SaltCritters.com

Kimber's tank is getting swapped!

kimberbee

We're having a stupid issue with the fact that the old hardwood floor in the spare room isn't completely flat or level. <_<

I was also going to take a spare piece of plywood to try the stain out out, but it was stepped on with a muddy paw. <_<

But my top is going to be in next weekend so I really need to try and stain Saturday/Sunday!!

Good luck! What kind of top did you end up getting?

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in a funk with work and I haven't worked on the stand in a few weeks.

I thought I ordered a counter top from Menards, but I wasn't told I needed to PAY before they actually ordered it. I just assumed I would pay upon pickup.

So I'm 2-3 weeks out before I can finish the stand and I had wanted to start cycling water in 2 weeks.

:unsure:

I too have a case of the i-don't-wanna's. :(

I've been unhappy with my job for a while, but last week it just really hit me. We were only given very short notice that reviews were happening "sometime in the next week or two" but only given a day to come up with our goals for the next year. And then the morning of our reviews we were told only half an hour before they started. Worst review I've ever had. Very discouraging and very contradicting - I'm doing great but need to do better with no solid examples, huh? They're also giving me more tasks to do that I just don't want, and raises may or may not happen, but we won't be told if they are not happening because they might happen eventually, what?

I'm unambitious and maybe a little lazy. I can own up to that. I don't want to be a manager, I don't want to handle super important things. I also don't expect to make it rich that way. I just want to do what I'm told, make my money, and GTFO at the end of the day. This is just really really not what I want to be doing and I don't know how I'm going to get out.

I was at a restaurant for lunch one time, they had those paper squares that they put on the tablecloth to save the linens. And they had crayons. As I was walking to my table saw more than a few "I hate my job" or "work sux". I think finding something that you enjoy doing is important, but it's also elusive like the unicorn.

I've been unhappy with my job for a while, but last week it just really hit me. We were only given very short notice that reviews were happening "sometime in the next week or two" but only given a day to come up with our goals for the next year. And then the morning of our reviews we were told only half an hour before they started. Worst review I've ever had. Very discouraging and very contradicting - I'm doing great but need to do better with no solid examples, huh? They're also giving me more tasks to do that I just don't want, and raises may or may not happen, but we won't be told if they are not happening because they might happen eventually, what?

I'm unambitious and maybe a little lazy. I can own up to that. I don't want to be a manager, I don't want to handle super important things. I also don't expect to make it rich that way. I just want to do what I'm told, make my money, and GTFO at the end of the day. This is just really really not what I want to be doing and I don't know how I'm going to get out.

Just quit! Seriously the best thing I ever did was leaving my old miserable job. You dont have a mortgage, kids or a car payment. This is the time to do it. Dont wait ten years. Yeah it sucked being out of work and looking for a new job. But now I have a job I enjoy and other opportunities are now opening up. If Illinois is anything like CA. you should get unemployment, I told the unemployment that it was a hostile work environment.

Just quit! Seriously the best thing I ever did was leaving my old miserable job. You dont have a mortgage, kids or a car payment. This is the time to do it. Dont wait ten years. Yeah it sucked being out of work and looking for a new job. But now I have a job I enjoy and other opportunities are now opening up. If Illinois is anything like CA. you should get unemployment, I told the unemployment that it was a hostile work environment.

True on most points, no mortgage, my rent will be dropping to $400 in April, no kids, but if I have them, that's gonna happen within the next 10 years, the only thing is the car. Ponticrap won't last much longer. Driver's side speakers went out this weekend, and the radio signal isn't quite right...

Anyway, Nick and I talked a little this weekend about me going back for a technical writing degree - I had applied about 3 years ago and was rejected so I just dropped it. We looked into costs though, and around here it would be $75-$70k for 4 years full-time. He made it sound like I could quit work to go to school, get a part time job to try to pay off some loans early, and he'd cover the rest. No way I can ask him to do that.

However, a Meeting Planner certificate (my favorite part about my old job) would be about $6k and only take a year. That's a little easier to swallow and accept help with. But I still may have to quite my job (oh darn...)

The whole thing just gets very frustrating every few months, so I'm just overall in a really sour mood. At least I got my counter top re-ordered form Menards for the new stand. I'm just really behind on getting everything done. It's not sanded or stained yet, and I need to start moving things over in a few weeks. So much for taking time to move the tanks. I have a feeling it's going to be a one day thing... :scarry:

Rent being lower, you'll cover that $6K in tuition so much quicker Kimber. Even with a change of car - it's one year tuition vs 4. If it feels right, plan it out and go for it. Sancho is right, the time is now.

Congrats on the new job! I'm so glad it's something you like.

Rent being lower, you'll cover that $6K in tuition so much quicker Kimber. Even with a change of car - it's one year tuition vs 4. If it feels right, plan it out and go for it. Sancho is right, the time is now.

Hoping to have a meeting with one of the department heads either tomorrow or next Wednesday. The wheels are in motion.

Just quit!

I'll probably suck it up for 6 more months. Maybe 5.5. Make what I can, save what I can, and then they can suck it.

Hopefully. I still need to have this info meeting...

In tank news, it's should be in the 50's this weekend. Saturday sand and stain. Hopefully Sunday polyurethane and top.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Kimber, anything new with this lately?! :happy:

Yes updates needed B)

Hope all is well you have not been on lately.......don't make us bust out the feet pictures ;) Sancho might have to post a flip flop pic :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kimber, anything new with this lately?! :happy:

Yes updates needed B)

Hope all is well you have not been on lately.......don't make us bust out the feet pictures ;) Sancho might have to post a flip flop pic :lol:

No worries I'm still here! Just haven't had time for Nano Reef lately... -_-

The stand is at least functional!!

Stained a dark brown-reddish color. Added 6 coats (I did very thin coats) of poly. Last week I added the counter top, only to realize that it was slightly bowed and not flat. Ugh. But it's glued in place and the tank is sitting on top. Looks really nice.

We just haven't gotten around to adding the towel bar, drop leaf shelf, or door. Nor have I made a decision on the handle...

I may be moving everything over in 2 weeks-ish. :scarry:

Yeah no kidding she goes MIA on us......so where are the pics?

Here's all I got. Just after staining. I'll get more this weekend.

25999693546_88fb12bec8.jpg

Looking good Ponticrap.

No more Ponticrap... well, actually, it's just been sitting in the lot for the past 2 weeks unmoved...

Old and new

26000376646_08e653bdca.jpg

Kimberrrrrrrrrrr

Wanna see my toes? :wub:

Well, if they are YOUR toes... :flower:

NO!! I don't like ANYONE'S toes!! :P

Archived