Cultivated Reef

Leather is for Lovers Thread!

FlowerMama

I got it from the aquacultured section of diver's den! They had another out there yesterday I think! It's one of their TCN aquacultured frags. You need one! It pulses when it eats. It's pretty cool and I love how white and fluffy it is!!

I bought the last frag last night ;) But they seem to be getting them in on a regular basis. On a sad note, I just noticed my flame angel picking on my toadstool :(

• Like 2

I bought the last frag last night ;) But they seem to be getting them in on a regular basis. On a sad note, I just noticed my flame angel picking on my toadstool :(

Oh cool! To the sinularia - not the toadstool :(

• Like 1

Oh cool! To the sinularia - not the toadstool :(

Yeah I know...I was wondering why it would look pissed 2-3 times a day. Honestly thats partially why I decided to go with a softie tank. I really wanted a flame and figured if I did get one that nipped, having tough fast growing corals would help offset any damage done by the angel.

• Like 1

the yellow fiji is one of my favourites. How is the growth with the tyree toadstool? i just picked up a frag about the size of a quarter and can't wait for it to grow.

I just picked up a Tyree one as well. I will keep you updated on my growth you should do the same.

25C3B2F1-557D-4046-BACF-5914B972CDB8.jpg

Time for that Angel to hit the LFS for some credit :)
  • Like 2

I just picked up a Tyree one as well. I will keep you updated on my growth you should do the same.

25C3B2F1-557D-4046-BACF-5914B972CDB8.jpg

I just missed out on getting one. One day...

Time for that Angel to hit the LFS for some credit :)

Fortunately he hasn't done any damage, and my LFS has just about the worst credit policy ever. Well their policy is ok..its the record keeping thats lacking. Ive lost about $80 of "store credit" with them.

• Like 1

the yellow fiji is one of my favourites. How is the growth with the tyree toadstool? i just picked up a frag about the size of a quarter and can't wait for it to grow.

The toadstools always seem to grow slow when they're tiny, but then once they hit a certain size they seem to really speed up. Once they're big, they will drop babies pretty regularly.

• Like 2

Well if people are looking for Tyree toadstools, I'll probably have some for sale soon. I have several babies on my frag rack, I've just been too busy to deal with the hassle of selling and shipping. I'll also have some green nepthea soon because I need to hack a whole branch off of mine that is shading my clams.

• Like 6

Yeah I know...I was wondering why it would look pissed 2-3 times a day. Honestly thats partially why I decided to go with a softie tank. I really wanted a flame and figured if I did get one that nipped, having tough fast growing corals would help offset any damage done by the angel.

My clowns go nuts on my toads. At first they'd close up now it seems like they're used to the clowns beating them up and they seem to be happy as ever! Maybe the same will happen with your guy? My male clown will nip at the toad when the polyps aren't out almost like he's saying come on! Open up already.

• Like 1

My clowns go nuts on my toads. At first they'd close up now it seems like they're used to the clowns beating them up and they seem to be happy as ever! Maybe the same will happen with your guy? My male clown will nip at the toad when the polyps aren't out almost like he's saying come on! Open up already.

I hope so. Now that I think of it, this toadstool had some algae (and still has a touch) on the base that the flame picked off. The only other corals he ever picked on originally had algae on them, so I think he ends up irritating it thinking it still has some algae. He doesn't touch the two babies right next to it.

• Like 1
jamescstein

LiveAquaria has had a few yellow leathers in Diver's Den lately, but they've also had some green imposters, so you have to only choose the ones that are totally yellow.

That page that FlowerMama linked has 2 'yellow sarcaphytons' listed. Sarcophyton elegans and Sarcophyton tenuispiculatum. The former is what I have, the later is the one that is really yellow.

• Like 2
The Aquarist

Got a brownish-green cabbage for 10 bucks about 6 months ago. It has grown considerably, and turned a solid neon green in my tank.A nice shot I took today, taken with iphone. Actual lighting is a coral compulsion 14k par30.

post-82411-0-12086600-1457232778_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Here's a snapshot of mine last week:

kgPWcPC.png

It has grown a few more branches since then. :)

What kind is it Snow?

So what thread is your current reef that will get leathers? Link please!

