Coral Vue Hydros

Leather is for Lovers Thread!

FlowerMama

I see your not far from me, what LFS do you go to?

Mostly the lfs I go to is anything online that's cheap- like Amazon for salt but ALSM in West Asheville has some nice things, the other LFS is Mountain's to Sea, I don't go there, bad experience there with trying to secure a tank, turned me off and whenever you want something, it pretty much has to be ordered. But I really enjoy and have only been to Nemo's Reef in Charlotte a couple times. Tons of corals, respectable frag prices, clean tanks, all knowledgeable and they don't rush you or make you feel like they know more than you. It's 2 hrs away so i've only been a couple times with some friends.

I've also gone the opposite way to Triad Reef Critters. Nice store. Both Nemo's Reef and Triad Reef Critters carry equipment.

I really doubt that's possible.

Since I don't know enough about them that's why I ask. But I'm really leaning towards a tank w/ leathers as a backdrop to rock flowers and macro algae.

• Like 2

Mostly the lfs I go to is anything online that's cheap- like Amazon for salt but ALSM in West Asheville has some nice things, the other LFS is Mountain's to Sea, I don't go there, bad experience there with trying to secure a tank, turned me off and whenever you want something, it pretty much has to be ordered. But I really enjoy and have only been to Nemo's Reef in Charlotte a couple times. Tons of corals, respectable frag prices, clean tanks, all knowledgeable and they don't rush you or make you feel like they know more than you. It's 2 hrs away so i've only been a couple times with some friends.

I've also gone the opposite way to Triad Reef Critters. Nice store. Both Nemo's Reef and Triad Reef Critters carry equipment.

I had no idea Asheville had a LFS, I was just there last week. Ive heard great things about Nemo's but thats almost 2 hours from me. I'm near Greenville, SC and I'm not a fan of the only LFS in Greenville.

• Like 1

Since I don't know enough about them that's why I ask. But I'm really leaning towards a tank w/ leathers as a backdrop to rock flowers and macro algae.

Gorgs in the backdrop to :)?

Is that a sponge behind it?

Yes leathers gorgonians and sponges are my weakness lately :blush:

A4A8865E-9457-4550-B245-196A7C6DFAAF.jpg

• Like 7

I actually just found your build earlier today, amazing! Where did you purchase all the gorgs and sponges from?

I got most of them from KP Aquatics. A few of the gorgs came from my LFS and other members.
  • Like 4

I got most of them from KP Aquatics. A few of the gorgs came from my LFS and other members.

Ha. I was just visiting your thread and you were posting your leathers here! Ha. I'm strongly considering picking up KPA's rock again to start my 40g over for the rock flower nems, leather, macro & gorgs I want to be housed in it. I love the biology with it and perhaps surprise critters.

I had no idea Asheville had a LFS, I was just there last week. Ive heard great things about Nemo's but thats almost 2 hours from me. I'm near Greenville, SC and I'm not a fan of the only LFS in Greenville.

I've been to one in Greenville, not that impressed. Nothing very impressive here either. I've also used KPAquatics in the past and of course VIPReef for my nems.

• Like 3

I've been to one in Greenville, not that impressed. Nothing very impressive here either. I've also used KPAquatics in the past and of course VIPReef for my nems.

Yeah tell me about it :unsure: They have new owners now, and I had some high expectations at first and initially it got better, but after that it seems to have gone down hill significantly... I plan on placing an order from KP soon. Any experience with the rock nems from them?

On a separate note, I have wanted a pair of banggai cardinals ever since before I got in the hobby over 2 years ago and I just ordered a bonded pair from DD! Will be here as well as a TCN pumping sinularia on Monday :D

I think the sexiest leather I have ever seen is either the green nepthea or the yellow fiji. Problem is finding them.

The pictures of the green nepthea always looked just like the neon green sinularia that ORA sells. Anyone know what the main difference is between the 2?

The pictures of the green nepthea always looked just like the neon green sinularia that ORA sells. Anyone know what the main difference is between the 2?

No clue and that's why I started this thread. I know so little about them.

I think the sexiest leather I have ever seen is either the green nepthea or the yellow fiji. Problem is finding them.

Vivid has them both pretty regularly. They just got more Fiji in a couple days ago.

Shipping is free with a relatively small purchase anount.

I really like my Toadstools this is one of my favorites. 00CBE420-7D3B-4B50-9316-6F10D250E2CC.png

What kind of stool is this?

I've always liked it.

• Like 2

Fun thread, Annette! I'm definitely on a leather kick. Here are mine:

The one that started it all, my original Tyree Neon Green Toadstool. This is the mother toadstool that has produced numerous babies over the years.

24046640494_d4dedea3fe_k.jpgIMG_0849 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

A couple of the baby toadstools. (Oh and Falkor the eel, but you can ignore him :lol: )

24557019312_c911ed40ba_k.jpgIMG_0907 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

My neon green nepthea (I think...could be a green sinularia, but was sold to be as a nepthea. I can't tell the difference. I'm open to corrections if its not a nepthea.)

24557027482_8258a75478_k.jpgIMG_0855 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Another predator photobomb, but you can see the full nepthea.

24307129199_67e2993695_k.jpgIMG_0810 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

The new neon green cabbage leather before I placed it on the scape.

24585871431_35dfde07df_k.jpgIMG_1464 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

And the cabbage under blues only.

24653186346_9e7d632be9_k.jpgIMG_1439 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Also new, the yellow fiji leather.

24475635233_ba9a43eeda_k.jpgIMG_1801 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

I also have a basic pinkish-tan finger leather that I believe is just a sinularia that's in the back left corner. Couldn't find a photo of it right this moment.

