Pod Your Reef

Jackie's CADlights Versa 42/Taken down

jstuver

I am so mad, the other night a couple of my hammers fell. My blue wall hammer fell into my bubble coral and well the bubble coral won so I had to frag off a large portion before it went into the rest of it and killed the entire colony. Luckily I was able to save a portion of it and it's back on it's way to healing. My teal branching hammer fell into my florida ricordia rocks and kets just say the ricordia lost that battle. I lost half my colony of blue with the pinkish highlights and I lost the whole middle section of the orange rock that had the blue steels on it! I am so mad as these are my favorites pieces in my tank and now they are in pieces because I had to frag off a bunch just to stop the melting!

I am so mad, the other night a couple of my hammers fell. My blue wall hammer fell into my bubble coral and well the bubble coral won so I had to frag off a large portion before it went into the rest of it and killed the entire colony. Luckily I was able to save a portion of it and it's back on it's way to healing. My teal branching hammer fell into my florida ricordia rocks and kets just say the ricordia lost that battle. I lost half my colony of blue with the pinkish highlights and I lost the whole middle section of the orange rock that had the blue steels on it! I am so mad as these are my favorites pieces in my tank and now they are in pieces because I had to frag off a bunch just to stop the melting!

Oh no!!!! I'm so sorry, Jackie :(

Oh no!!!! I'm so sorry, Jackie :(

Thanks I was pretty mad, still am.

So sorry to hear about the hammers dropping. I love ur ric gardens and hope they can grow back into a nice size colony soon.

Thanks, I still have a lot it just makes me mad because I probably lost 10-15 of them

Nooooooo, not the puffy fluffy rics! :o

Well, I'm sorry about the hammer too.

I hope the hammer frags grow back quickly and the rics fill right back in. Do you have any of the blue steels anywhere else?

Nooooooo, not the puffy fluffy rics! :o

Well, I'm sorry about the hammer too.

I hope the hammer frags grow back quickly and the rics fill right back in. Do you have any of the blue steels anywhere else?

I was able to save 2-3 tiny pencil size eraser ones. I'm hoping they pull through. It looks like today I got the melting to stop so I am hopeful. The blue steels were huge though so it really sucks, these just happened to be some underneath babies luckily.

• Like 3

I was able to save 2-3 tiny pencil size eraser ones. I'm hoping they pull through. It looks like today I got the melting to stop so I am hopeful. The blue steels were huge though so it really sucks, these just happened to be some underneath babies luckily.

Since rics clearly do so well in your tank I'll bet they come back quick!
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright finally a full tank shot update. I have been slacking when it comes to updating. The tank is just over 10 months old now! I was having a few issues with some LPS heads dying or getting stung so I sold a few things, moved a few things around and hopefully it is under control. I need to get back to weekly water changes it just doesn't seem to be happening right now. So I think I get one in every 3-4 weeks:/

Anyway I added a large lyre tail anthers that a local was selling (mean little bugger, bit me already) and a starry blenny that I love watching.

I haven't seen my pom pom crab in weeks but I'm hopeful it's still alive.

Moved my powerhead to the side wall last night after I cleaned it so we will see if I like it better there.

On that note here's some pics.

Room view, this is a large hall/open area between the kitchen, living room and bedrooms

DSC06241_zps5q7gn952.jpg

Right side

DSC06240_zpsvgx3wdso.jpg

Left side

DSC06237_zpstwykh6bh.jpg

DSC06236_zpsky11rt3s.jpg

DSC06234_zpsh47srmfr.jpg

How's your tank doing these days Jackie? I'd love to see a fresh FTS!

Haha you posted right as I was posting:)

I can't seem to edit it but I cropped the last pic so it matched other FTS a bit better:

DSC06234-2_zpsj8hvffhz.jpg

• Like 8

Also I changed my salt with the last water change from the instant ocean purple box to the orange reef crystals box. It must contain a lot of alk and mag! My alk went up to 9.8 and my mag that was finally dropping is back up to roughly 1640. Any ideas on how to get my mag back down?

• Like 2

I ran into a similar problem with reef crystals, for some reason one batch had really high mag. Now I mix it with red sea blue bucket to bring the Alk down lower.

I don't know any tricks to bring mag down, sorry :(

The tank looks great though! I really like the full room shot. It's always cool to see what tanks really look like in the house.

• Like 1

I ran into a similar problem with reef crystals, for some reason one batch had really high mag. Now I mix it with red sea blue bucket to bring the Alk down lower.

I don't know any tricks to bring mag down, sorry :(

The tank looks great though! I really like the full room shot. It's always cool to see what tanks really look like in the house.

Yeah I was a bit worried about that I might have to figure something out as that all is too high for me.

Thanks I like the room shot too I love seeing where people keep their tanks as well

• Like 2

I wouldn't use any Reef Crystals at all, except the Red Sea Blue Bucket is low in magnesium. So I try to split the difference.

I wouldn't use any Reef Crystals at all, except the Red Sea Blue Bucket is low in magnesium. So I try to split the difference.

Grr I was thinking oh it will help because the purple box has such low calcium! Now I have a whole box of the orange reef crystals and don't dare use it again with that high of alk I would rather just compensate and add calcium to my water change water. Guess I will see if anyone local is interested.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just before I left to go camping this weekend I noticed more of my Florida rics melting!! I think that my huge bubble coral stung several of them, that thing has stinger tentacles that reach so freaking far! Anyway I fragged the rest of the rock and upon returning today I only have two left:( I am so mad about it as this was my huge rock of them that I already had to frag from the hammer falling on them. Needless to say it's time to rearrange the tank a bit and give the bubble corner it's own huge corner. I would sell it but I love it so I just get to move things:)

• Like 1

Just before I left to go camping this weekend I noticed more of my Florida rics melting!! I think that my huge bubble coral stung several of them, that thing has stinger tentacles that reach so freaking far! Anyway I fragged the rest of the rock and upon returning today I only have two left:( I am so mad about it as this was my huge rock of them that I already had to frag from the hammer falling on them. Needless to say it's time to rearrange the tank a bit and give the bubble corner it's own huge corner. I would sell it but I love it so I just get to move things:)

Oh no!! Sorry to hear about the rics. Everything else is looking wonderful though! I love those newest photos!!

Is that the orange ricordea rock in your last FTS???? :tears:

The bubble coral is pretty awesome so I don't blame you for not wanting to get rid of it. The bubbles are giant and such a pretty shade of green :).

Oh no!! Sorry to hear about the rics. Everything else is looking wonderful though! I love those newest photos!!

Thank you:)

Your tank is beautiful! I really love the mix of colors!

Thanks I really appreciate it!

Is that the orange ricordea rock in your last FTS???? :tears:

The bubble coral is pretty awesome so I don't blame you for not wanting to get rid of it. The bubbles are giant and such a pretty shade of green :).

Yes:( I'm so sad as of today there is one left!

If I had realized they were that close I would have moved them as the Ricordia were my favorite!

Thank you:)

Thanks I really appreciate it!

Yes:( I'm so sad as of today there is one left!

If I had realized they were that close I would have moved them as the Ricordia were my favorite!

Ugh....heartbreaking. So sorry :(.

Ugh....heartbreaking. So sorry :(.

I am so sad :(

Thanks guys it really sucked:(

Here ia a FTS for July

FTS July 8, 2016

DSC06845-2_zpsvklpumil.jpg

Moved a few things around and moved my huge bubble coral to the front so it can't sting everything:)

• Like 4

Well it still looks marvelous regardless of a bad bubble coral :). That bubble coral looks amazing BTW. makes me wish I had one of those bad boys :).