Innovative Marine Aquariums

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

Marc.The.Shark

Got home and found what looks to be the anthias against the powerhead. Looks like the damsel beat it up too much and I didn't get it out fast enough. :(

Good news, though, the yellowtail is now sumped and the springer's damsel is out and about. Too bad, the yellowtail was pretty. Maybe I'll try a Kupang next.

Same here. My Yellowtail is a little Bastard, was ramming the shit out of my clown to the point he was going to kill it. Had to bottle trap that little F'er and put him in the sump, took 2 days to trap cause I couldn't net him in the Cylinder, no way. That was a month ago or so & now he's made his way past the screen I have after the Fuge & into the return chamber way in the back. Thought he was dead, but no. Just no more pods make it to the display now, eats them all! Too bad, they're very active & full of color & only 4 bucks! Definately need to be added last to rhe tank & maybe then ok with tank mates.IDK. I've had them before & not this aggressive, but this one was in there for a couple months by himself.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Yeah, I've had several yellowtails in the past that were really passive, this one really has a stick up his ass. Oh well, don't care anymore, he can live out his days in the sump :)

jedimasterben

If you're still looking for Turbo's, one of my local reef shops have them & will ship. You can give them a call if interested.

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/tropicorium/212858-horn-sharks-rays-inverts-just-pics-w-prices-11-19-a.html

I actually have a dozen Caribbean turbos now and they're doing a pretty bangup job, but thanks :)

Isn't that the place where the owner got arrested for doing all sorts of illegal shit?

Marc.The.Shark

I actually have a dozen Caribbean turbos now and they're doing a pretty bangup job, but thanks :)

Isn't that the place where the owner got arrested for doing all sorts of illegal shit?

yeah, down in your neck of the woods. Illegal collection of sea fans I think. He does a lot of in house propagation, coral, fish, sharks etc. His son is effectively running the place, but he's still around. Too bad cause they do a lot of good sustainable propagation there. He had some story about how it all came about, I forget now, but he basically said he was wrong.

jedimasterben

yeah, down in your neck of the woods. Illegal collection of sea fans I think. He does a lot of in house propagation, coral, fish, sharks etc. His son is effectively running the place, but he's still around. Too bad cause they do a lot of good sustainable propagation there. He had some story about how it all came about, I forget now, but he basically said he was wrong.

He was on the hook for more than just sea fans lol, was trafficking sharks and alligators, as well as other things. I'm honestly surprised he walked away with probation and a $15K fine. I figured FWC would make an example of him.
Marc.The.Shark

He was on the hook for more than just sea fans lol, was trafficking sharks and alligators, as well as other things. I'm honestly surprised he walked away with probation and a $15K fine. I figured FWC would make an example of him.

Didn't know that. Here's a copy of the apology he posted to the local board if you're interested. Some people were Blasting him! lol

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/vendor-experiences/175458-letter-apology.html

Nice new skimmer Ben. I've looked at the Coral Box when I was doing my budgeting. Anything in particular that made you go for this over the DC powered Bubble Magus or Skimz skimmers?

jedimasterben

Nice new skimmer Ben. I've looked at the Coral Box when I was doing my budgeting. Anything in particular that made you go for this over the DC powered Bubble Magus or Skimz skimmers?

The DC Skimz brand start at around $400, as does the Bubble Magus D8. This was less than half that cost. Build construction is excellent, the pump is dead silent, and so far is pulling a rather thin skimmate, but I also have it set almost two inches deeper than the recommended level. Trying to figure out an 'elegant' way to raise it, as my current skimmer stand does a minimum of double that distance. :/

The DC Skimz brand start at around $400, as does the Bubble Magus D8. This was less than half that cost. Build construction is excellent, the pump is dead silent, and so far is pulling a rather thin skimmate, but I also have it set almost two inches deeper than the recommended level. Trying to figure out an 'elegant' way to raise it, as my current skimmer stand does a minimum of double that distance. :/

Ah fair enough. Yes I did notice that these were cheaper than the other alternatives but I was a bit skeptical of their built quality. I may have to take another look at these then. Although, a recent price drop locally of the Bubble Magus Curve 5 to $194AUD still makes that a very tempting option. DC isn't a huge selling factor on my skimmer at the moment but if I can get a DC option for the same price as an AC option I'll probably select DC.

jedimasterben

Ah fair enough. Yes I did notice that these were cheaper than the other alternatives but I was a bit skeptical of their built quality. I may have to take another look at these then. Although, a recent price drop locally of the Bubble Magus Curve 5 to $194AUD still makes that a very tempting option. DC isn't a huge selling factor on my skimmer at the moment but if I can get a DC option for the same price as an AC option I'll probably select DC.

