• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgrVII

• gena

• Slowtwitch

• Merthynia

As reptile keeper at heart, i send my condolences. Always sad.

Yea it blows :( and thank you.

OMG! Patrick :tears:. I am soooo sorry to hear this. How could this happen to the most pampered and loved reptile ever? It's so unfair. I am so sorry for you :(.

To be honest the crested princess, I wanna kinda put it on stress.

He was on the second floor,in a little nook area. I chose this spot because it's low traffic,dog free most the time,and there's no lights at

night. A few months ago,our roomate started using that area as a living room,he would play video games and or watch movies way after lights out for AJ. Chameleons can't even have the moonlight or red bulbs at night. And if I remembered or noticed my roomate was up I'd cover the cage with a towel. And alot of those nights he would leave all the lights on all night after he went to bed. Jackson's are notorious stressors unfortunately.

Cool little dude passed away damn!

Thanks outerorbiter :)

• Like 1

He was on the second floor,in a little nook area. I chose this spot because it's low traffic,dog free most the time,and there's no lights at

night. A few months ago,our roomate started using that area as a living room,he would play video games and or watch movies way after lights out for AJ. Chameleons can't even have the moonlight or red bulbs at night. And if I remembered or noticed my roomate was up I'd cover the cage with a towel. And alot of those nights he would leave all the lights on all night after he went to bed. Jackson's are notorious stressors unfortunately.

I remember you saying they were very sensitive and needed a low traffic area of the house. Sounds like that very well could be what caused it. It's a beautiful setup and I hope you are able to try again. Either get rid of the roommate or move the cage to a new location? :)
  • Like 3

I remember you saying they were very sensitive and needed a low traffic area of the house. Sounds like that very well could be what caused it. It's a beautiful setup and I hope you are able to try again. Either get rid of the roommate or move the cage to a new location? :)

Roomate is moving out soon I believe. Love the dude to pieces but I'm 31 and like my house my way :)

Yea I hope to be getting a panther chameleon soon from

Canvas Chameleons.

Nick is the owner and lives an hour away,so he said I could pick in person and see his setups. :D

Ambilobe-Sire-Louis-Product-510x600_zps9

This is the sire from the clutch I'd pick from

Panther Chameleons: Giving corals a run for their money.

• Like 8

Gorgeous! Are they less sensitive? Or are all chameleons the same. I just looked them up. Surprising they only live 5-7 years! Cresties can live 15-20! I wonder what the difference is.

• Like 1

Gorgeous! Are they less sensitive? Or are all chameleons the same. I just looked them up. Surprising they only live 5-7 years! Cresties can live 15-20! I wonder what the difference is.

I think it's their size honestly. They get rather large.

Yes they tend to be more agreeable to handling and such. Kinda bold creatures.

There's a video online somewhere of someone sunning theirs on their deck freely and a hummingbird comes in to get some nectar and it eats the bird!

• Like 3

There's a video online somewhere of someone sunning theirs on their deck freely and a hummingbird comes in to get some nectar and it eats the bird!

Oh gosh! I liked that up until you said it ate the hummingbird :lol:. Poor hummingbird!
  • Like 1

Oh gosh! I liked that up until you said it ate the hummingbird :lol:. Poor hummingbird!

Chams are badasses lol.

Hmm I know another bad ass on here named Brad,wonder of I should name the new one Brad haha :P

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about AJ, but I am going to be sooo jealous if you get a panther.....

Nick and I from Canvas Chameleons have been exchanging info all day,his panthers were in a recent national geographic about chameleons, he lives an hour from me :D

And thanks man,yea was a real piece of crap to find when I woke up today.

• Like 2

Yea it blows :( and thank you.

Thanks outerorbiter :)

Sorry for your loss :(

I've followed along and I'll be honest that I don't think the issue with the chameleon was due to the lightning changes or the odd schedule. I've kept chameleons for about 15 years and although I would agree that Jackson's are less hardy that Panthers and Veilds, you've had this guy since he was a baby and typically long term captive or raised Jacksons are pretty hardy.

One of the pictures you posted showed him sleeping but his right front arm was not holding on to anything and his eyes looked a little sunken, which could indicate some type of illness or dehydration. If he fell from a perch, while that could have caused an unrecoverable injury the issues that led up to it are often times much harder to identify until it's too late.

I would definitely recommend a panther, they are usually very very hardy. Would be happy to take a a look at/help with your set up as well and possibly some stuff that may have contributed to the loss (if you want, I'm sure it's a little saddening). Some of the most common factors that affect chameleon heath are having the proper UVB Lighting and maintaining vitamin supplementation. Natural sunlight is the best for any chameleon and if you can provide it during the warmer months (as long as they're not overly exposed to heat or can't get out of the sun) you will often notice a big improvement in their coloring, activeness and general robustness.

I'll dig around for some good reads on chameleons and post them here...they have always been and will always be my favorite reptile. Hopefully I'll have a big enough yard so I set up a greenhouse to maintain some of the bigger species.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss :(

I've followed along and I'll be honest that I don't think the issue with the chameleon was due to the lightning changes or the odd schedule. I've kept chameleons for about 15 years and although I would agree that Jackson's are less hardy that Panthers and Veilds, you've had this guy since he was a baby and typically long term captive or raised Jacksons are pretty hardy.

One of the pictures you posted showed him sleeping but his right front arm was not holding on to anything and his eyes looked a little sunken, which could indicate some type of illness or dehydration. If he fell from a perch, while that could have caused an unrecoverable injury the issues that led up to it are often times much harder to identify until it's too late.

I would definitely recommend a panther, they are usually very very hardy. Would be happy to take a a look at/help with your set up as well and possibly some stuff that may have contributed to the loss (if you want, I'm sure it's a little saddening). Some of the most common factors that affect chameleon heath are having the proper UVB Lighting and maintaining vitamin supplementation. Natural sunlight is the best for any chameleon and if you can provide it during the warmer months (as long as they're not overly exposed to heat or can't get out of the sun) you will often notice a big improvement in their coloring, activeness and general robustness.

I'll dig around for some good reads on chameleons and post them here...they have always been and will always be my favorite reptile. Hopefully I'll have a big enough yard so I set up a greenhouse to maintain some of the bigger species.

I had him since July he wasn't captive bred either he was export from Hawaii I believe. His light schedule was always te sane as was his misting cycle from the mist king. Sucks but such is life I suppose luckily I'm getting a nice healthy captive from Canvas soon
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear the news but I want to see this video.......

The new one you are after looks nice. I am not into lizards but that one might sway me a little ;)

• Like 2