Top Shelf Aquatics

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Beautiful pictures. I don't know why the bold font is on. But I just sort of caught up on the thread. My tree sponge lasted about 2 years and is now disintegrating fast. I don't think mature tanks can sustain them any better TBH. Or maybe it was the light, I put LEDs on a few months ago. Silicates is the answer IMO, and light. Which is also strange because I've had diatoms just like you. /shrug

Yeah, that was the part I couldn't figure out, traditionally diatoms are supposed to indicate high silicates. I even got a silicate test kit, but it always showed zero silicates even right after I dosed silicates :(

I did a triton test after the sponges disintegrated and it showed sliicates were slightly elevated at 137ug/l, which is about what I'd expect given the presence of light diatoms. So I don't know why the sponges didn't do well, other than "new tank syndrome".

Ironically, I moved some frags into the 10g tank, and they recovered there after about a month. Then a month later all the sponges in that tank died too :(

There were no changes in lighting in the 10g, which has a Nanobox. And the sponges there had been growing great for at least a year. But there have been other issues in the 10g that led to a gha infestation, so that's probably what killed the sponges in that tank.

I'll probably try again once I'm sure I've got everything stable in this tank.

• Like 1

There's not a whole lot going on right now. I've been working super late hours for work on a big deadline so I haven't had time to do much of anything other than feed the tanks and keep them going on autopilot.

But I did note the other day the the plate coral seemed like it had much lighter colors when I took the picture from the side, and I wondered if that was because it was losing color, or if it was just the angle of the shot.

Here's the shot from the side:

30645700633_b201a7de4e_b.jpg20161205-untitled-014-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here it is from top down, taken later the same night:

30657073264_aa60ab3212_b.jpgRG Project X Fungia by TeenyReef, on Flickr

As usualy, top down shots are much more colorful :)

• Like 10

Corals are looking great as usual!

Thanks! Hope things are going well in your tank :)

So jealous of that plate coral, nice colouring!

It's one of my favorite corals in the tank right now. It's really cool that it grows on the rocks and kind of encrusts, too.

What I love is either straight down for a rich dark blue or on the side gives deep purple. You can't go wrong here.

Good point! It's pretty either way :)

• Like 1

Well, things have been super crazy busy at work for the last few weeks. I've been working all hours of the night and on weekends too. The worst part is I've been to two different Christmas parties where I couldn't drink because I had to go home and work :blink:

I've been too busy to keep up my tank threads, to busy to do water changes, and I have to confess I've been feeding a lot more pellets and a lot less frozen for a while now.

But my work is all done and turned in now! Tonight I will do water changes and tank maintenance. Or sleep. Or both. Or maybe I'll just dream about doing water changes :lol:

• Like 8

Well, things have been super crazy busy at work for the last few weeks. I've been working all hours of the night and on weekends too. The worst part is I've been to two different Christmas parties where I couldn't drink because I had to go home and work :blink:

I've been too busy to keep up my tank threads, to busy to do water changes, and I have to confess I've been feeding a lot more pellets and a lot less frozen for a while now.

But my work is all done and turned in now! Tonight I will do water changes and tank maintenance. Or sleep. Or both. Or maybe I'll just dream about doing water changes :lol:

I feel exhausted just reading this :lol:.

Glad it's over and you can "relax" now. I vote for water change tomorrow :). I was just thinking this morning that my new water change day (Sunday) is going to conflict with Christmas. Might have to do a water change Saturday morning instead. I don't want to have to mess with the tank when I have people coming over :).

• Like 2

Glad to hear your still going strong.

Looking forward to Xmas pictures of everything!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to having some time to take pictures again!

I feel exhausted just reading this :lol:.

Glad it's over and you can "relax" now. I vote for water change tomorrow :). I was just thinking this morning that my new water change day (Sunday) is going to conflict with Christmas. Might have to do a water change Saturday morning instead. I don't want to have to mess with the tank when I have people coming over :).

Thanks Gena :)

That's a great point about the Sunday water change. Maybe an early Christmas Eve present for the tank!

• Like 1

What no drinks :wacko:

• Like 2

Sounds like the best idea is a nap and then work on one tank for 2 days and move on to the next one.

Yep - although I'm so used to staying up until 4 AM I'll never get to sleep :haha:

I did do a water change in my 10g tank. I moved a bunch of corals from that tank to this one, to try to help them recover. I also moved some SPS frags out of the frag tank, where they've been growing algae recently.

So now this tank looks like a big frag tank. But if the corals recover I'll be very happy :)

I took this picture right after putting everything in. The RBTA and most of the zoas are closed up, but I was surprised by how much detail you can see in the individual corals if you view the picture in Flickr and zoom in.

30935680394_f2ec6f63f9_b.jpg2016-12-20 IM40 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

What no drinks :wacko:

Yeah, and no N-R lounge time either. It's been a harrowing experience :o

• Like 7

Glad to hear they're doing better! And wow that's quite the sight, so many coralz! :wub:

I remember when I wanted to have lots of nice clean empty sand for the zen look. Not so much now :P

• Like 2

Coral junkyard. Perfect description of my tank..

:lol:

But you have so many cool corals and they're all growing well, so there's that :)

So are you going to let thw 10g ride it out or are you going to transfer everything over to here ?

I pulled everything out of the 10g that was doing badly, or just couldn't handle peroxide dips. Now I'm going to go crazy on the 10g with scrubbing, scraping, and peroxide dipping everything I can. Oh, and burning, too, I'll be burning the aiptasia. I may pull out the sand too.

My first day off I spent two hours in the tank.

Good for you! It's a great feeling to get back into the swing of things.

Now I just have to go catch up on about 200 threads, plus whatever's new :blush:

• Like 2