Pod Your Reef

####### Fatass Challenge

evanski

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You and I did? Or you and Lawn do? I'm happy to be in the middle :)

We do we do, we totally do. Imma show you this weekend, ;)

We all expect pictures!

As of this am I am now -3.2 lbs! Yay!

For breakfast I tried out a new little yogurt bar

Lunch was shepherds pie leftovers, grapes, and 4 crackers with some cheese spread on them

For supper I made chicken and shrimp curry over rice, dessert was a tiny cheesecake Popsicle that I made!

Is it too late to join? I know it's never too late to get in shape :) I read the first 10 pages and then skipped to the end :blush:

I just finished my proposal for work, so my nights of working until 3 AM are over for a while. And a LOT of Girl Scout cookies made the ultimate sacrifice for this proposal. As a result, I could stand to lose about 10 or 15 pounds.

As of this morning (Monday), I weighed in at 181. I'm 5'8" and 51 years old. Haven't been to the gym in a year, so I'm going to start going back this week.

F### it. I'm giving up this week and therefore starting up again after Labor Day. It's gonna be 90 today, high 80's the rest of the week, meaning I can't go out for my lunch walk all this week. And I have family stuff (niece is visiting from Europe) to take care of most of my evenings so I won't be doing much physical activity then either.

Or, does anyone know how to add 2 hours to my day?

F### it. I'm giving up this week and therefore starting up again after Labor Day.

I assume you mean exercise and not your diet. You can always try to eat clean, even when you are busy, out of town, or whatever.

I assume you mean exercise and not your diet. You can always try to eat clean, even when you are busy, out of town, or whatever.

Yup!! Well, other than the wings I had for dinner last night! ;)

Day 3 on the bike. I pretty much have my eyes closed when I jump on it. Empty stomach and then only water for 2 hours before I start my lemon water or tea routine.

F### it. I'm giving up this week and therefore starting up again after Labor Day. It's gonna be 90 today, high 80's the rest of the week, meaning I can't go out for my lunch walk all this week. And I have family stuff (niece is visiting from Europe) to take care of most of my evenings so I won't be doing much physical activity then either.

Or, does anyone know how to add 2 hours to my day?

what about an early morning walk before work? Even a short one.

what about an early morning walk before work? Even a short one.

I only get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night as it is, no way I can wake up any earlier to fit in a workout with my current schedule! I just have a lot on my plate right now that's taking up much of my time.

What I can still do it work harder on drinking water. All I had to drink yesterday was a Pepsi and half a bottle of water. That's IT! That is awful!

Grrrr... My sports doctor was still able to find a painful spot on my leg. He really is good at finding it. I thought it had resolved. 8 more weeks of the bone growth stimulator then my next recheck. If it isn't healed by then, I get scheduled for surgery.

Grrrr... My sports doctor was still able to find a painful spot on my leg. He really is good at finding it. I thought it had resolved. 8 more weeks of the bone growth stimulator then my next recheck. If it isn't healed by then, I get scheduled for surgery.

Bloody hell Mirya. What does surgery entail?

ROUGH week, back up 1.0 lb.

Gotta get to Drs. office after some more tests to see what exercise they will let me do.

You're pretty awesome for doing all that you do being in pain. :wub:

Bloody hell Mirya. What does surgery entail?

Standard of care is an interlocking nail. For that, they insert a rod (nail) down the marrow cavity of your tibia and fix the ends of the rod with screws. Like this:

A00522F05.jpg

However, 50% of patients with that procedure have persistent knee pain, particularly while kneeling. As I have to kneel a lot in my line of work, I'm not enthused by the idea of this complication. For that reason I'd prefer to have a compression plate applied. That surgical approach is a little more invasive (I'd have a scar down the length of my shin), but doesn't have the issue with chronic knee pain. Having a scar doesn't bother me. I just want this fixed.

You're pretty awesome for doing all that you do being in pain. :wub:

Thanks Kat. Bad new from doc this week, being forced into some significant lifestyle changes. International travel is going to be interesting...

Standard of care is an interlocking nail. For that, they insert a rod (nail) down the marrow cavity of your tibia and fix the ends of the rod with screws. Like this:

A00522F05.jpg

However, 50% of patients with that procedure have persistent knee pain, particularly while kneeling. As I have to kneel a lot in my line of work, I'm not enthused by the idea of this complication. For that reason I'd prefer to have a compression plate applied. That surgical approach is a little more invasive (I'd have a scar down the length of my shin), but doesn't have the issue with chronic knee pain. Having a scar doesn't bother me. I just want this fixed.

Anyone else see the unintentional funny here?

Sorry about your health issues M...I REALLY do understand.

Just been trying to eat healthy and hit up the gym. Finally able to bike again without my toes going numb - a source of real problems lately with me. Solved the problem and we're good to go. Gym today. Also started in with another workout group - all scientists on twitter - and that's going to help keep me going, too. Univ has a Brazilian JiuJitsu club that I am going to start working with a couple of days a week, too.

A00522F05.jpg

wow. that's major. I wish the best for your treatment, hope surgery can be avoided.

