inTank Media Baskets

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

Hmm... More space for sure. I need some rocks that can give me a more 3d look- flatish, etc. These are all somewhat round and two dimensional.

I know im planning on buying one when I get a refugium light and/or more nutrients in the reefer :)

fuge light $9 or less at the HD. they had some led flood lights on sale last for .99 cents. Cheap clip on fixture...done fuge light.

• Like 3

fuge light $9 or less at the HD. they had some led flood lights on sale last for .99 cents. Cheap clip on fixture...done fuge light.

Nice. Ill pick one up later-- I think already have a clip on lamp.

But those are cubes! I am 47"x21"

Don't worry about recreating anything you see. You should worry about finding an arrangement that makes you happy to look at. As for the rest of us, 50% will love it, and the other 50% probably won't care one way or another.

My main point is that hardscaping your tank is challenging, and should be fun! Take the advise and examples with a grain of salt! Find some elements that you like and adapt them to your own tank.

• Like 3

Don't worry about recreating anything you see. You should worry about finding an arrangement that makes you happy to look at. As for the rest of us, 50% will love it, and the other 50% probably won't care one way or another.

My main point is that hardscaping your tank is challenging, and should be fun! Take the advise and examples with a grain of salt! Find some elements that you like and adapt them to your own tank.

Thats true, and I think my scape will evolve as the corals change and anemones move. :ninja:

Aquaecapes is really a personal thing I guess. I would like some more 3 dimensional stuff from smaller pieces and then to seperate the structure at one point, but overall I am really happy. Stella helped me a lot. Originally I sent her a photo of a pile of rocks with "help." haha

Im going to break up my big 25b rock (not pictured) to try and make something interesting, or worst case scenario more frag plugs :)

• Like 1

How are the LPS and SPS doing since the swap?

Looks REALLY good. Like really really good. Better than in RL-45- LPS heads huge; half your fist.

I think since I sort of... stopped testing the water in the 45 for a long time. They are enjoying the fresh stuff.

• Like 1

Thats beautiful. Do you have any pictures of similar inspiring scapes in a longer tank that lacks that depth?

that tank is pure sex! Have you done any changes? I like to look at some of the Japanese tanks for inspration
  • Like 1

ha! If only.

Heres where I am at. Needs more depth and a 48" ATI but its not bad TBH

D6D33CAF-2414-4C11-87B6-6F700DC8CCAB_zps

that tank is pure sex! Have you done any changes? I like to look at some of the Japanese tanks for inspration

I haven't done any changes yet haha. Was working on stupid essays! Knocked out a couple though

The rock I got from reef cleaners is mostly... round. I didn't ask for anything unusual or special shapes, but its hard to scape very "unusually" with the round pieces. The above scape is current.

My ATI 6x54w ships today :)

• Like 2

I think you could pull the big rock on the right forward a bit, and let the long left structure trail off behind it, and leave a space between them. That would give you an interesting path for the eye to follow, and would create an illusion of depth. It would also give the fish a nice valley to swim through. Keep the black background scraped and scrubbed, and it'll help intensify the feeling that the tank disappears into dark water.

• Like 3

I think you could pull the big rock on the right forward a bit, and let the long left structure trail off behind it, and leave a space between them. That would give you an interesting path for the eye to follow, and would create an illusion of depth. It would also give the fish a nice valley to swim through. Keep the black background scraped and scrubbed, and it'll help intensify the feeling that the tank disappears into dark water.

I think I get what you mean! With the valley from the long rocks trailing off to the back behind the acro island. This weekend I will be doing V2 :)

• Like 1

My ATI 6x54w ships today :)

Welcome to the light side!

I've run every kind of lighting you can imagine since 2004 when I started reefing. Nothing gets it done as well as t5.

• Like 1

Welcome to the light side!

I've run every kind of lighting you can imagine since 2004 when I started reefing. Nothing gets it done as well as t5.

I think hybrids are where its really at; LED and T5 or LED and MH. But I am excited to try this :)

Yeh don't expect the same visuals. Led is dim with strong contrast. T5 is bright with low contrast. But, and it's a big but, the border spread of light in the end is far better for your corals hands down. That and the wave length of uv in LED is extremely narrow where as in t5 you get the right, broad wave length of uv that your corals will love.

And I do agree. Led t5 hybrids will give the coral the light they need while the led will give the visual we all love to see.

• Like 1

Move SPS island to left? Can you make me a drawing- no idea what you're talking about

so all the existing rock that you had on the left, in the same orientation that you had it, slide it over into the existing boulder on the right towards the back of the tank. Take all new pretty white rock, build new island on the left.

• Like 1

so all the existing rock that you had on the left, in the same orientation that you had it, slide it over into the existing boulder on the right towards the back of the tank. Take all new pretty white rock, build new island on the left.

That's a good idea! It won't look as broken up while things are getting all colored up.

"In the same orientation you had it" in the 45?

So old rock to the right, big ol island. White Island on left?

someone draw him a picture!

Please do :lol:

A few of my thoughts are:

• Bubble tip anemone gets space to spread. Its about 1 foot when happy
  • Nothing touching the glass- I want to keep the back cleanable.
  • Overall design does well with the flow of one MP40
  • It uses what I have

• Like 1

harry_zpsubzk6ddp.jpg

This guy approves

Woah. That looks great. I like it- mini cover on the right, etc. Im going to try it first thing this weekend, thanks Mike! Which corals should go on "white island"? The LPS- hammers, frogspawn, torches, etc?

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350