Innovative Marine Aquariums

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Sweet deal Teeny! The yoga mat will be just fine. I grabbed one that was a 1/4" off amazon. Hopefully that light works out for you. I had one on my Fusion 20 and liked it but yes way to many shadows for me.

Yeah, I just wanted to try something new. Here's the way I suspect it will go: Kessil -> Radion -> Nanobox. Because Nanobox. Plus the Duo won't have as many shadows. But this way when I end up with the Nanobox it will be because I compared it to other lights and figured out it was the best :lol:

Oh yeah, and yoga mat ordered from Amazon!

Nice! That's a great deal

Thanks - I'm really getting impatient to get it wet but it's probably going to take until next weekend at least.

In other news, well, so much for this colony :(

32322921372_0b1fb11dce_b.jpg20170123-untitled-001.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This was the "Glorious Light" colony that didn't match the wysiwyg picture, so I never was sure what it actually was. I made several frags out of it, hopefully I caught it in time and at least one of the frags will survive. This is the biggest frag:

32096040110_974f9dfd7e_b.jpg20170123-untitled-015-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

We both got great deals on our surprise frag tanks from local reefers! It's exciting to get them going.

I agree! Yours is what got me really inspired to start looking around. :)

I agree! Yours is what got me really inspired to start looking around. :)

I totalled it up, I give him 100 worth of rock flowers for the tank & stand later, otherwise the pump, paint and plumbing supplies, 5.5 g tank for sump, and substrate all came in at a whopping $102.25. I already had rocks, heater, flow & light. This is probably 12g total water.

Yours was 225 and more than twice as big. AWESOME!!!

• Like 1

I totalled it up, I give him 100 worth of rock flowers for the tank & stand later, otherwise the pump, paint and plumbing supplies, 5.5 g tank for sump, and substrate all came in at a whopping $102.25. I already had rocks, heater, flow & light. This is probably 12g total water.

Yours was 225 and more than twice as big. AWESOME!!!

I was blown away by how much I got for the price. Of course, you've done a much better job of keeping the rest of the goodies at a low budget. I've blown all my savings on things like the pump, skimmer, and light. :lol:

I forgot to mention, the reason I noticed the STN on the acro colony is because the alk dosing solution drained out of the Jebao doser again. This time I realized what was going on as soon as the alk started to drop. Since I expected this might happen again, I ordered some plastic airline tubing check valves, and I installed them on all four dosing lines. Hopefully this will take care of the problem, but if not I'm going to have to grit my teeth and get a better doser. :bling:

Also, Holly from Cultivated Reef dropped me a line to ask how the corals I got from her are doing. I'd say they are doing well. But I'll let you judge for yourself from the pictures. :happydance:

32323570202_1b1b3e813a_b.jpgNeon Acro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

31631620664_c43fdfaef6_b.jpgCR Electric Myagi Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

32434789086_70fcfd3efb_b.jpgTyree Bali Tricolor by TeenyReef, on Flickr

32434789756_2abfdd72f7_b.jpgOregon Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

31631622844_7e5b17fdf7_b.jpgCR Strawberry Fields by TeenyReef, on Flickr

31631623714_9d5f648780_b.jpgRed Planet by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 8

Well let me just say I had the Kessil and liked the look. The Radion had just to much disco ball effect for me and it only lasted 2 days on the tank......So maybe try it if you can get a cheaper one.

Sorry to hear about the alk issues.

Marc.The.Shark

Nice Score on the DBR! I lost some color on some of my ASD frags as well, but some are ok. My bubble gum digi came in looking fine but lost the green fairly quickly. It's still ok & haven't lost it, hoping it will color back up. I'm starting to think maybe they run really high Alk and it's a big adjustment to my 8 for some of the sps, dunno. Also, guess what I picked up at the frag swap yesterday??? Hint......left of the pic in a beautiful green! Don't have to be jelly of yours anymore! :)

3CA1644B-33E2-41AA-B4FE-C019487ACF9D.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Score on the DBR! I lost some color on some of my ASD frags as well, but some are ok. My bubble gum digi came in looking fine but lost the green fairly quickly. It's still ok & haven't lost it, hoping it will color back up. I'm starting to think maybe they run really high Alk and it's a big adjustment to my 8 for some of the sps, dunno. Also, guess what I picked up at the frag swap yesterday??? Hint......left of the pic in a beautiful green! Don't have to be jelly of yours anymore! :)

How was the Ann Arbor swap? I wanted to go but had way too much chores to try to get done this weekend to make the trip.

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

How was the Ann Arbor swap? I wanted to go but had way too much chores to try to get done this weekend to make the trip.

It was decent, a lot of people. I picked up a few things. Nothing like Lansing tho, can't wait for that!

• Like 2

Just say no to mariculture colonies, no matter how great they look photoshopped. Hope the frags pull through. That red planet is NICE. I need to get one...but dont know where to put it...hahaha. Pretty sure CultivatedReef acros are from their own colonies so they should be super hardy. A sunset milli I got from them survived buried in the sand for a week after it fell in the back of the rockworks.

• Like 3
Marc.The.Shark

Just say no to mariculture colonies, no matter how great they look photoshopped. Hope the frags pull through. That red planet is NICE. I need to get one...but dont know where to put it...hahaha. Pretty sure CultivatedReef acros are from their own colonies so they should be super hardy. A sunset milli I got from them survived buried in the sand for a week after it fell in the back of the rockworks.

Yeah, I think this is part of the problem too
  • Like 1

Is AquaSD's defense, their corals normally look exactly like the pictures. It's just that the maricultured colonies morphed after I got them.

CR does a great job, and it's nice to know everything comes from colonies they grow so you know they will hold up and keep their colors.

Nice mummy! I love mine :)

• Like 1

Is AquaSD's defense, their corals normally look exactly like the pictures. It's just that the maricultured colonies morphed after I got them.

Issue is just that what you experienced is very very common with maricultured colonies. So no matter how great they look in pictures, they will not look like that in your tank and will take a long time to color back up to match the pictures.

• Like 2

Issue is just that what you experienced is very very common with maricultured colonies. So no matter how great they look in pictures, they will not look like that in your tank and will take a long time to color back up to match the pictures.

Yep, I agree. I have to confess that when I ordered them I didn't really pay attention to the fact that the colonies were maricultured. I've always bought small frags from them before which kept their color.

I've had good luck with mari colonies right off the plane. Two of two have done well, one colored up awesomely and the other has not gotten any color but has nice PE. It seems hit or miss, they're really sensitive from being shipped.

• Like 2

I've had good luck with mari colonies right off the plane. Two of two have done well, one colored up awesomely and the other has not gotten any color but has nice PE. It seems hit or miss, they're really sensitive from being shipped.

I agree shipping is the main culprit. Even when my LFS gets them, they look great the first few days. Then the longer they sit at the shop, the worst they get.

• Like 1

I think Maricultured acros also are used to a ton more light than we provide them in our tanks, contributing to their color morph.

I think that's exactly the case with mine. I could see the original colors when I first got them, although they were already faded. And then they just kept morphing in the lower light at the bottom of the tank. It will be interesting to see what happens over time once they're in the higher light on top of the rocks.

...and in other news, all of the frags I made from the colony that was STN'ing are also STN'ing. No surprise, but still disappointing. I guess I'll never know what that particular colony was going to look like :(

dang, exact same thing that happened to mine. bummer. but that RED PLANET!! i just have to say it again...hahah

I know, I though of you as soon as this one started dying. I should have taken Harry's advice and trimmed out the middle pieces, although I don't know if would have helped.

I love that red planet, it's going to be really nice when it gets big. :)

• Like 1