A00522F05.jpg

Ouch, looking at that hurts... Here's hoping for the best possible recovery for you :grouphug:

Thanks Kat. Bad new from doc this week, being forced into some significant lifestyle changes. International travel is going to be interesting...

Anyone else see the unintentional funny here?

Sorry about your health issues M...I REALLY do understand.

No offence taken! But I don't see the unintentional funny I made and now I've stared at my post for 10 minutes. Help me out! ;)

As frustrating as this is, I do recognize that I could have a more serious/debilitating chronic illness. I hope the lifestyle changes you are being forced to make have a beneficial longterm impact for you.

wow. that's major. I wish the best for your treatment, hope surgery can be avoided.

Ouch, looking at that hurts... Here's hoping for the best possible recovery for you :grouphug:

Thanks ladies!

Here is the timeline of me dealing with this stress fracture and why, in a way, I'm ready to have surgery:

- September 2014: Start experiencing left shin pain while running. Attribute it to shin splints since I haven't been doing a very good job following my training program, i.e. I get my long runs in on the weekends but not my short runs during the week.

- October 19, 2014: Run and finish my first marathon!

- November 2014: After resting for a few weeks post-marathon, try to go running. Experience even more severe shin pain than I had before. I actually carefully examined my leg and realized the painful spot is very focal, not diffuse along my shin like shin splints should be. See a sports physician who is affiliated with my running group and am diagnosed with an anterior tibial stress fracture. This is an uncommon type of tibial stress fracture. The doctor was very good about telling me at that very first appointment that these are frustrating fractures to treat that often go to non-union (i.e. don't heal), can refracture after healing or go to complete fracture. (A stress fracture only goes through one side of the bone where a complete fracture goes all the way through.) I'm put in an air cast boot and crutches and am completely non weight-bearing for 6 weeks.

- December 2014: I'm allowed to start toe touching and then eased over several more weeks into full weight bearing on the leg. All while still wearing the air cast boot. Left leg is creepy looking from disuse atrophy.

- January 2015: Weaned off of wearing the air cast over several weeks.

- February 2015: Fracture is declared healed! I'm given a walking program to follow to transition me back to running in a couple months. My left leg finally gets to regain the lost muscle.

- April 2015: As I'm at the end of the 8 week walking program I start to re-experience shin pain. Go in for radiographs. It's refractured at the same site. Curse profusely. Put back in the aircast boot.

- May 2015: Transitioned to an aircast splint since my ankle is starting to seize up from lack of mobility.

- June 2015: Fracture site is still tender to the touch. Doctor orders a bone growth stimulator.

- August 2015: Finally get the bone growth stimulator after it went through all the insurance approvals.

- September 2015: Have used the bone growth stimulator for a month. Fracture site is still tender to the touch. Plan is for another 8 weeks of the bone growth stimulator then reassess and plan surgery if it isn't healed.

So yeah, this has been close to a year now. At least it doesn't hurt for the most part. It is painful if you press directly over the fracture or if I stomp my foot (or I imagine if I were to try to run). Except in November and April, right after I had broken it each time, it doesn't really hurt while walking. Sometimes it just aches though.

As I have to kneel a lot in my line of work...

Sorry if this is little dirty minded of me, but it made me snort! This is the "unintentional funny" I was talking about.

I hope the lifestyle changes you are being forced to make have a beneficial longterm impact for you.

I hope so too. I am having to give up some of the activities that are near and dear no matter what. "Best case" long term impact would be avoiding the brutal two-level spinal fusion surgery, not ending up in a wheelchair, and not being in chronic 7+/10 pain for the rest of my life. Restrictions and spinal shots are probably a permanent part of my life now.

I'm sorry you have to suffer through that. Our boxer broke his femur bone when he was a pup. They put a rod in while it healed, like what you described. After the allotted healing period, they pulled the rod. A couple of weeks later the bone began to fold. The next surgery was to brake it again, realign it, an put on a plate (like what you are talking about). While they were putting in the screws, they discovered that his bone was very soft (which is why the bone collapsed after the rod was removed).

February 2015: Fracture is declared healed! I'm given a walking program to follow to transition me back to running in a couple months.

Wow, that was a long time ago. I can see why the doctor is being cautious. Take it slow when you get cleared again. We wish you well.

"Best case" long term impact would be avoiding the brutal two-level spinal fusion surgery, not ending up in a wheelchair, and not being in chronic 7+/10 pain for the rest of my life. Restrictions and spinal shots are probably a permanent part of my life now.

That sucks. Spinal surgery scares me; but if you are in that much pain, it might really help your quality of life.

I realize that I wasn't experiencing anything like what you have, but losing 50+ lbs really helped with my back pain. Hang in there.

Bummer. But F 8 more weeks. Try and schedule the surgery and just get it done with.

Sorry if this is little dirty minded of me, but it made me snort! This is the "unintentional funny" I was talking about.

OH GOD. :blush: Sometimes I am so blonde!

(Even though I'm a brunette who has been dyeing her hair red for ages.)

Glad you got a chuckle out of that. :D

Really, I just have to kneel to examine large canine patients. That isn't a euphemism! Vet med is an old profession, but not the oldest!

Crossing my fingers for the best case outcome for you, even though it isn't ideal.

Archived