I will never use an AC pump again if I can help it. I've never had an AC skimmer pump, from knockoffs to name brands, that was silent. Some more quiet than others, but never silent, always had air noise or a slight motor hum. The DC-2000 has neither, it is perfectly silent. That sold me on it!

I will never use an AC pump again if I can help it. I've never had an AC skimmer pump, from knockoffs to name brands, that was silent. Some more quiet than others, but never silent, always had air noise or a slight motor hum. The DC-2000 has neither, it is perfectly silent. That sold me on it!

I think you may have sold me on it also. Hmmmmm

jedimasterben

I think you may have sold me on it also. Hmmmmm

:D

Also, speaking of things and selling and buying, what started out as buying a 980ti has turned into almost a complete overhaul. New motherboard, new RAM, new case, new monitor, new mouse and keyboard and mousepad, and to top it off I got a bangin' deal on a new 1TB Samsung 850 Evo. It's like christmas here :D

righttirefire

My nuvo is louder than my sumped 20. It's the overflow into inTank media basket. Changing floss daily helps the noise. It has a cobalt mj900.

The ehiem 1250 is pretty quiet on my sumped 20. But I'm going to dc next. Maybe before upgrading, dial down a dc-3000...

My nuvo is louder than my sumped 20. It's the overflow into inTank media basket. Changing floss daily helps the noise. It has a cobalt mj900.

The ehiem 1250 is pretty quiet on my sumped 20. But I'm going to dc next. Maybe before upgrading, dial down a dc-3000...

What sort of noise in your Nuvo? The pump itself or water cascading onto floss?

jedimasterben

Once you go DC.... :D

HOLY SHIT I FOUND A PATCH OF CORALLINE ON ONE OF MY ROCKS

Once you go DC.... :D

HOLY SHIT I FOUND A PATCH OF CORALLINE ON ONE OF MY ROCKS

I read you can fit a DCT-3000 in the RL-45 with a Y splitter! But that's probably overkill lol

jedimasterben

I read you can fit a DCT-3000 in the RL-45 with a Y splitter! But that's probably overkill lol

I'd believe it. The DC-2000 is unbelievably tiny. The DC-6000 I have as a return isn't really very bit, but the 2000 is just puny. Still pretty strong, though.

:D

Also, speaking of things and selling and buying, what started out as buying a 980ti has turned into almost a complete overhaul. New motherboard, new RAM, new case, new monitor, new mouse and keyboard and mousepad, and to top it off I got a bangin' deal on a new 1TB Samsung 850 Evo. It's like christmas here :D

I was going to ask you if you got he D500 or D700 skimmer but I see you picked up the D500. That's the model I will probably need myself for a sumped 55G SPS heavy reef. I don't think the D700 would fit in my skimmer chamber, the pump on that thing is also the same one as I will be using for my return lol. Think the D700 will be a bit overkill but considering the D500 and D700 are the same price from the Aus warehouse it may be worth while seeing if I can squeeze it in.

I replaced my SLI GTX670 earlier this year with a 970 which has also prompted me to seriously consider an upgrade. The SSD will be next but my 2500K is on its last legs I think lol.

jedimasterben

I was going to ask you if you got he D500 or D700 skimmer but I see you picked up the D500. That's the model I will probably need myself for a sumped 55G SPS heavy reef. I don't think the D700 would fit in my skimmer chamber, the pump on that thing is also the same one as I will be using for my return lol. Think the D700 will be a bit overkill but considering the D500 and D700 are the same price from the Aus warehouse it may be worth while seeing if I can squeeze it in.

I replaced my SLI GTX670 earlier this year with a 970 which has also prompted me to seriously consider an upgrade. The SSD will be next but my 2500K is on its last legs I think lol.

I think the D500 would be fine for you, but if they're the same price, go for it. Being DC it will make it a bit easier to tone it down if it's too much.

