Cultivated Reef

####### Fatass Challenge

evanski

12_egg_Omelette

Just saw the pants comments, I have the opposite problem and it sucks, all my pants fit loose in the waist but tight through the quads, my wife hates that I pretty much live in shorts except the winter. She also said it looks like I took a big dump in my shorts because they get stretched through quads and sag.

I'll join posting.

5 a.m. oatmeal 1 cup dried in water

6 a.m. 8 egg whites +3 full eggs, 1 piece ezekiel bread plus peanut butter from those machines that baby bird it. + Coffee

8 :30 right now actually, 4 oz of steak marinated in lime and paprika.

10: shredded zuchinni and squash with 4 oz of grilled tilapia

12:30 another cup of coffee plus 1 cup of ground chicken/ground 98% beef/ground turkey mixed with bell peppers, corn, broc, etc

3:00 1 full sweet potato mixed with a packet of tuna

5:30: .5 cup of what I call masserole (what I had for 12:30 lunch)

7:00 oats mixed with a scoop of protein, milk, greek yogurt, and blue berries.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HecticDialectics

There is definitely this as well, probably more likely in the event lawn described but too few calories taken in and too many expended is no bueno

Studies actually only show about a 10% reduction in base metabolic rate. This is almost always something dumb fat people claim that eat too many calories lol

Having a breakfast of Kashi cereal mixed in with some blueberries and Dannon Light & Fit Greek blueberry yogurt. One of my favorite breakfasts. Already did 30 minutes on the bike too!

So, I get that fitbits, jawbones and such aren't accurate. I have a jawbone and if I'm running, it doesn't accurately track - it actually errs on the side of LPOS. BUT isn't the concept of losing weight burning more calories than you consume? So you wouldn't be dead if you consumed less than you burned. Granted, I"m not saying burning 2500 calories in a day without some serious working out is likely....

Actually, of all the pedometers, the Fitbit is the most accurate in terms of measuring your steps taken. IDK how it does in terms of calorie burn, I think all of them are off in that regard. I've worn a FitBit Zip for a few years and love it. I totally ignore its estimated calorie burn, I wear it for the step function (hence having the low end model). Seeing how many steps I've taken so far in the day really holds me accountable for my activity. Some days I think I will have moved a lot, look at my FitBit and then realize that I spent more time sitting than I thought and I need to get moving. Of course, that was easier done when I was allowed to walk more than I am now with this damn stress fracture.

Think what I meant is if you burn 2300 calories a day and eat 1800 you are negative 500. So if you did that every day?

Between July 2012 - July 2014 I lost a total of 125 lb. You can bet for that two year time period I was eating less calories than I was burning! I didn't die!

Just saw the pants comments, I have the opposite problem and it sucks, all my pants fit loose in the waist but tight through the quads, my wife hates that I pretty much live in shorts except the winter. She also said it looks like I took a big dump in my shorts because they get stretched through quads and sag.

I'll join posting.

6 a.m. 8 egg whites +3 full eggs, 1 piece ezekiel bread plus peanut butter from those machines that baby bird it. + Coffee

12:30 another cup of coffee plus 1 cup of ground chicken/ground 98% beef/ground turkey mixed with bell peppers, corn, broc, etc

What the hell dude... That sounds freaking awesome. Zucchini, tilapia, steak, sweet potatoes..... Sweet. Do you make this all yourself?

I'll join posting.

Ok, this cracked me up about your pants. I need to go see what ezekiel bread is and you realize you were 1 egg short of a dozen at 6 AM, right???? You have to live up to your name. I'm having some blueberries and walnuts at the moment.

Healthy breakfast shake:

1 cup ice (0)

1/2 cup milk (60)

1 banana (100)

Coffee (1 heaping tbs)

1 packet Swiss mix (138)

Total: <300

FFBB624D-BF83-4419-B354-1F4EA7124722_zps

8EFE6D52-7561-4471-A147-6E44CED69E9B_zps

wow Harold, this actually sounds and looks good!

12_egg_Omelette

What the hell dude... That sounds freaking awesome. Zucchini, tilapia, steak, sweet potatoes..... Sweet. Do you make this all yourself?

Yeah, I cook in bulk about twice to three times a week, usually Sunday night, Wed and Friday, it's just so much easier that way for me because of the amount of food I eat. I'd be cooking non stop and making a big mess of the kitchen otherwise. The masserole I usually make about 7 pound at once, grill a bunch of chicken that I'll grill and boil the other half to shred, make some chimmichurri, boil and bake a bunch of sweet potatoes, mash some cauliflower and add garlic to make a mashed potatoes substitute. Every now and then I'll juice some vegetables if I don't feel like I'm getting enough or lost some energy.

IMG_0756_zpsytzkr6fq.jpg

IMG_0761_zpsn7ouy0vy.jpg

IMG_0749_zpsfwzdwl9s.jpg

wow Harold, this actually sounds and looks good!

Why the tone of surprise?!??

