inTank Media Baskets

Leather is for Lovers Thread!

FlowerMama

This is one of my favorite threads.... Softies for the win. I went from LPS to SPS but am now enjoying Macros, RFAs, LPS, and hopefully some softies more. Stella, Lawn, and Flowermama are horrible influences! :P

I don't even have a tank going with this yet!!! But I'll be getting my Quad next week, thanks to this group.

• Like 2

I did find that site shortly after you started with your leathers Gena. I saw that picture too and it looks so white & frilly but then didn't you buy one from somewhere & it wasn't that white but cream?

Yeah, I was in search of a white spaghetti leather and went to Vivid to see if they had it. They had one but it was more on the mint/green side. But they had a white kenya tree so I went with that instead. If I could be guaranteed a white one like on that website I'd buy it. But I have a feeling it would come to me green.

Here are a few pics of my leathers :).

I have a long polyp toadstool, a yellow fiji leather, a sinularia/nepthea, a finger leather. Are kenyas considered leathers? They look like it to me. One is pink and the other is white.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-06%20at%2011.51.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-06%20at%2011.52.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-06%20at%2011.32.

• Like 7

So that one and this one were the same one, right? Thank you for both views.

What a great and fast moving thread!

Here's a photo of the sinularia with extended polyps under daytime lighting:

IMG_6319_zpsqcgsanx5.jpg

sinularia_zpsouskbqjo.jpg

Yeah, I was in search of a white spaghetti leather and went to Vivid to see if they had it. They had one but it was more on the mint/green side. But they had a white kenya tree so I went with that instead. If I could be guaranteed a white one like on that website I'd buy it. But I have a feeling it would come to me green.

Here are a few pics of my leathers :).

I have a long polyp toadstool, a yellow fiji leather, a sinularia/nepthea, a finger leather. Are kenyas considered leathers? They look like it to me. One is pink and the other is white.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-06%20at%2011.51.

In this pic the leather to the left of the toadstool and the macro to the right? They look almost the same, that's crazy.

And the toadstool I got from you is it a neon green toadstool and is that the same as the Sarcophyton Umbrella Leather Coral on the aquariumcreations.com website?

20160303_211006_zpsmdn3yop2.jpg

UmbrellaLeather_zpsmvelvh99.jpg

• Like 1

What do you all feed your leathers and do you just broadcast feed in the water column? I've never done anything with the toadstool, it just gets whatever's floating around. I'm looking at things I already have at home like Reef Frenzy, Phytofeast, Reef Bugs, it all fine I assume?

So that one and this one were the same one, right? Thank you for both views.

Yes. One was polyps closed under actinic and the other one polyps open under daylight light settings. Same coral. Photos taken about a 10 days apart.
  • Like 1
StinkyBunny

What do you all feed your leathers and do you just broadcast feed in the water column? I've never done anything with the toadstool, it just gets whatever's floating around. I'm looking at things I already have at home like Reef Frenzy, Phytofeast, Reef Bugs, it all fine I assume?

I use a mix of Tropic Marin, Reef Roids and Fauna Marin powders mixed with the juice from my frozen food and 1ml of Seachem Plus. I target feed mine.

• Like 2
jamescstein

Mine get frozen mysid juice when I feed the clowns and Yashas. I just turn the return pump off, leave the fan going and squirt it into the fan. After the water clears up, 15-20 minutes the return goes back on. Once a week at least I do the same with reef roids.

My RFAs seem healthier since I stopped target feeding them and letting them just catch what they can.

• Like 3
The Aquarist

Nice dwarf fuzzy!

Thanks! I love dwarf lions, your tank is awesome by the way. The lions have a ton of personality.

It's pretty and fuzzy looking.

Thanks! It's even prettier in person, a solid, pastel/neon green.

Does anyone know how to trim a cabbage leather? This thing is getting big, and is now very close to the sps colony behind it. The sps has is sweepers out constantly, as the leather is touching it. Also, the leather has began to shade some parts of it. Can you cut a leather in the tank? This is a fairly small tank, and I know leathers have nasty toxins.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Does anyone know how to trim a cabbage leather? This thing is getting big, and is now very close to the sps colony behind it. The sps has is sweepers out constantly, as the leather is touching it. Also, the leather has began to shade some parts of it. Can you cut a leather in the tank? This is a fairly small tank, and I know leathers have nasty toxins.

Just cut it with a razor blade or scalpel. As long as you run carbon or have a protein skimmer, you're fine.

• Like 3
The Aquarist

Just cut it with a razor blade or scalpel. As long as you run carbon or have a protein skimmer, you're fine.

I don't have a skimmer, I just run a small amount BRS ROX 0.8 carbon in a small media bag.

• Like 1

I don't have a skimmer, I just run a small amount BRS ROX 0.8 carbon in a small media bag.

I'd put fresh carbon in before cutting it, then change the carbon 24-48 hours after to be safe.

On a separate note, I know they aren't leathers, but I just placed an order for 6 gorgs from KP. Im very excited for Tuesday! :D

• Like 4

I just saw that Diver's Den will be posting another TCN pumping/pulsing sinularia and a TCN weeping willow toadstool later today!

I'd put fresh carbon in before cutting it, then change the carbon 24-48 hours after to be safe.

On a separate note, I know they aren't leathers, but I just placed an order for 6 gorgs from KP. Im very excited for Tuesday! :D

Woo hoo! That is exciting!

Damn it, wish I had my tank up already. See something pretty and I can't have it. boo hoo. I'm working on a thread name in my head.

• Like 1

the leather frag I rescued from work is really doing well. its poofed up big and has polyp extension. Toadstool is looking decent as well.

So that Aquarium connection site - they have some of the same photos that KP uses. My initial thought was they snagged KP's photos. Sounds like that is most likely right!

Stay away from that site. I think they are the old Aqua-"Con" site, sure looks the same if not. Aqua-Con was notorious for stealing photos and putting them up on their site. Just remember Aqua & Con don't go together......

• Like 1

Stay away from that site. I think they are the old Aqua-"Con" site, sure looks the same if not. Aqua-Con was notorious for stealing photos and putting them up on their site. Just remember Aqua & Con don't go together......

that's good advice. Thanks for sharing, Spectra!

Here's a little baby toad I got from Vivid about a month ago:

kmscKRm.jpg

• Like 4