ReefCleaners.org

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

I haven't been on in awhile, looks like things are coming along nicely!

Thanks for stopping by, Jackie, I know things have been rough for you lately :grouphug:

I always get brittle stars from Holly. She must have millions of them.

Same here on my first order - love getting new ones!

It's the little things that get us excited, isn't it? :lol:

I dropped the guy in the water in the 10g tank. After two trips through the MP10 he eventually settled in the rocks. Hopefully Doug the Puffer won't eat him!

nice frags!!!

Thanks, Ninja! I'm especially excited about the Oregon Tort and the Electric Myagi Tort, they were my favorite corals in the 10g tank, and they had colored up really nicely right before I crashed it. Hopefully these will do as well in this tank.

• Like 1

Thanks, Ninja! I'm especially excited about the Oregon Tort and the Electric Myagi Tort, they were my favorite corals in the 10g tank, and they had colored up really nicely right before I crashed it. Hopefully these will do as well in this tank.

I love my miyagi tort. it has nice blue tips now

• Like 1

Beautiful pieces and how nice of them to give you a few more, nice customer service, that's really unexpected.

Well, the three bonus frags were part of their special end of the year sale with a minimum $150 order, which is why I placed the order when I did. But unlike many places that do bonus packs, Holly let me provide input on what would go in the freebies. I asked to sticks and sent her a list of what I already had, so I'm really very happy. The orange monticap isn't anything to get excited about since I already have so many other monticaps, but the two sticks she sent are both really nice, especially the Tyree Bali Tricolor.

I took some pictures later in the day after adding the frags to the tank. They were just starting to put polyps out, and today there's a lot more PE. But most of these pictures show the colors pretty well.

ORA Red Planet:

31903233691_c62376ae01_b.jpgORA Red Planet by TeenyReef, on Flickr

31210476543_773c154233_b.jpgORA Red Planet by TeenyReef, on Flickr

CR Strawberry Fields, right now it looks almost identical to the red planet, but when it gets bigger it has a pretty yellow/green skin. Or Holly messed up and gave me two frags of Red Planet, only time will tell :lol:

31903234471_1db102c2cd_b.jpgCR Strawberry Fields by TeenyReef, on Flickr

31210487373_23fcd177b8_b.jpgCR Strawberry Fields by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oregon Tort. This is a very small frag but looks healthy. PE is nice and full today.

31210469903_9715e76d77_b.jpgOregon Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

31210478833_31778bb2cf_b.jpgOregon Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Tyree Bali Tricolor, what a great freebie :wub:

31210471083_9fd31189bb_b.jpgTyree Bali Tricolor by TeenyReef, on Flickr

31210481063_bcbc44ef68_b.jpgTyree Bali Tricolor by TeenyReef, on Flickr

CR Electric Myagi Tort. This is one of my favorites from CR, it's like a jazzed up myagi tort :)

31210472813_bd278b7f15_b.jpgElectric Myagi Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

31210483493_146fedb9fa_b.jpgCR Electric Myagi Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This is the other stick freebie, a Neon Acro. I love the color.

31210474333_469788ff35_b.jpgNeon Acro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

31210485673_0cbfd100f8_b.jpgNeon Acro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 9

Looks good! Now hopefully they grow ;)

Yeah, that's always the hard part. I also like to take pictures of the beautiful colors on the first day so I can look back and see what they are supposed to look like :lol:

• Like 3

Yeah, that's always the hard part. I also like to take pictures of the beautiful colors on the first day so I can look back and see what they are supposed to look like :lol:

Well that red planet should color up a little more. The ones I see have dome nice color to them. My frag looks the same but the mother colony has much more to it.

My Tiera Del Fuego looks nothing like the day I brought it home :lol: 400W MH just cant be done with my T5s and LEDs...........

• Like 1

Well that red planet should color up a little more. The ones I see have dome nice color to them. My frag looks the same but the mother colony has much more to it.

My Tiera Del Fuego looks nothing like the day I brought it home :lol: 400W MH just cant be done with my T5s and LEDs...........

Yeah, I agree. I'll just be happy if everything lives. There are some white parts on the underside of the red planet that I don't like the look of. Hopefully it's not planning to STN on me.

In other news...did you know it's not a good idea to visit AquaSD's live sale after the New Year's Eve party is over? Drinking and coral shopping don't go together. I may have spent quite a bit more than the value of the gift certificate I got for Christmas :ninja:

• Like 3

Yeah, I agree. I'll just be happy if everything lives. There are some white parts on the underside of the red planet that I don't like the look of. Hopefully it's not planning to STN on me.

