inTank Media Baskets

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Not sure all I know is it has lightened up since I got it. But at the same time other colors have come out that were not there. It now has a ring around the outside under the T5s.

Mine's not quite as deep a blue as it was when I first got it, but overall it's held it's color really well. I don't really know if they are like SPS and get more color with more light, or if they're more like acans and lose their color when they have too much light.

Coral colours look amazing! I don't know how you capture the colours so accurately, with just LEDs.

Your favourite zoas look like "blue eyed blondes", I have some, but not nearly as nice as yours.

Looks like you got awesome reef gifts!

Thanks! I shoot in RAW and use Lightroom to adjust the white balance. Usually I'm able to get it to look pretty much like it does in real life.

• Like 2

Mine's not quite as deep a blue as it was when I first got it, but overall it's held it's color really well. I don't really know if they are like SPS and get more color with more light, or if they're more like acans and lose their color when they have too much light.

Thanks! I shoot in RAW and use Lightroom to adjust the white balance. Usually I'm able to get it to look pretty much like it does in real life.

Not sure and I have some SPS that color up in less light :lol: I have a tierra del fuego and it was orange and cream color under 400 WMH moved it to the 250 I have and it turned green.......friend said yes under brighter lights it will color back up.......go figure.......

I think there are so many morphs of zoas that those could be blue eyed but who knows. I have some that look kind of like those but at the same time saw some today at the LFS that looked a little different.......zoas are just a weird coral......

• Like 2

+1 for blue eyed blondes. I've wanted some of those for a long time but I've only seen them for $75 a polyp :(

They do look similar, but to my eye the ones I have are a little bit different. The ones I found online have a solid blue eye, but mine have a little yellow "pupil". And the yellow surrounding the eye is a solid color vice difference colors in mine.

I probably should just send a picture to Laura at Reefgen and ask her :rolleyes:

Not sure and I have some SPS that color up in less light :lol: I have a tierra del fuego and it was orange and cream color under 400 WMH moved it to the 250 I have and it turned green.......friend said yes under brighter lights it will color back up.......go figure.......

I think there are so many morphs of zoas that those could be blue eyed but who knows. I have some that look kind of like those but at the same time saw some today at the LFS that looked a little different.......zoas are just a weird coral......

They are funny how they will morph in different tanks. I've had the exact same zoas look very different depending on which of my three tanks they are in.

Same for SPS lighting, you just never know whether they need more light or less light to get really good colors. And it's also depending on the water chemistry and what they're being fed, so it's a wonder we get any of them to look good :lol:

• Like 2

Pro tip: Don't Google blue eyed blondes next to your wife.....

I had that same thought :lol:

Yeah, those zoas are just gorgeous in this tank!!!

Thanks, Annette! I have a few more zoas in the 10g tank that aren't in this tank yet. I may frag off a polyp or two and put them in this tank. The look nice in the 10g but aren't growing much, so it would be nice to be able to start propagating them. Some day I'd like to have enough of them to start trading them :)

I realized that the dendros are all flat in every picture I've posted, so I took a shot of them last night right after feeding them. I used frozen spirulina enriched brine shrimp, so even the babies got something to eat.

31111049834_26188469ce_b.jpgHungry Dendros by TeenyReef, on Flickr

While I had the camera out, I took a few pictures under the blue lights.

The candy canes / trumpets (is there a difference?) have mostly recovered. There's just one head that still has algae on it, I may spot treat it with some peroxide today.

31111050774_9a0e71337f_b.jpgTrumpets by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The blue kenya tree looks super blue and super cool under the blue lights :)

31141846153_97f7641fef_b.jpgBlue Kenya Tree by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Blue fts and top down:

31141847803_c9b63af3dd_b.jpg2016-12-28 IM40 FTS (Night) by TeenyReef, on Flickr

31141850873_79a0bee351_b.jpg2016-12-28 IM40 Top Down (Night) by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 6

That kenya tree makes me sooo jealous!

Love that blue kenya tree!

I got the frag from Slowtwitch along with several other awesome frags. It's been an easy grower. I'll probably have to frag it sooner or later, it's getting pretty big in that corner.

I need some dendros! I got a big chunk of sun coral but it is not doing well =(.

Those dendros are pretty :) The sure are a pop of color!

Thanks!

I've found that sometimes they need to be encouraged to open up and eat. Last night they were closed up tight. I put in a little bit of Reef Roids about twenty minutes before feeding, and by the time I started feeding the tank, a few of them opened up just a little bit. I broadcast fed the tank with both coral food and frozen brine shrimp and let that swirl around the tank for about ten minutes. Then I turned off the pumps and target fed the acans and other LPS, and squirted a little coral food on everything else, including the dendros.

By that time, they opened up enough that I could target feed a few brine shrimp into the largest polyps, and I turned the pumps back on.

An hour later, all the polyps were fully open. I turned the pumps off again and squirted a heatly amount of leftover brine shrimp over all the heads and they slurped it right up. They're still open today, although they'll probably close back up once the lights come on.

I've found that they more often they get well fed, the more often they stay open, and the easier it is to keep them fed.

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

I got the frag from Slowtwitch along with several other awesome frags. It's been an easy grower. I'll probably have to frag it sooner or later, it's getting pretty big in that corner.

If you frag it, let me know. :)

• Like 1

I have a small booger sized piece of the neon green (nephthea?) as well. though I may make a couple of bigger ones of those if I can clear some other things out of the frag rack. Need and monti cap? lol

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I'm pretty sure one of these would survive even in your tank, Ben :lol:

Yeah, I have a couple of similar pieces, they're pretty good at trying to kill everything around them, it would fit right in :D

I have a small booger sized piece of the neon green (nephthea?) as well. though I may make a couple of bigger ones of those if I can clear some other things out of the frag rack. Need and monti cap? lol

I'd give a monti cap 24 hours before it keels over lol.

• Like 2

Yeah, I have a couple of similar pieces, they're pretty good at trying to kill everything around them, it would fit right in :D

I'd give a monti cap 24 hours before it keels over lol.

:lol: These don't seem to bother much.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

:lol: These don't seem to bother much.

You'd be surprised, especially in a tank with a bunch of other softies, the allelopathy seems to get stronger and stronger!

One of my sinularia that I've had next to a gorgonian for months all of a sudden started attacking it and the gorg has small patches of flesh missing.

• Like 1