Innovative Marine Aquariums

Leather is for Lovers Thread!

FlowerMama

Thank you! Kind of an odd combo, but I think it works! :D

Again, the wonders of leathers! I sent one to Polar that USPS lost and it didn't show up for 4 days. Its doing wonderfully :)

When I ship, the softies and blue sponge will be going USPS priority in those bubble wrap lined plastic envelopes in urine specimen cups without heat packs. Its going to be the easiest shipping ever!

Sign me up!

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix

I have that same leather you can see it bottom right of this picture. I have had it for at least 5 years it's a little smaller than a volleyball

e773471d-66b1-47d8-ac6c-a01d2a54aa23.jpg

I am not sure what the name actually is.

Gorgeous leather, Lawn! :happy: I saw another customer turning in the same species of leather (slightly bigger size than yours though - it was a beast) at my LFS. I begged for a frag but the manager refused to give me one. Eventually I sourced out a frag a year later from another store and quickly brought it home. I love it so far - easily the fastest-growing coral I currently have at the moment. :wub:

Flower, I'm sorry - I don't know what kind of leather it is either. Almost every leather that comes in here is labelled 'soft finger leather'. :unsure:

• Like 1

Yes, I changed up the name of the thread. Hope you all like it.

The old title made me think of Dr. Seuss. The new one makes me think of:

tumblr_o08h99iAX71r1jc7go1_400.jpg

• Like 6
jamescstein

Thank you! Kind of an odd combo, but I think it works! :D

Again, the wonders of leathers! I sent one to Polar that USPS lost and it didn't show up for 4 days. Its doing wonderfully :)

When I ship, the softies and blue sponge will be going USPS priority in those bubble wrap lined plastic envelopes in urine specimen cups without heat packs. Its going to be the easiest shipping ever!

I had a nepthea shipped to me from CA. Took 3 days, It looked ok but melted within a week. My lemnalia frags 4 out of the 5 I sent out after thanksgiving didn't survivve the trip. All had heat packs. 3 of them were goo in the bag, 2 of them put up a valiant effort but eventually melted. When I frag that one again I don't think I'll be sending it priority mail.

• Like 2

I had a nepthea shipped to me from CA. Took 3 days, It looked ok but melted within a week. My lemnalia frags 4 out of the 5 I sent out after thanksgiving didn't survivve the trip. All had heat packs. 3 of them were goo in the bag, 2 of them put up a valiant effort but eventually melted. When I frag that one again I don't think I'll be sending it priority mail.

I think they'll be ok now going priority that it's not as cold. I think cold weather was the problem. I know with Lawn's, the water was really cold when he got it and it looked ok, but then disintegrated after a day or two.

jedimasterben

That page that FlowerMama linked has 2 'yellow sarcaphytons' listed. Sarcophyton elegans and Sarcophyton tenuispiculatum. The former is what I have, the later is the one that is really yellow.

I've never heard of the yellows from Fiji called anything other than S. elegans. At this point, they're so commonly cultured everywhere that it would be impossible to determine if they are still the same corals :/

Is that in Snow Phoenix's tank and Lawn's tank pink colt coral maybe? Ciadella sp?

I'd love to find more examples of yellow soft coral. If found some extreme yellow pics like what I want since rock flowers are also bright. But of course on a back drop of coraline algae it's going to look superb. Do they become more rich yellow over time as I see some yellows are more of a mellow yellow almost peach?

yellow_leather_coral_zps6c4obhyr.jpg

yellowleather_zpsn9iixmto.jpg

They need to be given extreme light (in the 400+ PAR range) and be battered with intermittent flow to get and keep their yellow color, otherwise it just muddies to a yellow-brown.

Wow this site has MANY yellow leathers, among dozens of other types

http://www.aquariumcreationsonline.net/softcoral.html

That site used tobe AquaConnection, aka AquaCON because they were pieces of garbage like Reefs2Go.

• Like 1

Damn !!

Came here expecting a different kind of leather , so I leave disappointed.

Everyone's corals look nice though. :flower:

The old title made me think of Dr. Seuss. The new one makes me think of:

tumblr_o08h99iAX71r1jc7go1_400.jpg

Glad to see I wasn't the only one

• Like 3

Damn !!

Came here expecting a different kind of leather , so I leave disappointed.

Everyone's corals look nice though. :flower:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one

:lol:

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

Ben hit the nail on the head with light and flow. If you think your sticks need PAR, yellow leathers need more. They also MUST be fed or they won't grow, I suspect that is a characteristic of the coloration.