I've been trying to eat healthier too. Summers are super tough- probably gained 15 right to the stomach. This is my daily breakfast- but it's snacking that kills me. Nuts, chocolate chips, etc

Why the tone of surprise?!??

I've been trying to eat healthier too. Summers are super tough- probably gained 15 right to the stomach. This is my daily breakfast- but it's snacking that kills me. Nuts, chocolate chips, etc

Sorry, little Harold, you are under 18, and therefore I still think of you as a kid. And lots of kids are dumb... -_-

Studies actually only show about a 10% reduction in base metabolic rate. This is almost always something dumb fat people claim that eat too many calories lol

Interesting - what leads to starvation response vs something like anorexia/actual starvation? Is it the difference between some food and no food?

HecticDialectics

Interesting - what leads to starvation response vs something like anorexia/actual starvation? Is it the difference between some food and no food?

Its just a natural biological response to extreme reductions in food intake. You'll still actually starve and continue losing weight. Just after a few months instead of 1900 calories baseline burn you might be at 1750. This also only happened when people where only eating like 1000-1200 calories. 1200<1750, still losing weight...

Normally people claim this is happening to them because someone overweight eating 3k a day might lose weight at 2.2k a day, but then level off, stop losing weight, and failing to decrease the calories again to like 1.8. If you're sustaining 275 lbs at 3k a day, you might only sustain 250 at 2.5 for example

Sorry, little Harold, you are under 18, and therefore I still think of you as a kid. And lots of kids are dumb... -_-

Okay okay, I'll take it. Two months! Lol

Its just a natural biological response to extreme reductions in food intake. You'll still actually starve and continue losing weight. Just after a few months instead of 1900 calories baseline burn you might be at 1750. This also only happened when people where only eating like 1000-1200 calories. 1200<1750, still losing weight...

Normally people claim this is happening to them because someone overweight eating 3k a day might lose weight at 2.2k a day, but then level off, stop losing weight, and failing to decrease the calories again to like 1.8. If you're sustaining 275 lbs at 3k a day, you might only sustain 250 at 2.5 for example

Ahhhh I see what you mean now. Thanks for the info.

There are two ways to create a caloric deficit. You can either eat fewer calories or you can eat the same amount of calories and increase your activity level to burn more calories. Since we're looking for fat loss without muscle loss, that activity should focus primarily on strength training, not cardio training. Although this may be contrary to popular belief, a 1999 study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition drives home the importance of strength training over cardio for fat loss without muscle loss while in a caloric deficit.

http://www.livestrong.com/blog/lose-fat-without-losing-muscle/

If your calorie intake is too low and your aerobic training is too tough, your body will produce the catabolic hormone cortisol, which breaks down muscle tissue. Anita Bean reports in The Complete Guide to Strength Training that, when you are working out hard and eating less, your body is working just as hard to find the fuel for all that energy expenditure. Metabolism consumes fat and protein -- and the protein comes from muscle fiber. Trigger protein consumption and you cannibalize your muscles to fuel your fat-burning, a self-defeating maneuver. The Mayo Clinic points out that muscle tissue burns more calories than fat tissue so, as you work off excess inches, preserving muscle improves your odds of weight loss success.
http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/body-burn-muscle-before-fat-5789.html

The major catabolic effects of cortisol involve its facilitating the conversion of protein in muscles and connective tissue into glucose and glycogen (cortisol may increase liver glycogen). Gluconeogenesis involves both the increased degradation of protein already formed and the decreased synthesis of new protein. Cortisol can also decrease the utilization of glucose by cells by directly inhibiting glucose transport into the cells. A cortisol excess can also lead to a decrease in insulin sensitivity. Cortisol also reduces the utilization of amino acids for protein formation in muscle cells. A cortisol excess can lead to a progressive loss of protein, muscle weakness and atrophy, and loss of bone mass through increased calcium excretion and less calcium absorption. That is one of the reasons long-distance runners tend to have skinny physiques.
http://thinkmuscle.com/supplements/cortisol-supplements/

The following photos illustrate examples of 3 models, each with similar low levels of body fat, but, each with drastically different amounts of lean body mass:

Jodie.jpgClaudia.jpegAnja.jpeg
http://www.bodyfatguide.com/NeverThinEnough.htm

Since body fat percentages are expressed as a ratio between body fat levels and lean body mass levels, the body fat percentages of anorexics are not always as low as one may suspect, mainly because their lean body mass levels are also low. Gaining healthy lean body mass would actually lower their body fat percentage. Losing even more lean body mass would raise their body fat percentage, but this is obviously not the solution to the anorexic's problem. The fact is that low body fat percentage is not the anorexic's problem; the problem is their low level of lean body mass and malnutrition!
http://www.bodyfatguide.com/stopanorexia.html

Wow...you scienced that right up, with actual evidence and not just "they said" bs attribution.

While I think cortisol is only one actor is a much larger play, the information you provided I think is very helpful to a broader understanding of health and body composition. Thanks!

