Cultivated Reef

Kimber's tank is getting swapped!

kimberbee

so the subaru is new???

Yep, the Ponticrap crapped out on me two weeks ago. I was driving to my place from Nick's to check on my cat last Friday. I was at a stop sign about to turn left into traffic. The engine overheated and crapped out. Luckily I was right next to a gas station and was able to coast into a spot.

Nick's been trying to fix little things here and there for me - replaced spark plugs, power steering pump, water pump. He was going to replace a strut for me that weekend. He believes that the overheating has been an ongoing issue we were unaware of since the temp gauge has been whack for a long time. I decided that an 18 year old car is just not worth the hassle of replacing part after part after part.

5 seconds later and it would have died as I was turning onto a busy street...

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a really old Chrysler Lebaron while in college. It would stall for no reason all the time. I was driving one day and about to turn at a stop light and it died in the middle of the turn. Luckily, it wasn't a busy intersection (small college town) and just like you there was a gas station at the corner.

Glad you got a new car and a Subaru too. Don't have to worry about Chicago winter anymore! And it looks sharp. The rims...so nice.

the crapping out depends on more than just how old the car is I think, it's history for example. Part by part replacement has got to be annoying. But I don't know anything about anything about cars. So. Carry on. :)

Rims you said? Cool.

rickztahone

Yep, the Ponticrap crapped out on me two weeks ago. I was driving to my place from Nick's to check on my cat last Friday. I was at a stop sign about to turn left into traffic. The engine overheated and crapped out. Luckily I was right next to a gas station and was able to coast into a spot.

Nick's been trying to fix little things here and there for me - replaced spark plugs, power steering pump, water pump. He was going to replace a strut for me that weekend. He believes that the overheating has been an ongoing issue we were unaware of since the temp gauge has been whack for a long time. I decided that an 18 year old car is just not worth the hassle of replacing part after part after part.

5 seconds later and it would have died as I was turning onto a busy street...

May have been an easy fix. The thermostat probably stayed stuck in the on position. Less than a $20 fix. May be good to fix it and sell it :)

Here's all I got. Just after staining. I'll get more this weekend.

25999693546_88fb12bec8.jpg

Better get more I come home click on NR and 25 notifications.......I think 22 were for Kimber :lol: see if I subscribe to another thread.......

That's the first thing dudes notice... :rolleyes:

Define rims :lol:

May have been an easy fix. The thermostat probably stayed stuck in the on position. Less than a $20 fix. May be good to fix it and sell it :)

Maybe, maybe not. It's leaking dark fluid from the front. It's kind of funny, everywhere I normally park, there's a big dark stain. You can tell I always picked the same spot at the train station. :blush:

I'm happy with my new car anyway.

Here, Sancho...

26011320776_91135592b3_z.jpg

where did you get the rock????

I think it is one from alternative reef that is no longer made. It is one of the magnetic ones.

I think it is one from alternative reef that is no longer made. It is one of the magnetic ones.

i been thinking about getting the smallest frag rack I can and mount some monti on there or an SPS

where did you get the rock????

Bought it off of DZ. Hoping it'll make a nice SPS ledge!

Looks great! Is the litter box working out?

I brought my cat over last night. The room was just too much of a mess to have him over sooner - he gets into everything!!

He's been using it just fine, which I wasn't worried about. We just don't have the door on yet until he's really used to it.

Omg hooray so many updates, I'm happy to see the progress on the stand - the top (marble?) is beautiful!! Wow!! It's going to be incredible!!

Also .. a Subaru XV!!!! Such an awesome car, very very very nice upgrade - you will not be disappointed whatsoever I think!!! :D

Hope you're having a nice Easter weekend my friend!

Looks great!!! are you worried about having litter and the stuff that goes in it so close to the tank? I was reading about someone getting ammonia readings possibly from their cat box.

Omg hooray so many updates, I'm happy to see the progress on the stand - the top (marble?) is beautiful!! Wow!! It's going to be incredible!!

Also .. a Subaru XV!!!! Such an awesome car, very very very nice upgrade - you will not be disappointed whatsoever I think!!! :D

Hope you're having a nice Easter weekend my friend!

So far I looooove the car. I'm really happy with it!

That looks friggin sweet.

Thanks!

soooo when do we get more pics of the car? =P

I'll get some soon. I have gone 350 miles and still have 1/4 tank left. The car tells me I can still go another 120 or so!! Two weeks between fill-ups is nice! ;)

Looks great!!! are you worried about having litter and the stuff that goes in it so close to the tank? I was reading about someone getting ammonia readings possibly from their cat box.

I'm not too worried, but if it seems to effect the tank I will come up with a plan B. I'm good about scooping every other day, new litter every 2 weeks (I use a plastic liner), and wiping out the box (cause sometimes his claws do rip the liner) once a month at least. I'm also considering not adding the door, to keep everything aired out.

The fuel economy is the best it's ever been in Subaru's with this new generation! I'm getting.. Hmm, I don't know the American equivalent but roughly 600km's on a full tank (50 liters) of gas! My previous 2013 Subaru was about 400km's on full tank, and the one I had prior to that (1995 Subaru) was 300km's a tank!

Very impressive for an AWD beast of a car!! :D So happy for you!! Sorry to be off-topic in your thread, I could go for days on this stuff haha!

Well, due to timing and the fact that I only have 4 weekends left to get out of my apartment, it looks like I’m doing the tank move this weekend!

The plan is to move everything over all at once, yikes!

This week I need to make a double batch of water. That way I will have 8 gallons of saltwater, and 10 gallons of ro/di on standby.

Saturday morning will start with a trip to the LFS for new sand, to be put in the bottom of the tanks (this one and a 10 gallon to replace my fusion 20) before I get things started.

I’ll head to the apartment and put smaller frags into Ziploc bags with as little water as possible and transport in 2 smaller buckets. Larger frags or “sharper” items will go into 5 gallon buckets, covered with water. I am thinking of making eggcrate shelves to fit into 2 buckets so I can have multiple layers of corals and probably fish. 2 more 5 gallon buckets will hold my rocks and more water.

Once I get everything to the house I’ll work backwards putting everything back in. Rocks, water, corals, fish. Adding the extra water as I need to.

ANYONE SEE A FLAW IN THIS PLAN?!?! I’m so nervous!

They totally still make the magnetic frag rack, it's their signature product. They had a shortage of magnets so production had slowed for a bit. Now InTank carries them too.

GOOD LUCK KIMBERBEE!

Archived