Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kimber's tank is getting swapped!

kimberbee

The look you're going for is called frame and panel and you can't do that with plywood.

I meant color-wise.

Dark wood, black top.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see you found out the hard way about Horrible Freights cheap tools. A word of caution to anyone using their tools, be VERY careful and ALWAYS wear eye protection. A year ago the nut on one of their strut spring compressors came of and hit me in the gentleman's region and I was not happy. The threads just stripped right out of the nut and it came apart and nailed me. I only use WIHA bits, if they do break, they don't send shrapnel out like a hand grenade.

Tank looks damn snappy too, I've been looking for a 45 cube for my ritteri. We already have a 60 and 93 cube.

Got the plywood for the sides yesterday. But instead of helping me cut the wood, my BF has been on the phone all morning for work. :(

He does get the day off tomorrow, so hopefully he can get the sides cut and attached for me. I picked out some hinges and a magnetic closure as well. I'll have to decide what kind of handle to add. I could get a fancy decorative one, a plain circle knob (which I already have), or a bar type handle.

I also need to decide if I want to add trim to the bottom, and get the counter top ordered. I was going to go with a Corinthian top from Menards, but it would cost the same ($200) as a granite top from a custom shop in the area. So I am now debating on getting a regular laminate counter top, which would be less than half the cost.

Maybe look and see if you can get some butcher block. I know it is not granite but might be an option. I found my piece on craigslist for 20 bucks. Remember the only part of the top you will see is the edges......Good luck with the sides today.

Maybe look and see if you can get some butcher block. I know it is not granite but might be an option. I found my piece on craigslist for 20 bucks. Remember the only part of the top you will see is the edges......Good luck with the sides today.

Here's the fun part... the doorway is 26 inches wide, the stand pre-skinned is 25 inches wide, the plywood will make the stand 25 1/2 inches wide. I wanted the top to overlap 1/2 to 1 inch on each side.

This means that the top will have to be added to the stand once it's already in the room, and if it needs to be moved, we will have to take the top off. Didn't even think of that when planning the tank...

Here's the fun part... the doorway is 26 inches wide, the stand pre-skinned is 25 inches wide, the plywood will make the stand 25 1/2 inches wide. I wanted the top to overlap 1/2 to 1 inch on each side.

This means that the top will have to be added to the stand once it's already in the room, and if it needs to be moved, we will have to take the top off. Didn't even think of that when planning the tank...

Well at least you caught that one before you built it. If going with stone just use some silicone to hold it down. The tank once filed will do the job and if you ever do have to move it the top will come off easy.

On mine I think I just have a few screws holding it.

So I really hate those dumb suction cups that hold return pumps to the bottom of the tank. I've already broken 2 of the 4 on the bottom of the pump that came with the IM 40. As in, the plastic piece that holds the suction cup in has broken off the corner.

Can I take the other two suction cups off and use something else to cushion the bottom of the tank? Like a silicone trivet or jar opener?

You can use a silicon mat like this one: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Silicone-Drying-Square/dp/B002UTG7WY

They're easy to find at bed bath and beyond and probably target or walmart too.

BRS did a blog on reducing vibration from pumps, I think that's where I saw it.

Oh, and on the handle for the cabinet, spend a couple dollars extra and get a fancy one. Find something you like looking at and that fits nicely in your hand. Since you're only buying one, the cost is nothing compared to what you're already spending (seriously, $200 for a top you'll never see because it's UNDER THE TANK?), and you will look at it and use it every day.

:)

So I really hate those dumb suction cups that hold return pumps to the bottom of the tank. I've already broken 2 of the 4 on the bottom of the pump that came with the IM 40. As in, the plastic piece that holds the suction cup in has broken off the corner.

Can I take the other two suction cups off and use something else to cushion the bottom of the tank? Like a silicone trivet or jar opener?

I took the suction cups out and just have the pumps hanging, it's silent.

Oh damn... If this little octopus hanger wasn't so expensive and small, I would have to consider it instead of a towel bar!!

I think I might buy new ocean themed towels to use for tank maintenance instead of the old discolored orange towels I use now. Then I also wouldn't have to worry about anyone using them as dog towels later. Plus, they would look nice when hanging on my stand...

Oh damn... If this little octopus hanger wasn't so expensive and small, I would have to consider it instead of a towel bar!!

I think I might buy new ocean themed towels to use for tank maintenance instead of the old discolored orange towels I use now. Then I also wouldn't have to worry about anyone using them as dog towels later. Plus, they would look nice when hanging on my stand...

Enjoyed reading up on your thread- ya - good catch on the top and not attaching it outside of the room. That little octopus is sweet ? never have enough towels that's for sure. I drive my wife nuts filling up the laundry room with wet saltwater towels

My BF worked really really hard yesterday and skinned my stand for me. The only thing left for him to cut is the door. But he needed a break and it was dinner time.

No pics, cause it's all dusty and dirty. I'll clean it up and post pics later tonight! :happydance:

I dunno what happened the past few weeks but I've actually been really busy - at home and at work. I owe pictures of my tanks and the new stand.

Only 2 more rent checks till I move in with my BF. :happydance:

I dunno what happened the past few weeks but I've actually been really busy - at home and at work. I owe pictures of my tanks and the new stand.

Only 2 more rent checks till I move in with my BF. :happydance:

Yay! And yes we need updeets pls!

:)

I say get the seahorse!

Of course you would! :happy:

I am leaning towards the stingray or octopus. They are rather expensive little knobs, so I'm having a hard time committing to one.

I'll likely stain this weekend, and if my BF has time (he might try to install a new furnace/ac for his parents!! this weekend) he'll get the door cut and hung!!

Archived