• Like 10

Ha. I was just visiting your thread and you were posting your leathers here! Ha. I'm strongly considering picking up KPA's rock again to start my 40g over for the rock flower nems, leather, macro & gorgs I want to be housed in it. I love the biology with it and perhaps surprise critters.

So what thread is your current reef that will get leathers? Link please!
  • Like 1
jedimasterben

LiveAquaria has had a few yellow leathers in Diver's Den lately, but they've also had some green imposters, so you have to only choose the ones that are totally yellow.

I actually think the ORA sinularia is much brighter, but I don't have a true Palau nephthea to compare it to :)

Vivid has them both pretty regularly. They just got more Fiji in a couple days ago.

Really? I guess I never really looked too close at them, I'll have to pay them a visit. :)

My neon green nepthea (I think...could be a green sinularia, but was sold to be as a nepthea. I can't tell the difference. I'm open to corrections if its not a nepthea.)

The main problem is that they are so similar externally (and sometimes specimens will literally be identical externally) that it basically takes DNA testing to determine the species, which is nuts.

• Like 5

What kind of stool is this?

I've always liked it.

Not really sure but it dropped a baby last week off the back. It could be yours for 1 not 2 but 1 million dollas
  • Like 4

Vivid Aquariums has nice yellow Fijis. I picked one up a month or two ago and LOVE it. jLzExzp.jpg

Still cheaper I think :unsure:

:lol: Crack is cheaper? Or your version :) I think crack is probably cheaper :lol:

One of my newer leather additions! Pulsing sinularia!

dYm3Qxg.jpg

• Like 3

Here are my clowns enjoying their Toadstool home :) They go back and forth from this toad to the one you can see in the background.

qcVibPp.jpg

And ONE more leather photo. My cabbage leather - the clowns and their toad are in the foreground so it should give you an idea of size:

loxOwRp.jpg

• Like 4

Not really sure but it dropped a baby last week off the back. It could be yours for 1 not 2 but 1 million dollas

Chump change. Wrap it up my good man.

I'll have Rutherford pick it up by noon.

• Like 5

The main problem is that they are so similar externally (and sometimes specimens will literally be identical externally) that it basically takes DNA testing to determine the species, which is nuts.

Ok, glad to know I'm not just blind. I've looked at photos of both and was like, "there is absolutely no difference!" I figure leathers aren't like high end zoas and SPS where everyone cares about exact strain and lineage, so I don't particularly care beyond "Its a pretty leather!" haha! That's actually one of the reasons I'm loving things like leathers and gorgs. I'm over designer/name-brand corals.

LiveAquaria has had a few yellow leathers in Diver's Den lately, but they've also had some green imposters, so you have to only choose the ones that are totally yellow.

The yellow fiji leathers have been a bit hard to find recently, but Vivid Aquariums has them and they are stunning! Both mine and Stella's came from there. I ordered my yellow fiji leather and the neon green cabbage leather from them and couldn't have been happier with the shipment. Also, Vivid now has $15 shipping if you're in CA, so that worked out nicely for me. I want to order more leathers from them, but I'm out of space. They have a nice yellow Devil's hand leather that is screaming my name :lol:

One of my newer leather additions! Pulsing sinularia!

dYm3Qxg.jpg

Where did you find the pulsing sinularia? I love this!

• Like 2

Ok, glad to know I'm not just blind. I've looked at photos of both and was like, "there is absolutely no difference!" I figure leathers aren't like high end zoas and SPS where everyone cares about exact strain and lineage, so I don't particularly care beyond "Its a pretty leather!" haha! That's actually one of the reasons I'm loving things like leathers and gorgs. I'm over designer/name-brand corals.

The yellow fiji leathers have been a bit hard to find recently, but Vivid Aquariums has them and they are stunning! Both mine and Stella's came from there. I ordered my yellow fiji leather and the neon green cabbage leather from them and couldn't have been happier with the shipment. Also, Vivid now has $15 shipping if you're in CA, so that worked out nicely for me. I want to order more leathers from them, but I'm out of space. They have a nice yellow Devil's hand leather that is screaming my name :lol:

Where did you find the pulsing sinularia? I love this!

I got it from the aquacultured section of diver's den! They had another out there yesterday I think! It's one of their TCN aquacultured frags. You need one! It pulses when it eats. It's pretty cool and I love how white and fluffy it is!!

Fun thread, Annette! I'm definitely on a leather kick. Here are mine:

The one that started it all, my original Tyree Neon Green Toadstool. This is the mother toadstool that has produced numerous babies over the years.24046640494_d4dedea3fe_k.jpgIMG_0849 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

A couple of the baby toadstools. (Oh and Falkor the eel, but you can ignore him :lol: )24557019312_c911ed40ba_k.jpgIMG_0907 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

My neon green nepthea (I think...could be a green sinularia, but was sold to be as a nepthea. I can't tell the difference. I'm open to corrections if its not a nepthea.)24557027482_8258a75478_k.jpgIMG_0855 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Another predator photobomb, but you can see the full nepthea.24307129199_67e2993695_k.jpgIMG_0810 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

The new neon green cabbage leather before I placed it on the scape.24585871431_35dfde07df_k.jpgIMG_1464 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

And the cabbage under blues only.24653186346_9e7d632be9_k.jpgIMG_1439 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Also new, the yellow fiji leather.24475635233_ba9a43eeda_k.jpgIMG_1801 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

I also have a basic pinkish-tan finger leather that I believe is just a sinularia that's in the back left corner. Couldn't find a photo of it right this moment.

That cabbage is pretty!! I got mine from Glenn(CGA) and love it. I think the shape of the cabbage leathers is nice.

Yours drop babies so easily! I wish mine would :)

• Like 1

the yellow fiji is one of my favourites. How is the growth with the tyree toadstool? i just picked up a frag about the size of a quarter and can't wait for it to grow.

• Like 2