrasses...but looked like they weren't doing so well...and I saw 2 dead mandarin gobies. But they do have a huge selection/diversity of fish, and maybe I just went on a wrong day. And I do hear good stuff about them from others. So i dunno. I want to check out the other 3 as well...but they are all kinda far from me.

I personally go to ones out closer to West L.A. I think The Aquarium in culver city has really nice fish selection as well. I buy most of my fish from them.

I also go to Aquatic Outlet if I'm looking for inverts...they have tons of tiny shrimp, crabs, lobsters of all kinds. I bought 1 ocellaris from them too. That's about it.

Jeff's Exotic fish has a lot of stuff. They are far tho; in Gardena. The usually have the cheapest LR, tons of fish, and tons of corals. I think it's hit or miss w/ them. You just have to be lucky and go on a right day. Sometimes I see nothing I want, but other times I'll find some great corals for a very low/reasonable price. I bought my tank and stand from them, and my 2 blue mushroom rocks were from Jeff's as well ($19.99 each rock). They had like tiny (2" or less) maximas for $18.99/19.99 too!

Originally posted by smokez01

nothing besides me stressing over keeping the temperature stable, i relaly should update my diary, but im feeling lazy to take shots with the camera and my goby still dosnt want to come out

Did you try the reverse photoperiod I suggested? Most ppl that I've suggested that to think I'm weird for doing that...but it works!!!

And a hello to you too, applejax. hahah.

Simple durso-type overflow...2 1" bulkheads at water level at the back of my tank. Placed a ghetto plastic screen cover over the holes so fish won't get sucked in...I did lose a few fish that way in the beginning. There are other ways of accomplishing this, but I didn't plan enough ahead to accomdate other types of overflows. But so far this has worked out for me just fine. Next time around, I want to get an internal overflow box to more efficiently skim the surface water.

p2.jpg

p4.jpg

p6.jpg

Archived