I wasn't planning on upgrading so much, but SO MANY DEAL EVERYWHERE. The 980ti was a damned good upgrade from the 780. My 780 overclocked to 1333MHz, which was very high for Kepler as a 24/7 clock. The 980ti at stock 1200MHz was 50% faster, and I managed to clock it to 1405MHz stable at just a tad over stock voltage.

The 2500 still has a little bit of usefulness left, though with Skylake, clock for clock you'd gain around 20-25%. It's only a minimal gain from my 4790K, so I figured I'd just grab a set of DDR3-2400 and ride it out for a while until there is a compelling reason to upgrade to a new platform and DDR4. I was surprised to see that Fallout 4 is so sensitive to RAM speed, in some cases a 20% difference in frames. Didn't seem to help me out any in the cities, though, I still dropped to ~45fps anywhere in the larger cities. The game DEFINITELY needs some work.

I just finished downloading Windows 10 TH2 to make a new 'almost LTSB' installer to do a fresh install when I get all of the parts and everything in hopefully late this week.

I think the D500 would be fine for you, but if they're the same price, go for it. Being DC it will make it a bit easier to tone it down if it's too much.

I wasn't planning on upgrading so much, but SO MANY DEAL EVERYWHERE. The 980ti was a damned good upgrade from the 780. My 780 overclocked to 1333MHz, which was very high for Kepler as a 24/7 clock. The 980ti at stock 1200MHz was 50% faster, and I managed to clock it to 1405MHz stable at just a tad over stock voltage.

The 2500 still has a little bit of usefulness left, though with Skylake, clock for clock you'd gain around 20-25%. It's only a minimal gain from my 4790K, so I figured I'd just grab a set of DDR3-2400 and ride it out for a while until there is a compelling reason to upgrade to a new platform and DDR4. I was surprised to see that Fallout 4 is so sensitive to RAM speed, in some cases a 20% difference in frames. Didn't seem to help me out any in the cities, though, I still dropped to ~45fps anywhere in the larger cities. The game DEFINITELY needs some work.

I just finished downloading Windows 10 TH2 to make a new 'almost LTSB' installer to do a fresh install when I get all of the parts and everything in hopefully late this week.

I'll need to take a serious look at the skimmer. The price difference with freight is almost $100 more for D500/D700 over the Curve 5 that I almost nearly purchased over the weekend. For me skimmer noise has never been that big of an issue as I run mine on a timer turning it off at 11pm and back on at 7.30-8am. Hmmm, need to check my budget.

Unlike you guys in the states, we don't get any Black Friday deals over here. I might look at snagging a few deals on Newegg though. The 2500k has served me well, has had a 4.5GHz overclock on it since I built the thing 4 years ago and it has never skipped a beat. It is definitely the bottleneck in my current system though so I'll be looking a bit closer at Skylake in the new year. With the cost of DDR4 RAM dropping it makes it a more enticing upgrade so if I can get away with an i5/i7, 16GB RAM and a mid range motherboard for $800AUD I'll probably go with the upgrade. Either that or spend the money on a new set of wheels for the car lol.

jedimasterben

I'll need to take a serious look at the skimmer. The price difference with freight is almost $100 more for D500/D700 over the Curve 5 that I almost nearly purchased over the weekend. For me skimmer noise has never been that big of an issue as I run mine on a timer turning it off at 11pm and back on at 7.30-8am. Hmmm, need to check my budget.

Unlike you guys in the states, we don't get any Black Friday deals over here. I might look at snagging a few deals on Newegg though. The 2500k has served me well, has had a 4.5GHz overclock on it since I built the thing 4 years ago and it has never skipped a beat. It is definitely the bottleneck in my current system though so I'll be looking a bit closer at Skylake in the new year. With the cost of DDR4 RAM dropping it makes it a more enticing upgrade so if I can get away with an i5/i7, 16GB RAM and a mid range motherboard for $800AUD I'll probably go with the upgrade. Either that or spend the money on a new set of wheels for the car lol.

Psh, who the heck needs new wheels? :P

If you ever find a bangin deal and they want too much to ship it to you (or don't ship internationally), let me know, I'm not opposed to getting them here and shipping them out to you :)

Archived