Still have to start it! My light should come next week but I still have to get a pump for flow and get a 40g again. I'm still thinking of a name for the thread.

Fun thread, Annette! I'm definitely on a leather kick. Here are mine:

The one that started it all, my original Tyree Neon Green Toadstool. This is the mother toadstool that has produced numerous babies over the years.

24046640494_d4dedea3fe_k.jpgIMG_0849 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

A couple of the baby toadstools. (Oh and Falkor the eel, but you can ignore him :lol: )

24557019312_c911ed40ba_k.jpgIMG_0907 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

My neon green nepthea (I think...could be a green sinularia, but was sold to be as a nepthea. I can't tell the difference. I'm open to corrections if its not a nepthea.)

24557027482_8258a75478_k.jpgIMG_0855 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Another predator photobomb, but you can see the full nepthea.

24307129199_67e2993695_k.jpgIMG_0810 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

The new neon green cabbage leather before I placed it on the scape.

24585871431_35dfde07df_k.jpgIMG_1464 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

And the cabbage under blues only.

24653186346_9e7d632be9_k.jpgIMG_1439 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Also new, the yellow fiji leather.

24475635233_ba9a43eeda_k.jpgIMG_1801 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

I also have a basic pinkish-tan finger leather that I believe is just a sinularia that's in the back left corner. Couldn't find a photo of it right this moment.

I really enjoy watching your predators among the gorgs and leathers. Jut a beautiful combination.

• Like 2

Here's a snapshot of mine last week:

kgPWcPC.png

It has grown a few more branches since then. :)

I have that same leather you can see it bottom right of this picture. I have had it for at least 5 years it's a little smaller than a volleyball

e773471d-66b1-47d8-ac6c-a01d2a54aa23.jpg

I am not sure what the name actually is.

• Like 3

Vivid Aquariums has nice yellow Fijis. I picked one up a month or two ago and LOVE it. jLzExzp.jpg

:lol: Crack is cheaper? Or your version :) I think crack is probably cheaper :lol:

One of my newer leather additions! Pulsing sinularia!

dYm3Qxg.jpg

Yeah, that pulsing sinularia is gorgeous!

• Like 1

I have that same leather you can see it bottom right of this picture. I have had it for at least 5 years it's a little smaller than a volleyball

e773471d-66b1-47d8-ac6c-a01d2a54aa23.jpg

I am not sure what the name actually is.

I love that red leather. I think it's a blushing finger leather coral. Not sure though.

• Like 2

Is that in Snow Phoenix's tank and Lawn's tank pink colt coral maybe? Ciadella sp?

I'd love to find more examples of yellow soft coral. If found some extreme yellow pics like what I want since rock flowers are also bright. But of course on a back drop of coraline algae it's going to look superb. Do they become more rich yellow over time as I see some yellows are more of a mellow yellow almost peach?

yellow_leather_coral_zps6c4obhyr.jpg

yellowleather_zpsn9iixmto.jpg

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Well if people are looking for Tyree toadstools, I'll probably have some for sale soon. I have several babies on my frag rack, I've just been too busy to deal with the hassle of selling and shipping. I'll also have some green nepthea soon because I need to hack a whole branch off of mine that is shading my clams.

If they can do 2 day shipping I would be interested :)

• Like 2

Got a brownish-green cabbage for 10 bucks about 6 months ago. It has grown considerably, and turned a solid neon green in my tank.A nice shot I took today, taken with iphone. Actual lighting is a coral compulsion 14k par30.

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender_1-bspline (2).jpg

It's pretty and fuzzy looking.

• Like 1

Is that in Snow Phoenix's tank and Lawn's tank pink colt coral maybe? Ciadella sp?

I'd love to find more examples of yellow soft coral. If found some extreme yellow pics like what I want since rock flowers are also bright. But of course on a back drop of coraline algae it's going to look superb. Do they become more rich yellow over time as I see some yellows are more of a mellow yellow almost peach?

Good god! I've never seen fijis like that! I want one :)

• Like 1

So do I !!!. I read the fiji yellows turn more yellow over time and more close to the light?

That's awesome! It's so fluffy too!!! I like the new thread name!

• Like 1

Yes, I changed up the name of the thread. Hope you all like it.

:lol:

:wub: where the hell do I buy that :lol: ?
  • Like 1