In other news...did you know it's not a good idea to visit AquaSD's live sale after the New Year's Eve party is over? Drinking and coral shopping don't go together. I may have spent quite a bit more than the value of the gift certificate I got for Christmas :ninja:

:lol:

I looked but have just not been happy with what they have had lately.........they did have a few things I liked last night but.......

• Like 1

:lol:

I looked but have just not been happy with what they have had lately.........they did have a few things I liked last night but.......

I was able to find enough that I liked. Although the one I really wanted was gone when I tried to order it:

FruityPebblesColony-RetailPrice200SALEPR

• Like 6

As I was going through the ASD sale thread to find the picture of the Fruity Pebbles Colony that I missed out on, I found a few more corals. :blush: Got to take advantage of that one-price shipping charge!

This is all your fault, Spectra.

• Like 4

Be careful teeny if you keep buying sticks at this rate you'll be converting your fw tank into a saltwater one

Some day I will, that's one of the reasons I'm not concerned about outgrowing this tank. When the corals get too big/many for this tank, then I'll have no choice but to upgrade :)

• Like 5

I was able to find enough that I liked. Although the one I really wanted was gone when I tried to order it:

FruityPebblesColony-RetailPrice200SALEPR

I saw that one and was thinking............

As I was going through the ASD sale thread to find the picture of the Fruity Pebbles Colony that I missed out on, I found a few more corals. :blush: Got to take advantage of that one-price shipping charge!

This is all your fault, Spectra.

Nope I didn't hit add to my cart ;)

• Like 2

I saw that one and was thinking............

Nope I didn't hit add to my cart ;)

Yeah, but you made me look :rolleyes:

In other news, the return pump has been getting louder and louder over the last month, with a nasty rattling sound. Last night I pulled it out and cleaned it for the first time since setting up the tank, and then siphoned out the pump chamber and the dead chambers underneath on either side.

That was seriously nasty :wacko:

I didn't see anything wrong with the pump, no visible damage to the the impeller or magnet, so I put it back together, reinstalled it, and...no improvement. So I picked up a new Sicce Syncra 2.0 pump on the way home and that's what I'll be doing tonight.

• Like 3

Well that was not easy, but it's all done now. Turns out that the pump doesn't exactly fit in the IM40. At least, not in the top part of the pump chamber. BUT, if you take off the prefilter cover and the impeller cover, it's just small enough to go down to the bottom of the chamber. Since the bottom of the pump chamber extends all the way accross the tank, there's room for everything down there.

Then I used my pretzel arms to reach all the way down to the bottom of the back chamber to put the pieces back on by feel. I can't wait to take it apart to pull it out for cleaning some day :scarry:

• Like 2

Yeah, I used to have a back chamber w/ my small Evolve8 tank and yeah, so many nasties. Low flow area so I had punch out the bottom of the L shape and the flow improved and it was easier to clean.

• Like 1

Well that was not easy, but it's all done now. Turns out that the pump doesn't exactly fit in the IM40. At least, not in the top part of the pump chamber. BUT, if you take off the prefilter cover and the impeller cover, it's just small enough to go down to the bottom of the chamber. Since the bottom of the pump chamber extends all the way accross the tank, there's room for everything down there.

Then I used my pretzel arms to reach all the way down to the bottom of the back chamber to put the pieces back on by feel. I can't wait to take it apart to pull it out for cleaning some day :scarry:

I bought the same pump for the 30........had to get new tubing and everything not really a plug and play pump :lol: I have a wide chamber in the 30 so was not that bad plus only 13" deep ;)

Got the package.............just got home and am tired so no playing with it tonight............thanks again!

• Like 1

I bought the same pump for the 30........had to get new tubing and everything not really a plug and play pump :lol: I have a wide chamber in the 30 so was not that bad plus only 13" deep ;)

Got the package.............just got home and am tired so no playing with it tonight............thanks again!

Enjoy!

I stopped by Home Depot and picked up a 3/4" threaded to 1/2" ID barb nylon adapter. I got super lucky, with the adapter on the new pump, the tubing was the exact correct length and didn't have to be cut. Or worse, stretched :lol:

• Like 1

Sump > AIO. Your next upgrade will be a Reefer =P

Nah, I'm to cheap to drop the bucks on a reefer, I'd rather waste my money on live corals so they can die :lol:

But I definitely would like to go with a sump in my next build, whenever that is. The IM40 is a nice tank but there's a lot I would do different if I was redoing this tank. I'd have a sump, and I'd have a slightly smaller/less tall tank with a little more room around the sides and back. Right now, if I spill any water down the sides on the back half, it's almost impossible to clean the glass because there's no room. Oops :blush:

• Like 2