Pod Your Reef

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

Damn, this 350 is just absolutely insane man. So glad you picked up a new DSLR too, all the photos are amazing! Can't wait to see this continue with these photos like this!! :D

So at the LFS Nassarius snails are $3 each, and on ReefCleaners $.45 each- 1/6 the price.

Ordered:

25 Nassarius Vibex

10 Nerite Snail

1 Penny Macro Algae

For $24 shipped.

I hate Nerite Snails. They rarely move and when they do, they are climbing out the tank. And I dont think they do much. Trochus and Astrea are soooo much better for algae control.

• Like 9

The 350 looks like it's coming along well.

I'm glad your sticking to your guns and doing what "you" want, and not listening to the nay-sayers.

Your 45 looked excellent and in a couple months this will as well. :)

Keep it up!

I hate Nerite Snails. They rarely move and when they do, they are climbing out the tank. And I dont think they do much. Trochus and Astrea are soooo much better for algae control.

That's because they are carnivorous and they eat left over food or anything that has died in the tank. Very beneficial for nitrate control... Plus they churn up the sand bed which helps it from becoming a nutrient filled dump.

That's because they are carnivorous and they eat left over food or anything that has died in the tank. Very beneficial for nitrate control... Plus they churn up the sand bed which helps it from becoming a nutrient filled dump.

I think those are the nassarius snails that eat food and detritus. They are awesome.

I hate nerites, too. Mine never moved, crawled out of the tank all the time, and then they eventually died in spite of having lots of algae and film to graze on. Trochus are my favs for algae.

• Like 3

I have a few trochus already, not much algae at the moment so done need more.

Damn, this 350 is just absolutely insane man. So glad you picked up a new DSLR too, all the photos are amazing! Can't wait to see this continue with these photos like this!! :D

Thanks! Actually its my sisters DSLR... Just borrowed unfortunately.

The 350 looks like it's coming along well.

I'm glad your sticking to your guns and doing what "you" want, and not listening to the nay-sayers.

Your 45 looked excellent and in a couple months this will as well. :)

Keep it up!

Thanks! Not sure what "sticking to your guns" you are referring to exactly, but nonetheless it is appreciated!

I hope this one does as well as the 45! Right now its in the "easy" stage with all new water and perfect parameters- hopefully it'll develop the be nice and stable.

I blast my sand bed too, but nassarius are great for that. Put in some reef roids and they pop out! lol

I think those are the nassarius snails that eat food and detritus. They are awesome.

I hate nerites, too. Mine never moved, crawled out of the tank all the time, and then they eventually died in spite of having lots of algae and film to graze on. Trochus are my favs for algae.

My nerites have not climbed out, I figured they are so cheap that it is work it to try

• Like 1

seems like you and stella got possessed

I realized how to "bulk" upload photos! Just drag all of them directly from the SD card to photo bucket, and then you can select all of them rather than copy and paste one at a time.

ati%2520giesemann%2520data.png

Blue+ has more par than Coral+ apparently!

Thats all I learned from it :lol:

The coral+ have a higher par then the others I believe.... I've never used them personally and barely remember them over the 1 tank we had 1 of them on at the LFS yrs ago when they 1st came out. Its your color preference but blue+ will bring out the colors more then any of the others. I prefer a blue heavy look, and you will get better color the more blue +.

Just fire up all 6, your not going to burn anything up with downgrading from LED to T5 :lol:

Its hot! lol

Given the bulbs are so close to the water the temperature is also a consideration. STOP TELLING ME TO RUSH! :P

yet you rushed to put shit in the tank because people who lost shit rushing to transfer shit told you to rush.... its cool good luck :lol:

I waited till when I wanted to do the transfer, and then did it. Shit looks good, im happy. Some diatoms, no big deal.

I don't see the relation between that and trying 4 bulbs before 6.

+1 to this
  • Like 1

how do you like your midas blenny? personality? aggression towards its tank mates? feeding?

Um. Super cool fish that is always swimming around. Not agressive at all- sometimes the mama clownfish bullies it. In regards to feeding, it eats anything I've tried pellets to mysis to the odd chunk of reef Roids :lol:.

• Like 1

I hate Nerite Snails. They rarely move and when they do, they are climbing out the tank.

Wish I could like this more than once .

We found a closed shell about 15ft away from the tank across my dining room under a bar stool yesterday .

Damn things are useless

• Like 8

Wish I could like this more than once .

We found a closed shell about 15ft away from the tank across my dining room under a bar stool yesterday .

Damn things are useless

I remember those days :lol: I used to find them on the carpet when I had my old tank. No more of them for me.......

• Like 2

What type of Camera are you using? I'm still catching up on your thread :lol: ,

mess with the white balance use like a coffee filter and snap a picture in front and adjust accordingly, Shoot in raw, ISO keep low 100-400 and adjust photo if necessary. If you shoot in raw you will have to format the picture to jpeg though!

ati%252520giesemann%252520data.png

At what depth are those measurements? Are those for single bulbs? I know I am probably opening a can of worms but why does the PAR increase on some after 100 hour burn in? Do you have a chart comparing PAR with t5's and popular LED's?

What type of Camera are you using? I'm still catching up on your thread :lol: ,

mess with the white balance use like a coffee filter and snap a picture in front and adjust accordingly, Shoot in raw, ISO keep low 100-400 and adjust photo if necessary. If you shoot in raw you will have to format the picture to jpeg though!

Using a Canon T3i with stock lense. I take a picture of the sand for white balance, I bet something actually white will look better!

What mode should the dial be in? Sport mode?

Harry's Stupid Question Time!

Can I just mix up the sump and let all the detritus back into the tank instead of feeding reef roids at night? or is it not the proper "junk"?

• Like 1
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350