ReefCleaners.org

Hypes Final Nano Bommie

Rehype

Thanks bud!Hows everything?

Thanks so much nano. I believe your right for both. I have another frag of lps I could use your help with an ID. Mind taking a stab at it?

Great! Just finished moving everything over to a new setup from the Fusion. Been pretty busy with the baby and school but will be working on some pics for the dormant thread :D Had an issue with flatworms but think we got em all with the juice. I currently am in the middle of planning a vivarium (as if I had a lot of free time). Keep the pics coming with the tubes... you have peaked my interest for sure!

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, just post a pic.

So what do you think nano?

22058409483_5c0fe2242b.jpg

Great! Just finished moving everything over to a new setup from the Fusion. Been pretty busy with the baby and school but will be working on some pics for the dormant thread :D Had an issue with flatworms but think we got em all with the juice. I currently am in the middle of planning a vivarium (as if I had a lot of free time). Keep the pics coming with the tubes... you have peaked my interest for sure!

Thats great to hear and will do. Id like to see a thread on this new build :D

Hmmm, that's a tough/interesting one without being able to see the skeleton. Based on the colonial nature (many mouths) and tentacles which are similar to the Plate Coral (Fungia) family, my guess is that it could be one of the only two colonial plate coral varieties: Lithophyllon or Podabacia.

Ignoring the obvious color differences, compare the RR Ironman 'Unknown' (suspected to be a Lithophyllon) morphology with your specimen:

yr-ironman-unknown-3-4-1-a5304-700x700.j

Of interest is that both have the similar trait of a different colored tip compared to the rest of the tentacle. Note also that an area directly around the mouth is similarly devoid of tentacles in both.

Note: Credit for RR Ironman pic to Mirya (from her NR 'Mirya's Mini Garden - Nuevo 8' thread)

Whatever it is...it's really nice :)

Hmmm, that's a tough/interesting one without being able to see the skeleton. Based on the colonial nature (many mouths) and tentacles which are similar to the Plate Coral (Fungia) family, my guess is that it could be one of the only two colonial plate coral varieties: Lithophyllon or Podabacia.

Ignoring the obvious color differences, compare the RR Ironman 'Unknown' (suspected to be a Lithophyllon) morphology with your specimen:

Of interest is that both have the similar trait of a different colored tip compared to the rest of the tentacle. Note also that an area directly around the mouth is similarly devoid of tentacles in both.

Note: Credit for RR Ironman pic to Mirya (from her NR 'Mirya's Mini Garden - Nuevo 8' thread)

Thanks for that ID I totally agree with your observations. It definitely seems to of the Lithophyllon variety. One of the interesting things about this coral is as it spreads the base is bright green the same color as the speckles around the mouth.

Yup, that's a real nice color combo there.

I have RR Ironman in my tank and it's very hardy, eats anything large or small and grows fast. It's quite interesting to see it tackle a large piece of food as all the mouths nearby work together to inhale/digest the meal. I have it in a higher flow area in medium light, so the tentacles aren't as thick/extended as they could be and it's growth form is a bit more convoluted (typical of faster flow growth). These guys seem to be very adaptable.

Thats great to hear and will do. Id like to see a thread on this new build :D

That is cool! I'm with Nano -- I thought of Ironman Unknown immediately looking at it too.

Yup, that's a real nice color combo there.

I have RR Ironman in my tank and it's very hardy, eats anything large or small and grows fast. It's quite interesting to see it tackle a large piece of food as all the mouths nearby work together to inhale/digest the meal. I have it in a higher flow area in medium light, so the tentacles aren't as thick/extended as they could be and it's growth form is a bit more convoluted (typical of faster flow growth). These guys seem to be very adaptable.

Thanks thats really good to know. So far its been growing really fast but ill definitely try to target feed it a bit more. It getting alot of flow and medium light where it currently located and its already doubled in size.

I have one more ID I could use your help with...sps this time. Up for it?

pretty!

Thanks fm! Its even prettier than I thought now that I got to see it up close.. Im in love with those neon freckles :happy:

That is cool! I'm with Nano -- I thought of Ironman Unknown immediately looking at it too.

Thanks mirya!

I really like how dramatic your pictures turn out. I spend so much time trying to get every exact detail to come out, when maybe I shouldn't. I'll have to PM you sometime for macro critiques. :P

Thanks bunster im a huge fan of your pics as well

So what do you think?