This is a red speckled leather from Fiji, the one on top to the right. It's kind of hard to make out the red, but it's there. I've been trying to get in there and shoot some more pics, but broken machines keep getting in the way.

vcJMmKF.jpg

Aussie green Sinularia:

jNaPS7O.jpg

This Indo monster was sold, 14" in diameter!

z2E6lZt.jpg

xy5L1PY.jpg

Kenyan Cespitularia:

5yLAXQA.jpg

Lp green toad:

CFlkxlO.jpg

Macro green devil's hand:

caElQsB.jpg

XCOVzAM.jpg

I WILL have 10-20 of the Fiji yellows shortly.

• Like 3

I've never heard of the yellows from Fiji called anything other than S. elegans. At this point, they're so commonly cultured everywhere that it would be impossible to determine if they are still the same corals :/

They need to be given extreme light (in the 400+ PAR range) and be battered with intermittent flow to get and keep their yellow color, otherwise it just muddies to a yellow-brown.

That site used tobe AquaConnection, aka AquaCON because they were pieces of garbage like Reefs2Go.

So that Aquarium connection site - they have some of the same photos that KP uses. My initial thought was they snagged KP's photos. Sounds like that is most likely right!

I recently bought a neon green sinularia. I had just added it to the tank and the sexy shrimp were bugging it so the polyps retracted. It looks very bright under actinics but less so when the polyps are extended.

In my 55 I had a toadstool which was also cool.

IMG_0706_zpstecltxrf.jpg

• Like 3
jedimasterben

I recently bought a neon green sinularia. I had just added it to the tank and the sexy shrimp were bugging it so the polyps retracted. It looks very bright under actinics but less so when the polyps are extended.

Get those shrimp outta there, they're nothing but trouble.

• Like 1

Get those shrimp outta there, they're nothing but trouble.

They've been ok so far but I am keeping an eye on them. I need more interest in this tank because the Firefish just hangs out under his rock for most of the day.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

This is one of my favorite threads.... Softies for the win. I went from LPS to SPS but am now enjoying Macros, RFAs, LPS, and hopefully some softies more. Stella, Lawn, and Flowermama are horrible influences! :P

• Like 4
jedimasterben

Oh the Rasta Leather (Sinularis Flexibillis) :wub:. I wonder how small their "Small" is? I need tiny LOL.

Vivid has some spaghetti leathers, I'd recommend you get one from them, instead.

• Like 1

Vivid has some spaghetti leathers, I'd recommend you get one from them, instead.

They sure do!!!! Huh...I didn't see them when I was there last. Actually I may have...it was more green than I wanted. I like that white shade.

Thanks for letting us know. I hadn't heard of it before.

Another possible title for this thread was ...For the Love of Leather. But this one sounds more kinky. And no, I don't own any leather.

Ben hit the nail on the head with light and flow. If you think your sticks need PAR, yellow leathers need more. They also MUST be fed or they won't grow, I suspect that is a characteristic of the coloration.

This is a red speckled leather from Fiji, the one on top to the right. It's kind of hard to make out the red, but it's there. I've been trying to get in there and shoot some more pics, but broken machines keep getting in the way.

vcJMmKF.jpg

Aussie green Sinularia:

jNaPS7O.jpg

This Indo monster was sold, 14" in diameter!

z2E6lZt.jpg

xy5L1PY.jpg

Kenyan Cespitularia:

5yLAXQA.jpg

Lp green toad:

CFlkxlO.jpg

Macro green devil's hand:

caElQsB.jpg

XCOVzAM.jpg

I WILL have 10-20 of the Fiji yellows shortly.

I'm gonna have to get this dirty 40g tank cleaned out so I can start some cycling. I'm enjoying seeing the different kinds. Do you have another picture of the macro green devil's hand?

Great thread Annette!!!! Hard to believe your green toady was that small at one time :).

Oh the Rasta Leather (Sinularis Flexibillis) :wub:. I wonder how small their "Small" is? I need tiny LOL.

I did find that site shortly after you started with your leathers Gena. I saw that picture too and it looks so white & frilly but then didn't you buy one from somewhere & it wasn't that white but cream?

Just bought a piece of this

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hoping its looks as good in person fingerscrossed

I saw that too and then I saw it'll be like an inch piece. Definitely show us a pic when you get it and keep us updated on it's growth.

jedimasterben

OK Ben, what's wrong with the Sexy shrimp?

They eat coral and aren't picky about which ones they eat. SPS, LPS, softies. They adore the skirts of zoanthids, though.

• Like 2