SaltCritters.com

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Was going to go to the LFS today to get a pygmy hawkfish and a strawberry crab, but had my debit card info stolen, so was dealing with that and just didn't get to going. Might still go, they don't close til 7 today.

jedimasterben

Didn't go lol.

So I didn't like how noisy the pair of RW-8 got when they spun up in 'Else' mode and figured out my issue with my tank overfilling with the Gyre 130 (the magnet was blocking my bulkheads in my overflow). I put the Gyre 150, which has a thinner magnet, on the overflow and bam, silence, bangin' flow on setting 3/10 lol, and no overfilled tank or overflow noise.

jedimasterben

Just got back, pygmy hawk and the last strawberry crab in hand. I forgot to message the store owner and see if I could drop off my snake polyp rock in trade for them, whoops.

Just got back, pygmy hawk and the last strawberry crab in hand. I forgot to message the store owner and see if I could drop off my snake polyp rock in trade for them, whoops.

Hey Jedi want a bigass (5"x5") Stunner Chalice? Nobody will take it :(

jedimasterben

Hey Jedi want a bigass (5"x5") Stunner Chalice? Nobody will take it :(

Wow, that is pretty big! I think I have a spot for it one of the corners.

Wow, that is pretty big! I think I have a spot for it one of the corners.

Local shipping is like $20 overnight... Yes? I can throw in a red montipora frag as well :)

PMd. I need it out of my tank!

jedimasterben

So yesterday morning I was looking at the tank and noticed a snail on the glass about midway up the tank. It was just another day in the life of a snail until I realized it wasn't a cerith, but it was the Strombus gibberulus conch I got from kguske2 a couple of weeks ago. How the hell did a conch get all the way up there!!

IMG_20151213_082533568.jpg

IMG_20151213_082540430.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

After nearly four hours of work (had trouble getting my blood sugar up the whole time, so it took an excruciating amount of time) and two trips to Home Depot, I got my UV sterilizer installed yesterday. Left for my parents' house literally 30 minutes after powering everything back up, and just got home a little bit ago. ####tons of schmutz everywhere, but 100% of all dinoflagellate strings are gone. For those keeping track, that's 24 hours for a nearly 100% change (but it will never be 100%, so unfortunately without a strong UV, they will always come back).

IMG_20151224_170622165.jpg

In other tank news, besides dinos trying to kill my new gorgs, I got another clownfish on Saturday. This was, realistically, my last try - my big black female clown just likes to kill other clowns. She'll be civil with them for a day or so, then usually go on a terror spree. This time, she sized up the other clown immediately, then kept almost nudging it back to the anemone. The next day the new clown was chillin in the nem with the big bitch. Maybe this is the one!

The last week was pretty good. Didn't have to work (same with next week), and got to see lots of family.

IMG_4724.jpg

And of course, it was Ellie's first christmas.

IMG_4849.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4961.jpg

IMG_4988.jpg

And this is a, uh, thing my grandpa made in their backyard and put a little plane on top, they decided to slather it with lights lol

IMG_5036.jpg

jedimasterben

This is what the tank looks like from the end after adding 300mL of ROX 0.8 carbon. :o It is much less than it was before, but you can still see the green tint on the white flex PVC under the returns.

IMG_20151227_165722996.jpg

jedimasterben

Thanks dawn! It's still pretty sparse overall. The dinos have already killed the tips of a few gorgonians, so I'll need to get something in there to trim them, and the right rockwork is still pretty algae-ridden, with some of my macros coming loose and disappearing, so it doesn't look quite like I want it to. I look forward at some point to get a few more specific corals and get a bit more color going. :)

Archived