22699408306_60af9881d2_c.jpg

Hmmmm, hee'in-and-a-haw'in...
My first impression is some type of 'Deepwater' Acro due to the long, tubular corallites and the semi 'tucked-in' polyps.
Similar to something like A. loripes or even A. echinata, perhaps?
I think this one needs more growth to be able to get closer, but then Acropora ID is not my strongest suit. Looks like it's going to be a forest of branches soon! :)

I really like how dramatic your pictures turn out. I spend so much time trying to get every exact detail to come out, when maybe I shouldn't. I'll have to PM you sometime for macro critiques. :P

Thanks man.. well just shoot me a pm ill help in whatever way I can

Hmmmm, heey'in-and-a-haw'in...
My first impression is some type of 'Deepwater' Acro due to the long, tubular corallites and the semi 'tucked-in' polyps.
Similar to something like A. loripes or even A. echinata, perhaps?
I think this one needs more growth to be able to get closer, but then Acropora ID is not my strongest suit. Looks like it's going to be a forest of branches soon! :)

Thanks for the input nano. I agree with you this is frag is still too immature to be certain but im loving the way its branching in the meantime. It would look really cool if it kept growing in this fashion.

I used to have a link to a site that had huge library of Acro skeletons which helped tremendously in IDing different species. Sometimes you really need to look at the corallite structure with a magnifying glass to make a positive ID.

So just wanted to give smiz another shoutout for doing such an amazing job on my custom acrylic cover. I made a mistake on my original cover and smiz was kind enough to correct it for me free of charge however UPS damaged the unit in shipping. So smiz took it to another level and created a new one for me from scratch and this time we decided to black it out B) Thanks again man

22217423443_b6c3bd1352.jpg22849737521_8941bb23c3.jpg

Your tanks are always great man. How deep of a sb do you need for the nem? Been loading mine up with RFA's a maxi and a blood red, think that tube nem would be a nice contrast if it can work.

Top looks real nice. Smiz is currently working on mine. Have to wait a bit though. Doing an etched black insert and waiting to see if the etching will work out. Def great to work with though.

That is a nice cover! I know that acrylic has a tendency to warp when exposed to high moisture and not fully supported, so do you anticipate this at all? Perhaps the thickness is sufficient to negate this?

Your tanks are always great man. How deep of a sb do you need for the nem? Been loading mine up with RFA's a maxi and a blood red, think that tube nem would be a nice contrast if it can work.

Top looks real nice. Smiz is currently working on mine. Have to wait a bit though. Doing an etched black insert and waiting to see if the etching will work out. Def great to work with though.

Thanks alot I really appreciate it. Well its recommended to have a deep sandbed of at least 3" but ive found that dont need that much at all to thrive. In reality if you can cover their tube completely with sand they are perfectly happy. The one thing ill mention is at night their tentacles extend tremendously so make sure you give them alot of room away from other corals.

Thanks mine id like to see how yours come out. I was interested in that design as well but wasnt sure if it was going to work out in time for my upcoming fish arrival.

That is a nice cover! I know that acrylic has a tendency to warp when exposed to high moisture and not fully supported, so do you anticipate this at all? Perhaps the thickness is sufficient to negate this?

Thanks nano! My thoughts mirror yours in the thickness of the acrylic should prevent this from occurring which was confirmed by smiz.

Love your pics. Wish I was as skilled with camera

Thanks man...I think your pics look great.

Heres a pic of it on top of the tank.....It came just in time I finally have a special newcomer to the tank :happy::ninja:

22230891534_734069d869.jpg

I'm really liking the black edge as it blends really nice with the rimless. NICE!

I'm really liking the black edge as it blends really nice with the rimless. NICE!

Thanks stella! I thought so too... it also matches the black seams of the elos nicely

Thanks stella! I thought so too... it also matches the black seams of the elos nicely

I'm thinking of doing the same!! So I'm loving the ability to see this on your tank and how nice it looks. Smiz does nice work. And it's a beautiful tank to top :)

I'm thinking of doing the same!! So I'm loving the ability to see this on your tank and how nice it looks. Smiz does nice work. And it's a beautiful tank to top :)

Thanks so much stella! :) I think one would look great on your tank...best part is smiz will totally customize it to your specs. He really takes alot of pride in his work and it shows.

Whatever it is...it's really nice :)

Someone has what looks to be very similar for sale on SCR...they're calling it Jason Fox freak hair pavona and that it has a low light preference.

Their pic

IMG_6668_zpszco3db5h.jpg

Archived