Coral Vue Hydros

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

To follow up with the Billy's Reef Connection CUC debacle (see here and here), looks like they've changed the 'sand sifting star' photos to show the species and common name of the starfish, but the description remains identical, and in it still mentions the species name of the Indo-Pacific Astropecten polycanthus star that the listing was originally for.

https://billysreefconnection.com/home/7635-luidia-clathrata-striped-sea-starfish.html

MORE INFO

Luidia clathrata is a member in the family Luiidae. This sea star has a small central disc surrounded by five long, flat arms. The arms contain tube feet which are used for locomotion.

The Sand Sifting Sea Star, at first glance, seems to be drably colored like most bottom dwellers. But closer inspection reveals a striking beauty and serenity to the alternating bands of brown and beige that dress this invertebrate's thick, spine-covered arms. Like other starfish, Astropecten polycanthus efficiently consumes mass amounts of detritus and uneaten foods. This nocturnally active member of the Astropectinidae family can move large amounts of sand as it burrows into the substrate in its search for food.

This peaceful omnivore will effectively clean even the largest home aquarium of detritus and left over food. Like other starfish, the Sand Sifting Sea Star will also consume small invertebrates, including shrimp, urchins, mollusks, bivalves, or other small sea stars. As such, the Sand Sifting Sea Star should be actively fed a varied diet consisting of natural food sources, especially in well-established marine aquariums. Otherwise, this voracious feeder will quickly clean your aquarium of detritus and then burrow into your substrate, starve, and eventually begin to decay.

To foster its feeding habits, the Sand Sifting Sea Star should be kept in aquariums with large, deep sand bottoms of several inches in depth. Since it is slower moving than most fish, the Sand Sifting Sea Star should not be housed with natural predators, including Puffers.

Like other invertebrates, the Sand Sifting Sea Star is very intolerant of sudden changes in oxygen levels, salinity, and pH and cannot tolerate copper-based medications. To successfully acclimate new specimens to your aquarium, use the drip acclimation method and never expose the Sand Sifting Sea Star to air while handling.

Breeding in the home aquarium is extremely difficult with no distinguishing characteristics to help differentiate between males and females.

The nassarius snail description has not been changed, but three photos have been added, one of which VERY clearly shows Gemophos whelks.

https://billysreefconnection.com/snails/7555-nassarius-snail.html

I also still have not received the partial refund for the items that I had to discard.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

When questioned about my partial refund and them still not updating their product pages, I received this reply from Billy's Reef Connection yesterday afternoon.

Dear Ben,

I apologized that you haven't gotten your refund. Billy just gave your refund today. We totally forgotten about it that day and was quite busy.

I want to tell you thank you for letting us know we have the wrong pictures and descriptions for certain items. If you would like to point out the correct pictures and descriptions for "sand sifting star" and "nassarius" please do! We will give you a 10% discount for your next purchase!

Regards,
Terry
Web Administrator

I will not be placing a second order with them, lol, but this was my reply:

Good morning. Never received the partial refund yesterday, and nothing yet as of this morning.

As for the photos/descriptions matching the products, the issue with the 'nassarius' I received is that they are the predatory whelk Gemophos tinctus. The fourth picture on the 'nassarius' product page is a G. tinctus whelk, note the very dark shell and the mottled flesh. They are obligatory predators, feeding on molluscs and bivalves, so snails, clams are on the menu. Nassarius vibex from the Atlantic is one of the ONLY whelks that is safe to be placed in a reef tank, as they are true scavengers. Another is Nassarius distortus from the Tonga region. For more information on whelks and identifying N. vibex,see here: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/rs/index.phphttp://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/mg/ http://www.jaxshells.org/0930.htm

As for the sand sifting starfish, the description is still of Astropecten polycanthus and needs to be changed to reflect the vast difference between it and the lined sea stars that are actually being sold. The line sea star is a very large starfish that need a large amount of food, and these starfish are known predatory, as they feed on bivalves in the wild. They are poor choice for a reef tank.

jedimasterben

And just like that I have the partial refund, but no reply as to the descriptions and such.

EDIT: They say now that they will not be selling their current inventory and will not be buying from that supplier again - but who knows how many of their customers have already bought them and didn't know the difference.

jedimasterben

Made a new rock structure yesterday so I can have low rocks to mount the new gorgs to. Should be getting a tube of TLF red/pink epoxy and 12 tubes of superglue gel in from Amazon today to be able to attach all of them.

IMG_20151208_173614035.jpg

IMG_20151208_173618787.jpg

jedimasterben

Four tubes of superglue gel and an entire stick of TLF epoxy later...

