Cultivated Reef

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

lilmatty5dimes

My shop vac is filthy. I wouldn't want to use that in the sump...Do people buy a new shop vac just for tank ublow detritus around?

I just use the one out in the garage. I've seen some people that buy a cheap one for $25 and they use that. Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

• Like 1

OMG did you grow that big hunk of blastos????? omgomgomg It's gorgeous! And those trumpets :wub:.

haha no, i bought that a month ago as a colony. The top trumpets I did grow from like 6 heads to about 10-12 now =).

Grrrrr... Your tank already looks nicer than mine and yours is basically empty. This is bullshit lol

whatever! i wish i have awesome sticks like yours. all my SPS been looking like crap and I had to move them all back to the nano.

• Like 2

whatever! i wish i have awesome sticks like yours. all my SPS been looking like crap and I had to move them all back to the nano.

They dont really count considering all the ones that are mounted/not on the frag rack basically started that size. Local reefers in my club sure dont skimp out on frag sizes lol

Im thinking after the holidays im gonna try mounting the rest of the sticks that are sitting in the frag rack.. thatll be interesting.

And im gonna have to find a way to maintain alk as something (likely the monti caps) is drinking the alk pretty damn quick.

• Like 1

They dont really count considering all the ones that are mounted/not on the frag rack basically started that size. Local reefers in my club sure dont skimp out on frag sizes lol

Im thinking after the holidays im gonna try mounting the rest of the sticks that are sitting in the frag rack.. thatll be interesting.

And im gonna have to find a way to maintain alk as something (likely the monti caps) is drinking the alk pretty damn quick.

What's your alk at now? Mine is about 6.5 with no SPS in the tank. I also only do 10% water change every 2 weeks...I am lazy. I will have to hook up the DOS soon.

During my stint of no waterchange for 3 weeks cause of a minor dino outbreak it dropped to 5.8... i dosed some baking soda to bring it back up to 8.4 (put in my ato, brought it up over the course of 2 days) and then did a 10 gallon waterchange.. so im not sure what its at now after the WC, ill try and test before leaving for the holidays

• Like 1

During my stint of no waterchange for 3 weeks cause of a minor dino outbreak it dropped to 5.8... i dosed some baking soda to bring it back up to 8.4 (put in my ato, brought it up over the course of 2 days) and then did a 10 gallon waterchange.. so im not sure what its at now after the WC, ill try and test before leaving for the holidays

I want to keep mine around 7 - 8. Your SPS must be sucking up alk like crazy.

Wow tank looks freaking awesome! So jealous of the size... A large Red Sea reefer is my dream haha

Thanks! If you run out of room in your tank, send those RFAs over =P.

• Like 2

I want to keep mine around 7 - 8. Your SPS must be sucking up alk like crazy.

Ultimately i want to keep mine around 9ish, give or take. I think itll get a little better growth without being on the knifes edge of disaster lol

20151222_172032_zpso5xopcb0.jpg

I have a few of them in there now so i guess its a possibility lol all the first ones i put in the tank have encrusted and attached to the live rock, the green slimer has probably the size of a nickle around the base (hard to photograph) so things are definately growing.

• Like 2

Hey Ninja, were you ever able to get the ipad simulator to work? :)

no =(. i looked into it and only certain apps are available on the emulator and the Kessil one is not on it. But they should be releasing the Android app before end of the year.

Ultimately i want to keep mine around 9ish, give or take. I think itll get a little better growth without being on the knifes edge of disaster lol

20151222_172032_zpso5xopcb0.jpg

I have a few of them in there now so i guess its a possibility lol all the first ones i put in the tank have encrusted and attached to the live rock, the green slimer has probably the size of a nickle around the base (hard to photograph) so things are definately growing.

very nice. you just need more fish!

• Like 1

no =(. i looked into it and only certain apps are available on the emulator and the Kessil one is not on it. But they should be releasing the Android app before end of the year.

very nice. you just need more fish!

Planning on it! Right now the list includes a starry blenny, a tomini tang Or a Kole tang (undecided), a second clownfish and maybe a couple of helfrichis fire fish or a 6 line wrasse

Planning on it! Right now the list includes a starry blenny, a tomini tang Or a Kole tang (undecided), a second clownfish and maybe a couple of helfrichis fire fish or a 6 line wrasse

a couple of helfrichis? baller $$$$. I want a second tang too. I love watching the yellow cruise around the tank so much.

• Like 1

I think one of the LFS's around here can get them in for $65 a pop. Which i would be willing to do. If theyre the typical 100-120 i see them for online... ill have to think a while before i do that lol

• Like 1

I really like the scapes in both your new tanks!!! Your place is so awesomely spacious!

heh, wide angle lens make it look bigger than it is =P

Amazing pictures! How do you get your dogs and fish to pose like that?

greenies and mysis!

• Like 2

My goal is to have a nice enough tank to not need a television. So I can get a nice fancy couch and have it face the tank. :P

I need to get a sitting chair to face the tank haha. I also need to hang something on the wall by the tank. Looks so empty.

• Like 1

My goal is to have a nice enough tank to not need a television. So I can get a nice fancy couch and have it face the tank. :P

My wife made me choose between a fish tank or TV. Now I just have a reef tank.

• Like 3