Top Shelf Aquatics

####### Fatass Challenge

evanski

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So yesterday I switched from doing Jillian Michaels Beginner Shred to Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I have to say that I didn't enjoy it quite as much. It was clearly made a few years earlier, wasn't made for a wide screen TV, the music was more evident (and more annoying), there was more jumping, and you have to watch the intro each time in order to get to the workout menu.

That said, I'm pretty sore today. I even switched from using 12lbs hand weights to 8lb weights. I think I'll continue to use it for workout variation, but I wish she'd go back and remake this workout. However, I guess you can't be too picky about a $7 workout video.

I did the second workout today and my arms are aching. It's been a couple of decades since I've been so sore. It got me thinking that I should really start a weight lifting program, so I went ahead an ordered Body Beast. I was a little reluctant because of the time and discipline it took to lose nearly 60lbs (and body beast has you eat a surplus of calories in order to build muscle). You gain muscle and fat, then go through a cut phase to get rid of the fat.

I'm pretty sure that I won't strictly follow the nutrition program, but I'll apply some of the ideas. Also, I won't be taking all of the supplements (just a scoop of whey protein after workouts). We'll see how it goes. I don't expect (or want) to get huge, but I'd take a moderate increase in lean muscle mass. If I like it, I might alternate between interval training and weight training.

You know, I'm hardly a beef cake but at my gym in group classes the trainers won't let women use less than 10 pounders unless you're doing lateral lifts. (I can't believe I know an actual gym excercise term, so fly). Yeah so they allow 5-8 pounders for lateral lifts.

Only.

I'm just wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

Not if you can complete the reps while maintaining good form. Like you said, it depends a lot on what you are doing (which muscles you are working), and how many reps (or how long) on a particular exercise.

Keep in mind I'm 50 years old and haven't done any real weight training since college.

Getting ready for Body Beast:

090115a.jpg

Plates from Wally World, handles coming from Amazon (along with a chin-up bar). Supposedly, you don't need a lot of weight for the program.

Not if you can complete the reps while maintaining good form. Like you said, it depends a lot on what you are doing (which muscles you are working), and how many reps (or how long) on a particular exercise.

Keep in mind I'm 50 years old and haven't done any real weight training since college.

Getting ready for Body Beast:

090115a.jpg

Plates from Wally World, handles coming from Amazon (along with a chin-up bar). Supposedly, you don't need a lot of weight for the program.

Well Dang you showed me up didntcha, old man. j/k j/k :flower:

I think the only people sticking to their diet is Lawn and 12Egg.

Haha, it's not really that much weight (those are just 5lb and 2.5lb plates). Still, I figured it's time to build some more lean muscle before it gets too difficult (sucks getting old).

I'm going to have to get used to the idea of eating more carbs (and more calories). Nothing like 12Egg does, but it will still be a substantial change.

Here's my favorite review of the program: http://dysfunctionalparrot.com/health-and-fitness/bodybeast1/

Well Dang you showed me up didntcha, old man. j/k j/k :flower:

And moi. lol Keeping it to all natural foods (eggs, chicken, veggies, fruits) with protein shakes. Total calories a day roughly 2500-2700 but the protein intake is around 150-170 grams :o . Lawnman how you managing to cut 66,500 calories in 20 days?!

. Lawnman how you managing to cut 66,500 calories in 20 days?!

VERY good question.

Stats from Jawbone:

Sunday total burn 2103

Monday 2006

Tuesday 2039

Wednesday still counting :)

If I'm consuming ~1200-1400 calories (let's say 1400), I'm burning 600 more than I eat. Daily.

I should be losing 1 pound of weight every 6 days, right?

Been 20 days for me down 19lbs.

Sorry, havent been able to follolw this whole thread, but mind givin me the short version on how you did this? Great JOB!!!!!

VERY good question.

Stats from Jawbone:

Sunday total burn 2103

Monday 2006

Tuesday 2039

Wednesday still counting :)

If I'm consuming ~1200-1400 calories (let's say 1400), I'm burning 600 more than I eat. Daily.

I should be losing 1 pound of weight every 6 days, right?

