ReefCleaners.org

Kimber's tank is getting swapped!

kimberbee

That is a genius idea. When I go to build my stand I think i'm going to put in a lot of shelves for organization separated similarly.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that cart idea! Is it easy to wheel around, doesn't tip over?

Very easy to wheel around, even on carpet. It's all metal, so it's very sturdy and I doubt it would tip.

Loving my new little cart!! I want to cover it in awesome reef related magnets! Oh, actually, I have a Cancun dolphin my co-worker gave to me a few years ago. I think I'll take it home with me!

23631966610_b335a0cb78_z.jpg

Top bin for foods and supplements

23559777889_f39b7a2660_z.jpg

Middle bin for cleaning and fragging supplies - I need to get a few nice jars to hold things instead of solo cups

23845185031_050b9bb33a_z.jpg

Bottom for test kits, spare parts, etc...

23300859223_241f0b24f4_z.jpg

Yep, I need one of these for sure!

Have you been to an Ikea?? We could go next time you're around!

I actually went there for the first time back in October. It certainly is an interesting experience for sure! I think there is one fairly close to me? That basket in the top, did that come with it?

I actually went there for the first time back in October. It certainly is an interesting experience for sure! I think there is one fairly close to me? That basket in the top, did that come with it?

Nope, the clear plastic organizer I bought for $3 at Ikea. I want to get a couple jars (cause glass is easier to clean) to replace the solo cups. I think I can probably go to the dollar store for those.

I brought my cat to my BF's place this weekend. First time overnight with the cat and dogs together and all went really well!! Dogs are still curious and my cat just wants to be left alone. Great news is that no one wants to kill anyone else. :)

I brought the over-sized litter box that's going to go into the stand too, fits perfectly!!! However, when carrying it back home it cracked on one side. It's a few years old, so even though I always use a liner, I think I will just replace it when I move.

Really need to get going with the stand. I have 4 months until my lease is up, so 3 months until I need to start filling the tank!!

Just got back from Menards - plywood, support wood, and screws purchased.

Tomorrow we are adding a plywood bottom and the electronics shelf. Unfortunately we have to do all the work in the garage. Hopefully the heater decides to work...

fingerscrossed

Just got back from Menards - plywood, support wood, and screws purchased.

Tomorrow we are adding a plywood bottom and the electronics shelf. Unfortunately we have to do all the work in the garage. Hopefully the heater decides to work...

fingerscrossed

I had to build mine in the garage also.....now the garage is coated in dust :( I wish it was warm out.......

Got a decent amount done on the stand today!!

Plywood bottom added...

23512452123_b5e70f18d8_z.jpg

Shelf support and shelf added...

24139262165_0dde721403_z.jpg

24056638241_cb65661ee7_z.jpg

24056638231_43846ca2d3_z.jpg

And since the bottom will be holding a litter box, I wanted to seal everything with caulk...

24113145326_d2d13ecb52_z.jpg

23843597480_e97b98eef4_z.jpg

This way no dust, litter, or kitty accidents will ruin the stand. Later this week, I'll be painting the bottom and inside with a thick coat of latex paint. I'll be doing at least 2, maybe 3, possibly 4 coats. I want the bottom sealed really, really well.

I would consider going for an oil based paint over a coat of primer instead of latex paint - it takes longer to dry, but will be more durable in the long run.

I would consider going for an oil based paint over a coat of primer instead of latex paint - it takes longer to dry, but will be more durable in the long run.

Latex paint is already purchased, so hopefully whatever Dutch Boy paint I got will be durable enough. Really, the litter box I got takes up the whole bottom, so there will be minimal spillage. The inside dimensions of the stand were based on the litter box. I just want to be able to take a sponge and wipe out the inside every couple of months or as needed. I figure that will be easier on a painted surface rather than raw wood.

Thanks for the input though!

That stand is coming along and looking good. That will be very nice and I am sure you can't wait to see a tank on top and a kitty litter box inside, ha ha!

Absolutely. Any paint or even just some poly will be a million times better than the raw wood.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Painted one coat on the entire inside of the stand last night. Will do a second coat Tuesday or Thursday. The bottom will get 3-4 more coats between now and Saturday.

23543693413_2986c8ee09_z.jpg

Looks good!

Have you figured out the skin yet? I see you have a piece of ply there. If so paint the inside of that before you put it together it will make it a little easier. Then put it together and caulk the seems and then one last coat and you will have a pretty solid litter box ;)

Looks good!

Have you figured out the skin yet? I see you have a piece of ply there. If so paint the inside of that before you put it together it will make it a little easier. Then put it together and caulk the seems and then one last coat and you will have a pretty solid litter box ;)

Yup, that's the middle shelf. I just didn't paint it last night cause I was getting tired and I didn't want to make mistakes. I'm thinking of skinning with a nice dark stained wood - I'd really like to do walnut.

Black counter top. Granite is too expensive, laminate looks to cheap. I'm thinking of going custom ordered Corintian from Menards.

Have you looked into the granite? You might get lucky and find a drop or something.

I know my sink area in mine would cover the top for a IM 20.

Have you looked into the granite? You might get lucky and find a drop or something.

I know my sink area in mine would cover the top for a IM 20.

I've still got a few weeks to look around. I need a 26x26in piece and Menards sells for $40/sq ft. I called two granite places that quoted me at $150-170.

Also dark wood suggestions welcome. It looks like Menards sells the walnut for $110 for a 4x8 piece. Seems a little pricey, though I'm likely to have this set up for 5 years, so I do want it to look the best.

I'm going for this look:

24172703975_5ba3fca7af.jpg

Im not trying to be an ass. although I see a few minor issues. Why do you have the 2 2x4's in the middle on one side? Also I would put 4 2x4's in each corner in between the top and bottom to prevent racking. Although if its skinned properly that should work. If the above is your goal spend the extra cash and buy your skin wood from a specialty hardwood store.

23543693413_2986c8ee09_z_zpsnlaqgvlb.jpe

Im not trying to be an ass. although I see a few minor issues. Why do you have the 2 2x4's in the middle on one side? Also I would put 4 2x4's in each corner in between the top and bottom to prevent racking. Although if its skinned properly that should work. If the above is your goal spend the extra cash and buy your skin wood from a specialty hardwood store.

The 2 2x4's are on the back of the stand, the side that will face the wall. They were put there because I had planned on mounting my power strips there. I want to mount the power strips to 2x4's cause that's just the way I want to do it. I also forgot you had suggested adding the 2x4's between the top and bottom...

Thanks for the picture!

I wouldn't bother with a full piece of anything under the tank except for the plywood (and paint it black) - it's all going to be hidden. Once the tank is in place, just picture frame around it on the front and sides (back if necessary( and you will have a completely built in look. After you cut the wood to size, pre-finish it, attach it, and then run a thin bead of clear silicone around the perimeter to keep any water from getting between the tank and the wood.

The look you're going for is called frame and panel and you can't do that with plywood. You could get a router and a rabbeting bit and do a recessed panel. Or get a sheet of birch plywood, some poplar 1x2s and some molding and make it look like a recessed panel. If you want to do a true frame and panel, you'll need a router table and router (or shaper), cope an stick bits, a raised panel bit, etc. and then about double the amount of wood to practice on if you've never done it before.

If you ever make it down to St. Louis, bring the stand and I'd be happy to do it all for you...this is my fishroom/office:

10917304_10153049233834255_4766375103089

Archived