12_egg_Omelette

Cardio is awesome for weight loss, in fact I still do it but limit it to about 30 mins a week, usually three 10 min session of 2, 15 minute sessions. However, the benefit of it is short lived, once you get past the excess post oxygen consumption phase. Remember the the benefit from running comes because for each liter of oxygen you use you burn ~5kcal.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, it would behoove oneself to focus on weight reduction primary then switch to building muscle because they are extremely hard to do at the same time and one suffers usually as a result. To build muscle you need an excess of calories, it'also important to ensure the calories are quality calories.

Cardio is awesome for weight loss, in fact I still do it but limit it to about 30 mins a week, usually three 10 min session of 2, 15 minute sessions. However, the benefit of it is short lived, once you get past the excess post oxygen consumption phase. Remember the the benefit from running comes because for each liter of oxygen you use you burn ~5kcal.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, it would behoove oneself to focus on weight reduction primary then switch to building muscle because they are extremely hard to do at the same time and one suffers usually as a result. To build muscle you need an excess of calories, it'also important to ensure the calories are quality calories.

So, if I'm looking to get up to speed for this 1/2 marathon in a few months, I should probably hold off on the weight training until done. Or maybe just do some light training?

Also, even if you are not BUILDING muscle mass, muscle is by far the most metabolically active tissue in the body. Large muscle group exercises (squats, rowing, pulldowns, etc.) burn a ton of calories. THis is true both of actual workout phase as well as recovery. If you can cut calories or at least shift them away from fat into lean protein, you can really make a difference in weight AND shape.

One of the programs I used to do was Orange theory fitness. Keep your heart rate in the orange zone and get a post workout burn of 200-300 more calories for the rest of the day. Seemed plausible

12_egg_Omelette

Alright, here are a couple articles I think would be awesome for y'all to look over if you wanted. No need to, I added a couple additional articles in here. I hate to say it, but I'm not going to highlight any of my work. I like privacy online, if you're interested you can PM me and we can chat about it in private.

Impact of exercise training without caloric restriction on inflammation, insulin resistance and visceral fat mass in obese adolescents. (2015). Impact of exercise training without caloric restriction on inflammation, insulin resistance and visceral fat mass in obese adolescents., 10(4), 311–319. http://doi.org/10.1111/ijpo.255

Health effects of intermittent fasting: hormesis or harm? A systematic review. (2015). Health effects of intermittent fasting: hormesis or harm? A systematic review., 102(2), 464–470. http://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.115.109553

A Human Thrifty Phenotype Associated With Less Weight Loss During Caloric Restriction. (2015). A Human Thrifty Phenotype Associated With Less Weight Loss During Caloric Restriction., 64(8), 2859–2867. http://doi.org/10.2337/db14-1881

Maximal Oxidative Capacity during Exercise Is Associated with Skeletal Muscle Fuel Selection and Dynamic Changes in Mitochondrial Protein Acetylation. (2015). Maximal Oxidative Capacity during Exercise Is Associated with Skeletal Muscle Fuel Selection and Dynamic Changes in Mitochondrial Protein Acetylation, 21(3), 468–478. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2015.02.007

Of mice and men (and muscle mitochondria). (2013). Of mice and men (and muscle mitochondria)., 98(4), 879–880. http://doi.org/10.1113/expphysiol.2012.071092

The C57Bl/6 mouse serves as a suitable model of human skeletal muscle mitochondrial function. (2012). The C57Bl/6 mouse serves as a suitable model of human skeletal muscle mitochondrial function. http://doi.org/10.1113/expphysiol.2012.070037

Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Function/Dysfunction and Type 2 Diabetes. (2012). Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Function/Dysfunction and Type 2 Diabetes (pp. 1–36). InTech. http://doi.org/10.5772/50130

Can we live longer by eating less? A review of caloric restriction and longevity. (2012). Can we live longer by eating less? A review of caloric restriction and longevity, 71(4), 315–319. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2011.12.017

Resistance Training During Weight Loss in Overweight and Obese Older Adults: What Are the Benefits?d. (2010). Resistance Training During Weight Loss in Overweight and Obese Older Adults: What Are the Benefits?d, 1–6. http://doi.org/10.1177/1559827610368245

Muscle physiology changes induced by every other day feeding and endurance exercise in mice: effects on physical performance. (2010). Muscle physiology changes induced by every other day feeding and endurance exercise in mice: effects on physical performance., 5(11), e13900. http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0013900

Resistance Training Preserves Fat-free Mass Without Impacting Changes in Protein Metabolism After Weight Loss in Older Women. (2009). Resistance Training Preserves Fat-free Mass Without Impacting Changes in Protein Metabolism After Weight Loss in Older Women. http://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2009.2

So, if I'm looking to get up to speed for this 1/2 marathon in a few months, I should probably hold off on the weight training until done. Or maybe just do some light training?

I would, I would also highly suggest a lot of core exercises as well,

One of the programs I used to do was Orange theory fitness. Keep your heart rate in the orange zone and get a post workout burn of 200-300 more calories for the rest of the day. Seemed plausible

What you're talking about is called excess post oxygen consumption and is relatively short lived, minutes not the rest of the day.

Archived