IMG_20151209_221843568.jpg

IMG_20151209_221836782.jpg

still a LOT of detritus in the tank, the skimmer had almost all water in it, but then I realized it literally had 2" of settled detritus in the bottom of the cup. :o

I like it! I'm starting to get the macro bug again. I had them in my 4g tank a long time ago, but I killed them all when I got the tank too clean.

jedimasterben

I like it! I'm starting to get the macro bug again. I had them in my 4g tank a long time ago, but I killed them all when I got the tank too clean.

I love them, but I'm still considering another rabbitfish to finish trimming this damned hair algae plague! Every time I think it is going down and the snails are doing their jobs, it looks worse the next day. Blech.

I moved the star grass and cactus caulerpa to the now DSB in the fuge section of the sump, gotta remember to put a light on it tomorrow. Oh crap, that reminds me, I don't think I can physically fit a second timer on the power strip I have. :/

I love them, but I'm still considering another rabbitfish to finish trimming this damned hair algae plague! Every time I think it is going down and the snails are doing their jobs, it looks worse the next day. Blech.

I moved the star grass and cactus caulerpa to the now DSB in the fuge section of the sump, gotta remember to put a light on it tomorrow. Oh crap, that reminds me, I don't think I can physically fit a second timer on the power strip I have. :/

Yo dawg, plug a power strip into your power strip?

jedimasterben

Shhhhh...

It's not that I'm expecting the fire marshal to make a walkthrough like he does at the schools I work for (and consequently fails them CONSTANTLY for doing bullshit like that lol), but having electricity this close to saltwater is already a fire hazard, don't want to keep adding to that :lol:

jedimasterben

I don't know Benny. Why would you want sea horses?

I wouldn't. They're overall boring, extremely restrictive as to their environment and tankmates, and I'd be essentially attaching a chain between myself and my reef. Not exactly something you want with an infant at home.

I wouldn't. They're overall boring, extremely restrictive as to their environment and tankmates, and I'd be essentially attaching a chain between myself and my reef. Not exactly something you want with an infant at home.

Ahh Ben, you are giving them a bad rap! They are not boring, they are exquisitely charming. The gentle way they caress one another with their tails is just so sweet. And they color up and greet me every morning because they are happy to see me, (and the cup of thawed mysis in my hand).

But you are totally right about some of their restrictions. They are high maintenance for sure and with a new baby it sounds like you have your priorities right. Just be gentle in your rejection, LOL.

jedimasterben

Ahh Ben, you are giving them a bad rap! They are not boring, they are exquisitely charming. The gentle way they caress one another with their tails is just so sweet. And they color up and greet me every morning because they are happy to see me, (and the cup of thawed mysis in my hand).

But you are totally right about some of their restrictions. They are high maintenance for sure and with a new baby it sounds like you have your priorities right. Just be gentle in your rejection, LOL.

I've seen their interactions with each other, and some of them are beautiful in coloration and pattern, but they really don't do too much, and don't hold my attention for very long. As it is right now, I can watch my two damsels swimming and bickering about, my two filefish are always on the move and always watching and learning, my clownfish is always angry at one of the other fish getting to close to her anemone, which I definitely couldn't keep with seahorses. Overall not a good choice in my book :)

I've seen their interactions with each other, and some of them are beautiful in coloration and pattern, but they really don't do too much, and don't hold my attention for very long. As it is right now, I can watch my two damsels swimming and bickering about, my two filefish are always on the move and always watching and learning, my clownfish is always angry at one of the other fish getting to close to her anemone, which I definitely couldn't keep with seahorses. Overall not a good choice in my book :)

Hey, variety is the spice of life, yes? You can enjoy your bickering damsels and angry clownfish while I enjoy my gentle, tender-hearted seahorses. It's all good because there is something in the ocean for everybody!

jedimasterben

Hey, variety is the spice of life, yes? You can enjoy your bickering damsels and angry clownfish while I enjoy my gentle, tender-hearted seahorses. It's all good because there is something in the ocean for everybody!

Exactly, that's what is great about the hobby. Seahorses, predators, mantis shrimp, even jellyfish! :)

Exactly, that's what is great about the hobby. Seahorses, predators, mantis shrimp, even jellyfish! :)

You had me till you said jellyfish.. freaking jellyfish

So did you "beat" dino by ditching the sand bed? I had a plague show up in my 45g. I tore it down last night, removed the sand bed, cleaned the sump/tank and did 100% water change. Basically removed any debris.

I have had it in my 40B before but it was always a small mount, this new stuff was everywhere so quickly that I just decided to tear it all down and clean it up like new. Hoping removing the nutrient sinks will help.

Archived