inTank Media Baskets

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Things have been super busy lately, I was out of town for work all last week, and I've been working long hours over the weekend and nights ever since. I haven't had time to do the weekly water change, but I've been keeping an eye on things in the tank, but it's been doing well - I've only had to scrape algae once since getting back last week.

I've been feeding only pellets daily, and feeding frozen and coral food on weekends. So far everything seems to like it. Honestly I'm just doing it that way because it's all I have time for, but if the corals continue to respond well I'm not going to change anything.

Strangely enough, the STN on the colony frags seems to have slowed considerably. I fully expected the pieces would be completely white by now, but it's barely progressed since the first night after I fragged it. I still have very little hope that any of the frags will survive, but I'm going to leave them alone just to see what happens.

In the meantime, I'm still planning the frag tank build. I just realized I should probably start a new tank thread for it. Hmmm, what's more important, doing a water change or starting a new build thread?

• Like 1

I had a couple SPS frags that started going but after a week of the tank being stabilized it slowed and they have actually started growing back. It was weird that it just stopped and started to re grow. Hopefully yours will recover, it just takes time.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2017 at 1:19 PM, drgibby said:

I had a couple SPS frags that started going but after a week of the tank being stabilized it slowed and they have actually started growing back. It was weird that it just stopped and started to re grow. Hopefully yours will recover, it just takes time.

Sometimes they do recover, so there's still hope. As of tonight, it looks like they are still deteriorating, but very slowly. I don't know what caused it to begin with, as all the other corals are still doing fine.

In other news, I received the Kessil A360 I bought from a fellow N-R member and got it set up. :)

2017-01-25 DB30 FRS

• Like 6

I'm really tempted to go out in the garage and get the submersible pump that use for water changes in the 90g FW tank, and plumb it up so I can get this tank wet. I ordered the pump and skimmer from Fish-street.com so it is literally being shipped from China and will take a while. But the frags in the 4g tank are running with just floss, carbon, and the biobrick. I could set this tank up with the same filtration and just replumb it when I get the new pump and skimmer. Hmmmmm....

Oh and by the way, I didn't do any water changes tonight. So I guess I need to work on a build thread instead :)

• Like 4

I'm really tempted to go out in the garage and get the submersible pump that use for water changes in the 90g FW tank, and plumb it up so I can get this tank wet. I ordered the pump and skimmer from Fish-street.com so it is literally being shipped from China and will take a while. But the frags in the 4g tank are running with just floss, carbon, and the biobrick. I could set this tank up with the same filtration and just replumb it when I get the new pump and skimmer. Hmmmmm....

Oh and by the way, I didn't do any water changes tonight. So I guess I need to work on a build thread instead :)

what pump and skimmer did you get from Fish-street.com?

• Like 1

what pump and skimmer did you get from Fish-street.com?

The DCS2000 pump and the D300 skimmer (which uses a DCS1200). I'm looking forward to trying out the DC motors and people seem to be really happy with the Coral Box skimmers.

• Like 1

The DCS2000 pump and the D300 skimmer (which uses a DCS1200). I'm looking forward to trying out the DC motors and people seem to be really happy with the Coral Box skimmers.

I hated mine. I got the D700. Way too big for my tank, noisy, and overflows all the time. I am pretty sure it's because the skimmer is oversized for my tank so I am sure the smaller ones are much better. I should have gotten a D500 instead. My D700 is still sitting in the closet. Tried to sell it locally for $150 and no one wants it =(.

• Like 1

I hated mine. I got the D700. Way too big for my tank, noisy, and overflows all the time. I am pretty sure it's because the skimmer is oversized for my tank so I am sure the smaller ones are much better. I should have gotten a D500 instead. My D700 is still sitting in the closet. Tried to sell it locally for $150 and no one wants it =(.

That was the one thing I read about them, that if you got one that was too oversized it would overflow all the time. I didn't hear anything about them being loud, though, just the opposite. I guess I'll find out, fingers crossed!

• Like 2

You and FlowerMama with your new frag tanks! I'm jealous! I know I could set up another tank if I really wanted, but it would have to be in my tiny office/fish room/cat room that is already way too crowded. The dogs can't be trusted!

431473_199446396828192_129363403836492_2

• Like 5

The remaining frag bits of the colony that STN'd have now finished disintegrating. And now one of the other two colonies is STN'ing.

#nomorecoloniesever #wasteofmoney #stupidstupidstupid

On the other hand, I'm going to a local reefers get together tomorrow at the best LFS in town. And I've already talked to a guy who is bringing some nice SPS frags to sell/swap. So I may end up getting some nice stuff to make me feel better for losing the colonies.

#coralbuyingtherapy

• Like 1

Sorry about the colonies but yea, that's typical. It's really upsetting until you realize lots of other folks go through the same thing. I still have two frags of one I managed to save after I lost 90% of it ... and it's still poop brown brown brown.

Of course I also have that pink one. Talk about pure dumb luck. :)

I complained about the light choice in your new thread. I feel bad, but not bad enough to remove it. I want to see what you can do with T5's in the mix, it's a selfish want but I'm sticking to it. :)

• Like 2

Sorry about the colonies but yea, that's typical. It's really upsetting until you realize lots of other folks go through the same thing. I still have two frags of one I managed to save after I lost 90% of it ... and it's still poop brown brown brown.

Of course I also have that pink one. Talk about pure dumb luck. :)

I complained about the light choice in your new thread. I feel bad, but not bad enough to remove it. I want to see what you can do with T5's in the mix, it's a selfish want but I'm sticking to it. :)

Thanks, Mark. I still have hopes the third colony will make it, although it's basically poop brown right now. It really does seem to be just luck, probably based on how different conditions were from the natural environment that the colony came from, and how much stress it went through in shipping.

I appreciate the comments about the light, you shouldn't feel bad at all! We reefers need to push each other to get out of our comfort zones sometimes :D

• Like 1

I went to a local reef club meet today hosted at an lfs. It was great, they had a raffle and even set up a grill.

Oops, I bought some corals, too :)

• Like 6

I went to a local reef club meet today hosted at an lfs. It was great, they had a raffle and even set up a grill.

Oops, I bought some corals, too :)

Well.....post some pics, slacker!

• Like 3

So I literally bought corals from a guy selling from the back of his van today! :lol:

He's a semi-local reefer, about two hours drive away, who sells high end frags to local reef community members. The owner of the LFS was super supportive of the community get together, and welcomed him to come down and set up sales from his van. He even let him use the store's wifi.

I was only going to buy one frag, but of course the guy didn't want to take too many corals home so he kept offering cheaper prices, and the more I bought the more he lowered the prices. I ended up buying five and then after I paid him he gave me one more for free. :D

I just finished dipping them and putting them in yet another frag rack, this time up in the nosebleed seats. I can't wait to get the new frag tank going, and get the 10g stabilized so I can get all the extras out of this tank, and start gluing up the ones that are staying.

I took quick picture of the new frags right after putting them in the tank:

32579407015_9ac993856e_b.jpgTyree Pink Lemonade, PC Rainbow, JF Fox Flame, ORA Pearlberry, Blue Stag, RR Tropic Thunder Monti by TeenyReef, on Flickr

From left to right: Tyree Pink Lemonade, PC Rainbow, JF Fox Flame, ORA Pearlberry, generic blue stag, RR Tropic Thunder Monti.

• Like 7