Numerically, yes, realistically, no. Burning more than you consume puts your body into MEGA starvation mode, where your body not only holds on to fat and decreases metabolism, but it also catabolizes muscle which is a big sad face. Typically what I try and do is average out what my Resting Energy Expenditure (REE, calories burned if you just laid in bed all day) and shave 10% off of that for my caloric intake, and adjust accordingly to what I do for workouts. So lets say for instance my REE is 3,000 calories, I consume 300 less than that (roughly 1 LB of fat loss a week), increase my training while only slightly increasing the food intake to not create TOO large of a deficit.

Sorry, havent been able to follolw this whole thread, but mind givin me the short version on how you did this? Great JOB!!!!!

Atkins and cardio. And I know that was to Lawn. We are doing the same program.

7.7lbs down. This is the start of my 8th day.

Atkins and cardio. And I know that was to Lawn. We are doing the same program.

7.7lbs down. This is the start of my 8th day.

Great job! keep it up!

Numerically, yes, realistically, no. Burning more than you consume puts your body into MEGA starvation mode, where your body not only holds on to fat and decreases metabolism, but it also catabolizes muscle which is a big sad face. Typically what I try and do is average out what my Resting Energy Expenditure (REE, calories burned if you just laid in bed all day) and shave 10% off of that for my caloric intake, and adjust accordingly to what I do for workouts. So lets say for instance my REE is 3,000 calories, I consume 300 less than that (roughly 1 LB of fat loss a week), increase my training while only slightly increasing the food intake to not create TOO large of a deficit.

My resting burn is ~1400 so now what you said makes perfect sense about why I'm not losing weight. I'm eating as much as my REE.

And I'm not actively reducing the calories I eat - just avoiding refines carbs like bread. But I'm trying to burn more. I thought the 252 calorie bike in the morning would help that. I'm guessing jawbones caloric burn estimates are wrong then. I'm probably not burning as much as it says I am.

Carbs are just a double edged sword sometimes, you need them for fuel TO burn fat, but at the same time TOO much of them aids in excess wait gain.

You trying to say they don't work? Because they truly do. You just have to transition back to carbs properly.

I don't believe they are all horrible, I think diets like that are more of a mindset type situation. Carbs are extremely water retensive, which is why people have a massive loss at the start of a low carb diet. When my sister had me try the Advocare cleanse it made me want to eat healthy because of the $$ I had invested in it, I knew that I was only shedding water weight but I feel it does truly promote a healthier lifestyle (a kickstarter if you will)

Carbs are just a double edged sword sometimes, you need them for fuel TO burn fat, but at the same time TOO much of them aids in excess wait gain.

I don't believe they are all horrible, I think diets like that are more of a mindset type situation. Carbs are extremely water retensive, which is why people have a massive loss at the start of a low carb diet. When my sister had me try the Advocare cleanse it made me want to eat healthy because of the $$ I had invested in it, I knew that I was only shedding water weight but I feel it does truly promote a healthier lifestyle (a kickstarter if you will)

Ya they are for sure. Atkins has you eating 20-30 per day depending on your needs. I think you are really only supposed to eat like 200 carbs a day normally. People typically eat twice that. I know with Atkins I feel much better and I'm eating much healthier. When I cut weight for bootcamp 6 years ago I did it in 30 days using atkins. 25lbs in 30 days. I'm trying to do that again. I maintained it for about 4 years. The last 2 I became addicted to bread lol

I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin!! It's been too hot this week for my lunch hour walks, so I'm feeling very agitated and antsy. About an hour ago I couldn't take it so I took a walk around the building for a few minutes.

I'm seeing my mom after work tonight otherwise I would probably consider going for a walk this evening or even convincing the BF to take a run with me. By the time I get home it will be dark and not the best idea to be running around outside alone.

You know how you feel when you lay in bed all day and there's a point at which you HAVE TO move? Yeah, that's what I'm feeling right now. I'm wondering what I can do tonight... Maybe just a thousand jumping jacks in my living room?

got for a walk with your mom?

Going to meet with her and my niece for fast food dinner ( :blush: ) and then to the video game store. Tomorrow my niece leaves to go back home so tonight it's do what she wants. Dinner and shopping, then an hour drive home... -_-

Going to meet with her and my niece for fast food dinner ( :blush: ) and then to the video game store. Tomorrow my niece leaves to go back home so tonight it's do what she wants. Dinner and shopping, then an hour drive home... -_-

I KNOW!!

Dance_Dance_Revolution_North_American_ar

Archived