Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

People bought your equipment huh? Or traded for corals?

Nobody bought my aquarium or the Radion. Was from the extra equipment I have- light mounts, supplements, small electronics, etc and some from the ATO's in PP.

New scape...

AC3607E4-8CBF-4C7C-9633-7B682A552FE6_zps

My first tang!

4FBB8DF0-ECC1-4AA4-9731-9776F06DC53E_zps

First time I made salt water!

(Mixing 24 hours to be safe)

754712BD-3B60-4B91-AAAE-4ECC8260FBB2_zps

Now you're doing it up right! Remember when there was a big discussion about why you should just get an RODI filter and stop trucking in water form the LFS? I'll bet you don't miss that a bit :D

• Like 2

Now you're doing it up right! Remember when there was a big discussion about why you should just get an RODI filter and stop trucking in water form the LFS? I'll bet you don't miss that a bit :D

Only weird thing is that my DI resin gets used up WAY to fast given its getting 100ppm. Probably only makes 100 gallons, is that normal?

Only weird thing is that my DI resin gets used up WAY to fast given its getting 100ppm. Probably only makes 100 gallons, is that normal?

That's not normal, I get hundreds of gallons out of mine. But it does depend a lot on the quality of the water that's being filtered.

That's not normal, I get hundreds of gallons out of mine. But it does depend a lot on the quality of the water that's being filtered.

What's your TDS INTO the Di? After RO I still get around 100 going into the Di

What's your TDS INTO the Di? After RO I still get around 100 going into the Di

Depends on the RO membrane I use, the normal Spectrapure one it was about 7 TDS going into the DI. Now that I am using the Spectrapure 99.9% rejection it is like 2-3 going into the DI. I was only getting about 100 gallons out of mine until I made a few changes.

• Added booster pump, went from about 50psi to 90-100 psi
  • 99.9% rejection RO membrane
  • high-capacity DI resin

My tap water is about 240 TDS coming out of the faucet.

Depends on the RO membrane I use, the normal Spectrapure one it was about 7 TDS going into the DI. Now that I am using the Spectrapure 99.9% rejection it is like 2-3 going into the DI. I was only getting about 100 gallons out of mine until I made a few changes.

• Added booster pump, went from about 50psi to 90-100 psi
  • 99.9% rejection RO membrane
  • high-capacity DI resin
My tap water is about 240 TDS coming out of the faucet.

Wow then putting over 100 into the DI at 45psi is probably what's killing it.

Wow then putting over 100 into the DI at 45psi is probably what's killing it.

I would check your RO membrane. I use a Spectrapure at 45psi and go from 155 at tap to 3 after membrane. You should only use 0.5 micron carbon blocks and 1 micron sediment filters. My maxcap DI resin in stage 4 has lasted me 10 months and is just now needing to be replaced. Silicabuster resin in stage five should last another year or more longer than the maxcap.

• Like 1

I would check your RO membrane. I use a Spectrapure at 45psi and go from 155 at tap to 3 after membrane. You should only use 0.5 micron carbon blocks and 1 micron sediment filters. My maxcap DI resin in stage 4 has lasted me 10 months and is just now needing to be replaced. Silicabuster resin in stage five should last another year or more longer than the maxcap.

This is the "standard" BRS:

GE ROSave.Z 1 Micron Depth Filter NSF Certified

Dual BRS Universal 1 Micron Carbon Block Filter NSF Certified (35,000 Gallons Chlorine / 3,500 Gallons Chloramines)

75 GPD Dow Filmtec Membrane NSF Certified

Here's how to calculate your rejection rate from the Spectrapure manual:

Rejection of the RO Membrane Calculation Example

1. Tap water hardness = 150 ppm (X)

2. RO water hardness = 7 ppm (Y)

3. X - Y = 143 ppm

4. (X - Y) ÷ X = 143 ÷ 150 = 0.953

5. Rejection = [ ( X - Y) ÷ X ] ×100 = 0.953 ×100 = 95.3

Membrane Hardness Rejection = 95.3 % :

Rejection rates less than 95% may indicate that the membrane should be replaced. As a general rule; the RO membrane would be considered in good condition when the rejection rate is equal to or greater than 95%

You should check the condition of the sediment and charcoal filters, because if they aren't doing their job, the RO membrane will wear out too quickly. And as you've found out, if the RO membrane isn't doing it's job, the DI cartridge will be exhausted too quickly.

To check the sediment filter, measure the water pressure in and out from the filter. If there's a drop of more than 15% pressure, replace the filter.

As far as I know, the only way to check the carbon block is to test for chlorine. If you are using well water, there's no chlorine, though. I would just change it with the sediment filter.

• Like 2

How's the new tang doing?

Looks great- eating everything from algae sheets to mysis and pellets :)

3. X - Y = 143 ppm

Rejection rates less than 95% may indicate that the membrane should be replaced. As a general rule; the RO membrane would be considered in good condition when the rejection rate is equal to or greater than 95%

You should check the condition of the sediment and charcoal filters, because if they aren't doing their job, the RO membrane will wear out too quickly. And as you've found out, if the RO membrane isn't doing it's job, the DI cartridge will be exhausted too quickly.

To check the sediment filter, measure the water pressure in and out from the filter. If there's a drop of more than 15% pressure, replace the filter.

As far as I know, the only way to check the carbon block is to test for chlorine. If you are using well water, there's no chlorine, though. I would just change it with the sediment filter.

Thanks for the info- I need to get a handheld TDS meter to check the tap TDS. Or maybe just fiddle with the inline one until I get that telling me tap :lol:

• Like 2

3. X - Y = 143 ppm

+ 1 to all that. Although You know Harry is terrible with math :lol:

heres a calculator http://www.apswater.com/calcs.asp

• Like 1

By the way, is that an ammonia badge in the back?

So thats where that went! :lol:

Scape looks nice! Now start gluing shit to the rock. :)

Most are glued! Well, wedged. I sort of liked that green hammer down low, and the two frag plugs on the right front are frags that aren't doing well so were moved lower

• Like 1

very sleek but $80 for a refugium ligt...ballller

how often are you changing your filter socks? I have to change mine every 2-3 days Just wondering if that's normal

I traded Tunze ATO and some large containers of BRS stuff

Well the mesh ones need to be changed every 4 or 5 days but the cloth ones seem to flood in 2-3.

I got a thing today with store credit. Here is a hint... \'/

And wanted to share this video I found:

you got htem a leaf of lettuce?

Edit:

unless you are referring to the \'/ which looks somewhat like an mans ass.... \o/ could also be that just... yeah not a zone I want to get into... I think you bought a leaf of lettuce. kudos on the lettuce.

I traded Tunze ATO and some large containers of BRS stuff

Well the mesh ones need to be changed every 4 or 5 days but the cloth ones seem to flood in 2-3.

I use the mesh ones...and it floods in 2-3 days. Damn my tank is dirty.

you got htem a leaf of lettuce?

Edit:

unless you are referring to the \'/ which looks somewhat like an mans ass.... \o/ could also be that just... yeah not a zone I want to get into... I think you bought a leaf of lettuce. kudos on the lettuce.

A kole tank :P

DSLR picture after doing white balance for T5s

IMG_4823_zpsznvxlkrn.jpg

And whats powering the system:

IMG_4835_zpso4k5mgm5.jpg

I use the mesh ones...and it floods in 2-3 days. Damn my tank is dirty.

I don't know, you might have more fish?

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350